Autopsy Round 24, 2024 - Saints defeat Boos

Remove this Banner Ad

Has StFly been delisted?

I knew I should have gone to the cats, might have gotten a farm out of it, but instead I'm Nathan Wright...

On Pou's miss... I wanted Nas to back himself to kick the goal. The kick from him to Phillipou was delightful, but I feel backing his skills to kick long goals is the last piece of the puzzle for Nas.

For me, Nas lacks confidence up forward, in mid and D50 he's fine but in F50 it's like he feels hemmed in so he hesitates a bit and thus hands off more than backs himself in. This for me anyway is why Bonner was preferred, as he pings them no problem from those same spaces where Nas hesitates a bit.

Spare me your dribble mate - you don’t like my opinion I’m ok with that …put up an alternative
You’ve responded twice - not once footy related
If you’re looking for internet friends there’s plenty of lonely hearts sites you could try but otherwise try muster a opinion on footy or jog it ain’t hard
If you actually cared you would've seen my footy related opinion sandwiched between three of your non footy related jabs at other posters. But I'm pretty sure at this point you're just trolling so I'm done engaging with you.

The only way that argument has legs is if the top 10 picks is preordained and everyone knows the merit of each player. History would suggest that is not the case and from all reports especially not this year. Not my area of expertise but there doesn't appear to be any Daicos or Reid's waiting to be claimed this year.
I’m not talking about Daicos or Reid who were always going in the top few, I’m just saying we’ve lessened our chances of finding a Bont or Oliver who generally come in the top 4-5 picks.

All I’m saying is I would’ve gone about the second half of the year differently because despite how well we’ve played the last few weeks it’s looking eerily similar to how 2020 and 2021 went and how did that pan out for us. Hard work isn’t going to get us out of the middle, we need game changing players. We’ve got plenty to work with but you can’t argue we don’t need more. Hopefully we can find ourselves a Will Day or Flanders type that went a bit later.

I’m not talking about Daicos or Reid who were always going in the top few, I’m just saying we’ve lessened our chances of finding a Bont or Oliver who generally come in the top 4-5 picks.

All I’m saying is I would’ve gone about the second half of the year differently because despite how well we’ve played the last few weeks it’s looking eerily similar to how 2020 and 2021 went and how did that pan out for us. Hard work isn’t going to get us out of the middle, we need game changing players. We’ve got plenty to work with but you can’t argue we don’t need more. Hopefully we can find ourselves a Will Day or Flanders type that went a bit later.

Jesus imagine if we'd been stuck with an Oliver.
What would your chances have been of finding a Bont or Oliver the year AFTER Oliver was in there.
Most draft watchers will tell you there probably isn't a Bont or Oliver in the draft this year.

Jesus imagine if we'd been stuck with an Oliver.
What would your chances have been of finding a Bont or Oliver the year AFTER Oliver was in there.
Most draft watchers will tell you there probably isn't a Bont or Oliver in the draft this year.
Most draft watchers wouldn’t have a clue what’s in the draft. If they knew how good Bont and Oliver were going to be they would’ve gone #1. It’s always a lottery but if there is one we most likely won’t be getting it now but it’s not the end of the world. We’re currently stuck in no man’s land and I’d be pulling any lever we could to get out of it.

My mindset going into the game is win at all costs and if we lose then good we at least keep the draft picks.

But to those sitting there saying we should've lost ask yourself if Geelong Collingwood or Sydney would go the tank or would they maintain their culture and gameday standards?

At the end of the day tanking never does any good and can actively destroy teams. Better to go all out and trust our recruiters to pick elite talent with the top 10 picks they'll have in a deep draft.
I don’t necessarily disagree with you but I thought I’d point out that Collingwood finished in these ladder positions:
2019 - 4th
2020 - 8th
2021 - 17th
2022 - 4th
2023 - 1st

A one season tank and some father sons did them okay…

I see what you’re saying, but worth remembering Butters, Cripps and Serong were picks 12, 13 and 8 respectively. Flanders has taken off for GC he was pick 11. Most of Sydney’s midfield for most of this year (aside from like Heeney) are players taken in 20s and 30s.

The talent will be there you’ve just got to get it right.

I don’t necessarily disagree with you but I thought I’d point out that Collingwood finished in these ladder positions:
2019 - 4th
2020 - 8th
2021 - 17th
2022 - 4th
2023 - 1st

A one season tank and some father sons did them okay…

That one season tank they didn’t even have pick 2 because they traded it out

They were lucky to get Daicos because the competition is rooted

The thing about culture is you can’t turn it on and off like a tap.
You can’t decide to lose then just decide to start winning.
It’s something that permeates the club from top to bottom. It’s not accepting 2nd best.
People outside of the saints community have always talked about us as having a loser mentality.
If we start choosing when to win and when to lose we will lose again and again.

In regards to list management.
There’s 2 sides to the coin.
Drafting and trading.
Drafting takes endless hours of work finding the talent and then having the system in place to grow that talent- part of that is also having the culture where players inspire each other with acts of bravery, skill and risk. Our last minute yesterday was one such moment. Jack Higgins got on the end of it but how good were the players that got it to him.

