Autopsy Round 24: Hawks cull the Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes he was but claimed it’s on the back of having 5 years of development into Newcombe, Day and Nash which was on the scrap him under his guidance. He should’ve just stated the Hawks are flying and stopping at that.
I had a chat with Jeff today who took all the credit and said we are a year ahead of plan.

I love Shiels. I was one who felt we erred not making him captain when we appointed Stratton. I have a huge amount of respect for him, absolute warrior, tough as nails, and did a variety of roles for us that were huge for the team but not necessarily recognised externally.
Really testing the memory banks now, but I thought Liam asked not to be considered...thought he was not worthy and needed to maintain focus on keeping his spot in the side.

Don't wanna talk about North too much, but mid game I mentioned how Xerri has good individual games but not good team games. Reckon it happened again. In no world should he be chasing clearances to the point of getting 13, that's what you've got midfielders for. Simpkin, LDU and Wardlaw are genuinely good players - get the ball to em.

He did get 6 Frees.
A free kick in a ruck contest = a clearance.

Some of Frenchie's handballs in heavy traffic to people in space reminds me of another bloke who used to handball out of congestion and won a brownlow, and wore number 5 and played for Hawthorn and now coaches them.

6 of them were from free kicks to be fair
He did get 6 Frees.
A free kick in a ruck contest = a clearance.
I don't believe they were all ruck frees, and even if they were he would have still been North's highest clearance winner by 2. It's not exactly unusual either, he's North's most prolific clearance winner, easily their most prolific tackler AND leads their team for hard ball gets. If your ruck spends more time on the ground than on his feet it's no small wonder teams move the ball so easily against you.

Finals baby!
Not much to say, amazing game, amazing win, finals here we come! Our first final will definitely be in Melbourne which is great. 26 goals is absolutely insane, 10 in that last qtr, and all of them spread between everyone. We are amazing in the rain! Kept the pressure and work rate up even when the win was locked in. Tell anyone when we 0-5 we were playing finals now and they wouldn’t have believed you.
So proud of the boys for making it this far, let’s keep going and win the next four!
At least a 12-day break now, we can sit back, watch the rest of the games, reflect on a great season, and look forward at what is to come.
Gonna finish 5-7, very nice feeling.
Let’s go Hawks! I love this club!
🤎💛🤎💛🏆
No, there's big stress on where am I flying to in 2 weeks? Where will I stay !

Watched Clarko's press conference and he was very complimentary of our development and equally impressed by the way we go about it. Mentioned us and the Dogs as the two best teams in it.
He was claiming our development as his own work saying they have been on the list for ages when that is absolute crap. Half the side have arrived since he left. He tried to destroy Nash, Mitch found Duke, he didn’t teach Frost or Scrim anything, and had a horrible boring game style. Give it a spell Clarko.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it is so pleasing to follow this teams rise. It is amazing for a group “with no talent” to continually spank teams by 10+ goals.

As Sam has always said, the club aims to win finals not just make them. And boy are we going to give it a shake. This team fears no one and the belief is so strong that opposition are going to hate playing us for the next decade.

Jai Newcombe. I love him.

HOKBALL is real. 😍

He was claiming our development as his own work saying they have been on the list for ages when that is absolute crap. Half the side have arrived since he left. He tried to destroy Nash, Mitch found Duke, he didn’t teach Frost or Scrim anything, and had a horrible boring game style. Give it a spell Clarko.
Clarko sounds like a politician with that kind of bulldust spin.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

Was thinking exactly the same when watching his presser. The blokes ego is out of control. You can guarantee we would still be languishing down the bottom if Clarko was still our coach.

Was thinking exactly the same when watching his presser. The blokes ego is out of control. You can guarantee we would still be languishing down the bottom if Clarko was still our coach.
Interesting, I've just watched the press conference. My take on it was that Clarko was just trying to point out that some of our core players have got 50-100 games now under their belt, pointing it out partly because it is a real factor and partly for the sake of his current team who had just been slaughtered. This is how it works, look, there's hope.

I don't think he actually came across as an egomaniac in this interview. Not for me anyway. I thought he was quite even handed and complimentary. I don't reckon he was in any way taking all the credit. That would be daft and that's spin if anything is. But it's not a big deal, I just saw it differently.

Last edited:
What a win. I wasn't cognisant of the 170 pt scoreline in the WET until someone on here pointed it out. Massive.
Definitely a statement win. I'm not a big fan of fwds mucking around I50, but for Chol, our leading goalkicker to give one away to Gunners like that was a really good reflection of their mindset.
Was under an illness cloud for the week, but Meek was up for the fight all day.
Scrim - didn't need a glove, just a finger sleeve(?) and handled the ball well.
Sic holding out oppo KPP w/ one arm and marking with the other. All good signs.
Mackenzie complemented our other mids well and it was good to get another good look at Finn.

Really looking fwd to watching what the boys do in finals. Our lads have stood tall in our big games all season, so they shouldn't lose any battles between the ears and give us more reasons to be proud of 'em.

Come on people, relax with the clarko dig. I watched the presser and he was only pointing out the 50-80 gamers who've improved together to become such a formidable team. And yes, half the players do pre-date Sam's stint but that's not the reason he bought that up. Not for me anyway.

Was at the game today, and I'm still buzzing.

Checked my phone after the game, and found this doozy...View attachment 2090154

Look how much the fans love it down there. Been blessed to be a Tassie hawks fan this year, 4 wins, 5 points, 6 points, 13 points in a comeback win v Freo and an absolute goal fest by 124 to end the year going into finals.

Come on people, relax with the clarko dig. I watched the presser and he was only pointing out the 50-80 gamers who've improved together to become such a formidable team. And yes, half the players do pre-date Sam's stint but that's not the reason he bought that up. Not for me anyway.
If there was anything to pick out from his press conference it was the "It's actually more difficult now than it has ever been with the compromised draft, father-son (rules) and (talent) academies."

North have had 6 years of top draft picks. They just got gifted 3x additional first round draft picks. We now have more open trading, Mid season draft, pre-season supplimental lists, delisted free agents, Free Agency.

Yet we've shot past them and they haven't improved a bit.

While there is a slight bit of sympathy that while they have been down the bottom, JUH, Darcy, Walter, Daicos have been the top end talent unavailable to them, they still got the next best players and 3x extra picks.

North fumbling the gift they got last year (and GC too) would be a disgrace to the game. At least Brisbane took advantage of their handouts.

But North getting free picks makes it harder than ever for us, but easier than ever for them.

If there was anything to pick out from his press conference it was the "It's actually more difficult now than it has ever been with the compromised draft, father-son (rules) and (talent) academies."

North have had 6 years of top draft picks. They just got gifted 3x additional first round draft picks. We now have more open trading, Mid season draft, pre-season supplimental lists, delisted free agents, Free Agency.

While there is a slight bit of sympathy that while they have been down the bottom, JUH, Darcy, Walter, Daicos have been the top end talent unavailable to them, they still got the next best players and 3x extra picks.

North fumbling the gift they got last year (and GC too) would be a disgrace to the game. At least Brisbane took advantage of their handouts.

But North getting free picks makes it harder than ever for us, but easier than ever for them.
Yes, good points and to further add to that, that culture building all out win last game last year costed them Harley, that's after not been able to satisfy a young high end talent like JUH! No more handouts, they should roll up the sleeves and get to work instead of ****ing crying for " assistance" all the time.

Shows that scouting and development are way more important than draft order

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 24: Hawks cull the Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back