Autopsy Round 3, 2021: Essendon v St.Kilda *STEELE 100TH* *CLARK 50TH* *CROUCH DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

And we played worse coz Carlisle was in, poor attitude breeds like flies apparently, nobody likes the dunz!

I thought Carlisle was one of our better players, he was certainly better than McKernan in the ruck but unfortunately the game was just about gone by the time that move was made.

With McKernan in the ruck it was either a free kick or an easy clearance to Essendon, he may as well have still been playing for them.

Hopefully we get Marshall back next week to replace McKernan and we can push Carlisle back into defence where he will be badly needed against the West Coast talls.

People ragging Ratten need to realize if the team doesn't bring effort it doesn't matter who is coach.

And conversely, if they put in the effort but the gameplan sends them to the wrong spots, it doesn’t matter who the players are.

At this point I don’t think anyone knows whether it’s players or coaching that are the main issue. Most likely it’s both.

And Fischer MCasey will be on our list next year, not Carlisle

I just can't get this loss out of my head holy sh!t we are a rabble.

I want a media crucifixion this week and every lazy effort we gave broadcast for the world to see

No more crackin jokes and having a laugh at training. Tackling and running drills until we play better than the Auskick half time show

The players shouldn't need a media crucifixion to motivate them but it wouldn't hurt if they copped a blowtorch from the media as they deserve it.

A lot of heat will go on North for their thrashing against the Dogs but our performance was arguably worse considering the state of our list compared to North's list and the standard of the opposition we were playing. North were expected to lose to the Dogs, we were expected to beat the Bombers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Come on you are having a lend. When the baby was made the finals finished in September. He knew that. I suppose he should have known about covid.
When Ratts took over Carlisle said that he only wanted to play loose in the backline and that he was a trained epidemiologist and futurist. Once covid hit and it turned out that the baby was due in October Ratts knew he'd been lied to. And that's the history behind his baffling relationship troubles with the coach.

They probably couldn't be f’ed unless Ratts chewed the eggs and spewed them in their mouths like baby birds. ******* lazy spoiled soft *****.
Lmao, thanks for the mental image

What a horrible day yesterday, worst I’ve felt since 10 Grand Final replay. Felt sick in the guts: the type of sick that no amount of gaviscon could touch.

Last night I watched our win against Sydney from last year. I feel like this was the last time a team really let us play the way we wanted to offensively and where we defended well (the week after against the Gold Coast we were still able to score with goals over the back but our defense already looked shaky I reckon).

It’s a bit of a sliding doors type of game for us and Sydney. It doesn’t help that you see Nick Hind absolutely dominant starting high up the ground and running at pace from the wing into our forward line.

It’s more a sliding door moment from a style point of view: neither team has really looked the same since.

From that moment our defense and offense have been examined and worked out and we haven’t been able to adapt. And for Sydney, they pretty much abandoned the stodgy slow ball movement of the previous Roos and Longmire regimes and just started throwing caution to the wind, playing the kids and moving the ball quickly and precisely forward with freedom.

I’m still convinced we have the cattle. What we really need is for the so-called tactical brains at the club we have hired like Rath, O’Shaughnessy etc. to work around the clock for the next few weeks and come up with a way we can play and train that allows us to win footy games with the new rules. The only change I’ve seen is make is our blokes standing off the mark: newsflash guys; it ain’t working as you thought it would!

And to quote from Terry Wallace in the “Year of the Dog” documentary, if I hear one more of you talking about tackling and effort I’ll spew up!

Seriously, if you think it’s just us, watch Port play the Eagles again. You have to understand, it’s impossible to be fast enough to tackle and pressure players that kick the ball precisely at speed with these new rules like the Eagles and others are doing this year (I warned the Bombers are capable of doing this in the preview thread as well).

The answer to playing against teams like the Eagles is organization, structure and smart decision-making on when to go/ when to stay on your man. It’s not more tackling and chasing: in fact too
much tackling and chasing will usually make things worse, opening up holes and leaving you more vulnerable to their movement.