Trading requires players from opposition clubs to believe what you have is worth moving for. They also want inspiration.

Yes a high draft pick is good but maybe what we were also trying to do as a culture with our wins was say to the whole league. Anytime, anywhere. This is what we stand for as a club and playing group.
Excellent post. Lyon said as much himself in his presser. He referenced how the team was impressed with Collingwood's attitude to their dead rubber game against Melbourne. The spirit and endeavor they showed. It was all about the winning culture Macrae has manufactured at their club.

If you actually cared you would've seen my footy related opinion sandwiched between three of your non footy related jabs at other posters. But I'm pretty sure at this point you're just trolling so I'm done engaging with you.
You’re right I don’t care.

Most draft watchers wouldn’t have a clue what’s in the draft. If they knew how good Bont and Oliver were going to be they would’ve gone #1. It’s always a lottery but if there is one we most likely won’t be getting it now but it’s not the end of the world. We’re currently stuck in no man’s land and I’d be pulling any lever we could to get out of it.
We’ll said mate - clearly better than I did but you summed up my view
It’s about maximum opportunity to get the best and the only thing a draft order does is give you a choice ahead of others - of course you still have to pick right and of course there’s players whove been found at pick 78 but that’s not the point
We have so few levers to get a leg up but it’s done now so as you say we just have to nail it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes the young fella looked absolutely miserable this week

WfA97Xj.gif
Lancey Boy seems to be looking forward to year 2 at RSEA Park ❤️🤍🖤

FrcIv4T.jpeg

No one has ever said he’s a bad player. He was a misstep in the rebuild because when we should have been drafting we were topping up to avoid bottoming out.
Obviously too grand a concept for you.
Don't know why others can't have a different opinion without you getting all pissy just because it doesn't fit with yours.

Maybe practice what you constantly preach to others.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Disappointing year for Butler. It was injury interrupted, but he looks like a shell of the player he was last year, and it feels like he plays for a free kick most of the time when he gets the ball inside 50. He probably gets re-signed for at least 1 more year, but if I was choosing a round 1 team now, he is the obvious pick as to who makes room for Henry.

For me the most frustrating thing is he tries to take people on when he is arguably the weakest player in the side in terms of ability to break a tackle. So many times he will get the ball and try to run past his direct opponent instead of give the first option and he gets done every single time. Needs to play within his limitations and realise that he's not quick enough or strong enough to get past people.

For me the most frustrating thing is he tries to take people on when he is arguably the weakest player in the side in terms of ability to break a tackle. So many times he will get the ball and try to run past his direct opponent instead of give the first option and he gets done every single time. Needs to play within his limitations and realise that he's not quick enough or strong enough to get past people.
Yep agree
He’s an instinct player - every time he has time to think ….bad things happen…
Facts are he doesn’t kick enough goals you can’t live on tackles alone ..

It seemed to me that Hunter Clark played well. One boo boo I can remember. But he was in everything at one point when the heat really got going. Was scrabbling through the packs trying to get it to our advantage. Impressive.

He seemed a busted high pick. But all is not lost. I think the last few games have really meant a lot to him. He’s had a run at it (finally) and it seems like he has grasped the opportunity.

I think we’ll see him keep getting better as long as he gets some luck and stays on the park.

Was a massive factor in our improved performances and our midfield mix got way better with him in the side. He can slide under the radar but every game he does 2 or 3 freakish things that remind you of why he was so highly rated

When we open our mouths we speak of a path to glory, and we use plausible logic.

In my heart , I am content if we try to win as many games as we can each season, and with a bit of luck and a good deal of bad luck in the oppo camps, we might steal one eventually.

In other words, the boom/bust roller coaster of ‘re-building’, isn’t where I have faith in my heart, but I can understand why it is a good thing to speak of (and club presidents are not mugs, even when they make their predictions of ‘top 4 by 2026’ etc.)

Perhaps it is my age group, and the arc of Sf Kilda across that timeline. Too young for Allan Jeans, too accepting by Alves, stunned by Thomas and hopes dashed by RTB Mk1? Followed by a dull acceptance of the WRR years.

I hope we can pinch a few more wins next year.

Yep agree
He’s an instinct player - every time he has time to think ….bad things happen…
Facts are he doesn’t kick enough goals you can’t live on tackles alone ..
Agree-I would resirict him to the fwd 50 or not past the centre -everytime he makes the wrong decision or is far too slow to make a decision and tries to do way to much-he is a see goal get goal player -he was hopeless in the last match -once he got the ball on the 50 simple handball out to a free player goal-no instead tried to break through-caught holding the ball!-Not sure he has many games He with us to come

Force is equal to mass x acceleration, and Butler has plenty of the latter. He may just need to work on his timing or angles.

It can’t be as bad as Hill putting out the fend then getting folded every time. It makes me cry/laugh.

giphy.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 24, 2024 - Saints defeat Boos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back