Preview Round 3, 2017: Gold Coast Suns v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hope Brand in gives Gibbo the freedom to play to his strengths again. I'd hate to see Gibbo finish his already underrated career with a frustrating year that spoils (ha) his champion status.
The way they appear to be adjudicating deliberate this year may be impacting Gibbo.
His strength was going up and sending the ball 20 rows back. Now, there's a risk it'll be paid against, and he almost seems concerned about it

Despite not playing much footy together Mitchell and O'Meara are ranked 6th and 7th in the competition for contested possessions respectively.

We are matching the opposition teams in contested possessions and clearances but our midfield's ball use has been poor to this point.

Will Langford is slowly working his way into some good form. I just wish he would practice his kicking more and back himself in during games to hit a target by foot. If he can improve his disposal efficiency he will become a handy all-round midfielder. He does all the hard stuff well but lacks the finishing ability to make the opposition teams pay on the scoreboard.

I think Mitchell, O'Meara and Langford have kicked 9 behinds between them so far.

Despite not playing much footy together Mitchell and O'Meara are ranked 6th and 7th in the competition for contested possessions respectively.

We are matching the opposition teams in contested possessions and clearances but our midfield's ball use has been poor to this point.

Will Langford is slowly working his way into some good form. I just wish he would practice his kicking more and back himself in during games to hit a target by foot. If he can improve his disposal efficiency he will become a handy all-round midfielder. He does all the hard stuff well but lacks the finishing ability to make the opposition teams pay on the scoreboard.

I think Mitchell, O'Meara and Langford have kicked 9 behinds between them so far.

Positive is Jaeger is healthy and finding the footy, the current negative is he's no 1 in the competition for clangers.

Have T Mitchell run with Ablett like he did last year? Or is Mitch winning the ball more important for you guys at this stage?

Shiels can tag if required. We need Mitchell and JOM getting as much ball as they have been, but improving their effectiveness with it.

Turnovers used to be how we destroyed teams but at the moment its what destroys us.

The way they appear to be adjudicating deliberate this year may be impacting Gibbo.
His strength was going up and sending the ball 20 rows back. Now, there's a risk it'll be paid against, and he almost seems concerned about it

The rule doesn't apply to spoils...

true but Hawthorn debutantes through the first two rounds includes 5 names and that is excluding Rough who had the year out and includes Jaeger who had two years out

When you look at i that way and say 7 last year to 5 in two rounds it can be seen as a reason for our start. Chemistry issues were clear as day last week, new players from other clubs shouldn't be as bad as rookies but they still don't know their team mates

btw TH if I'm wrong you should vote for Abasi in POTY

Thanks for answering, Gralin,
Call it chemistry, cohesion or even consistency, it will take time forall players to gel. I read an article about when we introduced all of the high draft talent of the 2004 draft to the likes of Hodge, Mitch and co. but we were still getting beaten, sometimes by 100+ points. We had to wait for the success. and that wait was well worth it.

Times change, and circumstances are different, ( we haven't had the luxury of first round draft picks. but we have traded in some amazing talent. Now we need time to get some of our quality youngsters into the mix, and watch our team development.

Vote for Abasi?:(o_O

Absolute rubbish. Gibson is a player without any role - cannot play tall or small. The only role he seems to want to play is as unaccountable in the backline and he has neither the speed (he is actually crab-like) or the kicking ability.

The idea that it was acceptable for him to play as the third tall coming over the top for years was ridiculous as well. You defend with a punch only if you have no other option, applying that more conservatively if you are in the backline. Chris Mew and Chris Langford never seemed to struggle getting the balance right.

I cannot think of any Hawthorn player of recent years that has been given such an extended run of being poor. The bloke was finished half-way through last season and has been stinking it up ever since.

As I said at the time when Gus was delisted this is the bloke that should have been retired.
Easily the worst post in Bigfooty history.

Two crimmins medals in premiership years and three premiership medals says you know nothing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm absolutely wrapped with our contested game, we are set there for the next 10 years. Both Titch and JOM are 2 of the best insider winning mids in the comp, what we do lack is some cream around them who can use the footy as well as go inside and out. There's no point have pure outside players for them to give the footy to because generally they are best in open space, look at Hartung/Izzy use the footy under pressure compared to in space. I think a guy like Ryan Burton and Daniel Howe could give us that blend, both guys can win their own footy but both seem to make great decisions and can float on the fringes, it's shame that we don't have Sammy this year as he'd have an absolute field day with the 2 beasts doing the grunt work.

Heres also hoping that KB shows some real form, shows that he can at least compete and kill a contest against either Lynch or Wright, I'd also like to see him use the footy well, we know his foot skills are more than adequate so seeing him execute would be a real positive.

OTE="HawkNation, post: 49552082, member: 92102"]Pretty handy list the top 10 in clangers. Lead by O'Meara and Dangerfield.[/QUOTE]

And I think Fyfe was in the Top few when he won the Brownlow.

Good ins, the team looks structurally much better with Brand and Whitecross. Hopefully Brand can continue to build on a promising season last year and Whitecross can get back to his late season form, which was nearly career best.

Hopefully we see a much better performance this week. I'm looking for 3 things:

1) Being able to kill the high ball in defence.
2) Much better skill level across the whole ground
3) A functional forward line that has a target that is over 6"0 in height.

Gee I thought Stewart was stiff to miss, but I just had a look through the team sheet and it's nearly impossible to see who misses for him to stay in the side. Hendo? Gibson? Miles? Langford?

Hendo hasn't been that bad and we need the runners, Gibson could find better form being the 3rd tall with Brand in the team, Miles looks great and would be just as stiff to miss as Stewart, and Langers looks to be finding a touch of his '14 form again.

Also, Stewart plays a totally different role to all those guys, so after all that... I'm very happy with the team this week.

Irresistible force meets immovable object.

Hawthorn have never lost a game against Gold Coast.
Hawthorn have never won a game with Ty Vickery playing for them.

Which force is stronger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back