Unofficial Preview Round 15 v Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need official preview writers for next week and on!

Anyone can give it a go!

The only way we win this is as the hunters again. I hope we consider ourselves major underdogs and nobody tips us.
Based off Port's performance they would arguably be underdogs to the Roos this week.

Always hard to win at Adelaide Oval v Port
We have a much better recent record v Crows with 2 wins a draw and 1 loss by 17 points R11 of 2023.
So maybe it's the opposition rather than how we handle the ground.
Early odds for the game

View attachment 2022308
Didn’t realise our record was that bad at Adelaide oval of 3 wins and 9 losses and one draw with only the one win v Port (5 losses). Port has also put up massive scores against us in those five losses of 159, 136, 121, 97 and 126. When we won we kept them to a measly 49. Our biggest score when we won was only 97 so perhaps if we can get to 100 we’ll likely win.

Our two wins v the Crows we scored 111 and 102 and in our losses to them the Crows also amassed big scores of 131, 177 and 95 and the when we won we limited them to 59 and 66.

Who’d have thought, the more we score and the less our SA opponents do, we tend to win haha

Always hard to win at Adelaide Oval v Port
We have a much better recent record v Crows with 2 wins a draw and 1 loss by 17 points R11 of 2023.
So maybe it's the opposition rather than how we handle the ground.
Early odds for the game

View attachment 2022308

We'll get blitzed with pace, run and carry through the middle usually. But we appear to be doing some level of midfield planning now so it gives me some hope we'll be prepared to address their weapons.

Need to do something unusual like what GWS did with Bedford on Butters. May have to send Bruce or Wilmot to the middle and follow Butters around. We need someone to keep pace with him and have the smarts to react to what he'd do.

Similarly, Berry to Horne-Francis. Shut him down, wrestle with him, do your thing and make sure he doesn't get an easy run to the ball drop.

Play the usual card that everyone plays on Aliir Aliir, if he's on you then you're straightaway getting on your bike, lead to the wing and drag him away.

Take care of these three and the rest, we can go head to head and see how we go. I believe we'll be a good chance with a bit of planning and keeping our game style together for 4 quarters.

I’d have preferred he played; he’s slow and bog average. Just the type you want playing for the opposition.
He's good for a couple of moments a game still. Having seen Port on the weekend, I'm not sure any of their other forwards are good for one moment.

I’d have preferred he played; he’s slow and bog average. Just the type you want playing for the opposition.
Could well be an appeal - seems like bump is fine and the bad part is his head hit the ground, but that can't be the player's fault can it? the bump is 'too hard'?

Lord was very quiet on the weekend but excellent in the QF last year with 4 goals, suspect he gets another go.

Georgiades was good on the weekend.

Marshall in a bit of a flat spot but usually very accurate so only needs a few looks at it.

It's not a terrifying list of 3 key forwards, but they can all hit the scoreboard.

The big factors in selection will be A) Does Rioli get up after his calf injury, he was on track as of last week and B) Does Butters get rubbed out. I really doubt it from the vision but the AFL hates off the ball stuff so you never know.

If either don't play will be a huge bonus. Our two best wins featured the dogs with a few outs, and the dees had Pickett rubbed out and Oliver with one hand. I feel like where we are at right now we actually need a side with a player or two out. that might change if we build some more wins.

We have started well and still lost some games, but feel like the start is huge in this game. Power have lost 2 in a row and fans seem ready to turn on them. If we get a few goals up it could turn in to a really flat atmosphere for the home side.

The hawks game was one in which letting them jump us was the difference - the hawks got such a surge of belief once they got a couple of goals up, and arresting that momentum was hard.

we have had 2 quite good wins on the road v dogs and dees

but the giants, hawks and to lesser extend freo games were pretty poor.

Didn’t realise our record was that bad at Adelaide oval of 3 wins and 9 losses and one draw with only the one win v Port (5 losses). Port has also put up massive scores against us in those five losses of 159, 136, 121, 97 and 126. When we won we kept them to a measly 49. Our biggest score when we won was only 97 so perhaps if we can get to 100 we’ll likely win.

Our two wins v the Crows we scored 111 and 102 and in our losses to them the Crows also amassed big scores of 131, 177 and 95 and the when we won we limited them to 59 and 66.

Who’d have thought, the more we score and the less our SA opponents do, we tend to win haha
I feel as though there will be a big emphasis on defence this week after the Saints put up 106 at the Gabba.
So maybe that bodes well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see the calls for McKenna, Bailey and Ah Chee to be replaced on form. Charlie in that camp too, to some degree. Legitimate by some standards. However if we go back 7 or 8 games there was probably another half dozen players down on form as well that have since turned it around. These good players will too. I like Brain, have a new respect for Sharpie and the new guy Beecken may have had a good first game but they aren't McKenna, Bailey or Ah Chee. If they're not injured they play.

Should Answerth be unavailable then Brain or Sharp take the sub role. That's the only change if it's too happen.

Berry will get a tagging role again, against whom I'm not sure. Butters or the kid. Rozee will need to be watched. They don't have a bad team. Port play well at home against us. We will need to be better than last week. We had defensive lapses v Saints, an area we have been pretty good at. I think that's an easy fix. Can't declare a win here, 50/50. Although we're a better chance now than a cpl of months ago.

Family will all be in Adelaide for this critical game. All strictly forbidden to wear Lions stuff bearing in mind the security precautions the umpiring officials are apparently obliged to follow at this venue. Getting more like the EPL every year. Disgraceful.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
do you mean stewards? Why woudl the umpires care what you are wearing

This is a year of readjustment for us. Next year with 2 Ashcrofts and Beecken in plus hopefully Coleman back near his best and our KPP'S still on the improve will be our year . I hope.

Don't want to get howled down but not overly concerned as to what we do from hereon in though I expect to win this game if Butters doesn't play because he's one player who could dominate and the rest of them are good to average.

Not liking all these footy shows tonight absolutely baking Port and highlighting how poor many of their players are and some strong language about their efforts- you just know when that happens that those sides have an extra point to prove.
Yeah this could be a last hurrah match for them and with us already just about out of contention it's going to test how serious we really are about our chances this year.

Not liking all these footy shows tonight absolutely baking Port and highlighting how poor many of their players are and some strong language about their efforts- you just know when that happens that those sides have an extra point to prove.
Counterpoint, Ken Hinkley

I swear it seems to happen every time they are about to face Lions. Collingwood when they had a horrible start to the season, Hawks when they choked in the final seconds against Port, Saints with their ugly and controversial win against Suns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back