Game Day Round 3, 2021: Hawks v Cats, Easter Monday 3:20pm @MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will we see Reeves before the end of the year I wonder, just for a taste?

Extremely green, but is a ruck that seems to have a bit of forward craft from what I have seen.
Certainly early days for him and a fair while before I’d expect him to be pushing into the 22, but hopefully we give him a look this year to see what it’s all about If he keeps ticking boxes at Box Hill.
Haw vs GC Rd 11. Are they tanking yet 😂

Yeah I just wonder if we wouldn’t be better off with the extra forward taking that role. Let the ruckman play behind play a bit more to save energy too.

I would agree. Gunners out hurts, though, as he is a forward running machine. Almost certainly Gunners bumps Ceglar and then Mitch/Kosi/TOB takes the extra ruck. And while Mitch/Kosi/TOB are found up the ground providing that linking mark from time to time they have nowhere near the tank or established dangerousness of Gunners. I suspect we're two rucks until Gunston comes back, TOB starts sticking some marks or Mitch/Kosi gets a big tank. So two rucks until Gunston's return.

It's not like the coaches are blind to what is a plain as day situation to everyone here. The coaches have the additional advantage/burden of knowing the weekly training and practice play outcomes so understand what sort of game day switches they can make. I just don't think they have a better option than two rucks. If someone were making the case in practice then it would be happening on the weekend.

I would agree. Gunners out hurts, though, as he is a forward running machine. Almost certainly Gunners bumps Ceglar and then Mitch/Kosi/TOB takes the extra ruck. And while Mitch/Kosi/TOB are found up the ground providing that linking mark from time to time they have nowhere near the tank or established dangerousness of Gunners. I suspect we're two rucks until Gunston comes back, TOB starts sticking some marks or Mitch/Kosi gets a big tank. So two rucks until Gunston's return.

It's not like the coaches are blind to what is a plain as day situation to everyone here. The coaches have the additional advantage/burden of knowing the weekly training and practice play outcomes so understand what sort of game day switches they can make. I just don't think they have a better option than two rucks. If someone were making the case in practice then it would be happening on the weekend.
Many of those ITK have said that BB doesn’t have the ability to play full ruck anymore. His body doesn’t have it in him. Basically he’s at max 50-60%. So pinch hitting with a forward who plays 40-50% isn’t going to work.

I don’t think there’s an obvious solution there, we need another ruck.

one-at-eleven.jpg

I was only yesterday thinking about that picture, for reasons I no longer remember.

====================

I too continue to worry about playing two rucks. It's definitely a swings and roundabouts thing.

I wonder if we've put ourselves in a bit of a bind? BB is skipper, so Cegs is simply not going to push him out of the side. The non rucking ruck needs to be able to at least break even wherever they are put - in the same way a non ruck needs to break even if contesting the ruck.

Grundy was playing against non rucks Thursday night. He dominated rucking - finishing the game with the highest afl.com ranking points. Collingwood still lost. With each passing year, I find myself more and more aligned with the Lethal/Chief view of general ruckmanshipery style ruckmen.

Oh well, let's hope it works today.

I want to see lots of angles used for F50 entries and economy on the long bombing

Go Hawks!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really hard to get any study done before this one- Cat's fans that are mates stirring the pot all morning!

Even with the 2 ruck set up this part is already happening Bris.
Plan A was to have the ruck forward. Last we we sent the ruckman back when we got under pressure and then back forward when we evened up the game. With three forwards and one ruck we could play the ruckman behind almost all game and still have the targets up forward. 👍

We have basically broken even at stoppages around the ground and in the centre across the two games. It isn’t like we are getting some discernible advantage in the middle. And neither big boy or ceglar have come a lot up forward. And they are soaking up a place on the bench we could be using to rest runners. I’m not seeing a lot of upside to having two rucks. 🤷‍♂️

Agree. There is no real upside, especially the way we are playing them.

Having said that at least it's not Big Boy to CHB. A small mercy.

Another solid test for us . What I want to see.
- Competitive 4 quarters
-Good start
- Taking game on and moving the ball quickly
- Pressure , pressure and pressure

Dont want to see
- Us letting them jump us
- Slow stagnent play

If we start well and are in the game at 1/2 time we are a chance .
They can't afford another loss to another side that wont make finals .

Slow stagnant play like that absolute dross we dished up last season will equal a rich flogging for us today.

We have to take them on.

Stoked for this one. Been lucky to have a schedule that let's me see the BIG 3 games for the year (outside of Finals), vs the Bummers, the Reigning Premier, and now the Flogs!
Go hard boys!!

Based on their selection they are going to play small and use their pace.

They have a few less talls then we do, and won't be carrying an extra lumbering ruckman.

The game is much faster now and there are less stoppages, but Clarko is still sticking with the dual ruck combo. Hopefully we can exploit that size difference somehow and not get burned at ground level.

Interestingly essentially every team is running with a solo ruck these days, with some teams using a tall forward to chop them out, e.g.:
- Nic Nat and Allen
- Gawn and Jackson
- Pitto and Casboult
- Goldy and Larkey
- Lycett and Ladhams
- Nank (solo)
- Hickey (solo)
- Witts (solo)
- O'Brien (solo)
- Grundy (solo)
- Stanley (solo), though Hawkins is great at ruck contests in the forward 50.

The only teams that run with two rucks were the Doggies with English and Martin, though English played a fair part of his time up forward. The other team was Freo with Meek and Darcy, though again it looked like Darcy played the majority of the game forward.
Dees run with Gawn and Jackson and they are 3-0. Gawn goes forward and has a real impact which is what our rucks need to be doing in order for this tactic to be effective. Also disagree about us being taller. The Cats backline have no one under 185cm. There taller than us mate even with playing 1 ruck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back