To counter them, you have to employ that old chestnut of working smarter not harder.

Over to you Rath, we’ve heard a lot about you, time to earn your money.

Did you see his face on the St.kilda fc video, when Highmore got his debut ahead of him, sour grapes. And 'rooting' in Jan or Feb. without contraception, is the dumbest incident that's happened, ever. The guy has poor attitude & Ratten saw through it.

So Jake was meant to know about the finals being played late in 2020 at the time of conception ?

Answer = no.

Jake on hearing Highmore was being given his first game probably knew that he would miss out., and moreso as was clearly out of favour in the practice games. In his place I would probably have looked disappointed too.

Some decent melts tonight just quietly. I’m doing my best to contribute.

Warney loves your workrate.

Speaking of 'workrate'; what an utterly imbecilic term that is.

Our guys most probably ran further and harder than essendon did all day.
You need to when your opponent has the football all day and you don't.

Nothing to do with 'workrate' and everything to do with 'football talent'.

Our midfield group have a combination of:

1. below average skills
2. far below average ability to put themselves where the ball is GOING to be. (Unless ryder tells them where he's gonna put it)

Add in:
3. an across the board lack of composure (ie easily panicked);

...and no wonder we get trash like we saw yesterday.

Particularly on point 3; Hunter clark and steele are the only mids we have that are unphased by physical contact.

Everybody else shats themselves to varying degrees upon contact; and often the mere fact that physical contact is APPROACHING is enough to have almost our entire list bang the ball on their boot or hand.

I genuinely believe that a large part of our problems lie in our midfields dislike for physical contact.
Now I'm not calling them cowards- they take the hits and keep coming back for more... but they practically all will take a 'first option' quick kick or handball rather than try their luck in either breaking a tackle or at least absorb some heat long enough for a better option to present.

Going forward; I'd rather see us get pinged for holding the ball 25 times a game trying to break a tackle or a line or find a teammate properly than keep going like we are.

Remember how memorable it was seeing dmac in the first quarter break a tackle and run through a line just outside 50?

It was memorable because it never happens.

Same applies with absorbing pressure when you have the ball.
The cats did it brilliantly against us last year.
They get posession; then hold it long enough to draw in 2-3 opposition players; then release it to teammates who are now in the clear as idiots like us now have 3 blokes tackling the one bloke who USED to have the ball.

Our lack of composure in our midfielders is where the rot sets in; it makes our disposal worse, which screws our forwards and means our backline has footballs raining on their heads all day.

Maybe the rotationing of the midfield is not working as hoped. And Jones to me is not fit enough yet. So play him off a H.B.F for Sandy where he can use his pace & aggression. My reasoning for having Jones & Kent back there is to add dash & physicality to our backline on the smaller opposition who are cutting us up. And Howard as good as he is, needs to stop the short kicking & slipping over, that may help too.
Fixed it for you

When Ratts took over Carlisle said that he only wanted to play loose in the backline and that he was a trained epidemiologist and futurist. Once covid hit and it turned out that the baby was due in October Ratts knew he'd been lied to. And that's the history behind his baffling relationship troubles with the coach.
I'm in tears

At least we can take the piss despite the results, lol

Anyone disappointed in the coaching panel. I’m not one to jump on them but at the ground yesterday the structure was all over place and players in some weird positions

Exactly.
And what was Hill doing taking a kick in?
I know nothing about coaching but surely it’s a no brainer to play players in their best positions.
Hill - wing
Battle - KPP - forward or back NOT wing
Clarke - midfield
Coffield - NOT FB
Jones - hbf
Crouch - midfield - you know where we recruited him to play
etc, etc

and FFS keep Carlisle in the damn team!!

Not excusing lacklustre efforts by the players at all but the coaches are trying to be too smart by half.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 3, 2021: Essendon v St.Kilda *STEELE 100TH* *CLARK 50TH* *CROUCH DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back