Autopsy Round 3, 2024 :Hawks fail against Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

reckon today went almost exactly to script. Game over at quarter time, spirited fightback in the second, arm wrestle in the second half, just like our fabulous three-peat side did to second-rate opposition.
first, the massive negative, Nick Watson looks like he's done an anterior inferior tibiofibular ligament, that's 10-12 weeks on the sidelines if so.
the positives:
Mabior Chol, a huge upgrade on Kosi, on target to kick 35-40 goals this year, which would be an immense return for basically a KPF/chop-out ruckman
Nick Watson, wow, gonna be a player.
Lloyd Meek, gives us plenty around the ground, and loses nothing in the middle.
Frostie, know-nothings on this site bag him, but he'd be close to first picked each week. Another super effort
Sicily, horrible first quarter, but seems to have really turned the corner after that.
Amon, does the little things that great players do. Huge pick up for us.
Weddle, second year, what a player he's going to be
MacKenzie, better than I thought, lovely game today, although tired a little late. Another Sam Mitchell in the making.
Worpel, just elite at the coal face, disposal not great, but gives 150% and just inspirational.

the not-so-goods
Ward, lots of the ball, out the side and over the back, but lacks any real discerning "great" qualities
McDonald, quiet game, well held by the Irishman. He will bounce back
Lewis, hammie or not, he's been horrible this year, practice games included
Impey, carved up by Stengle, then moved elsewhere, but a shadow of his former self.
Scrimshaw, just doesn't do enough for a player with his obvious talents.
Breust, champion of our club, but he's at the end
Moore, quiet start to this season, but a man of great character, he'll come good very soon.

He totally ****ed two goals in the first qtr while scores were still close

The first, he had a teammate in the goal square on his own but he chose to snap from 35m on his left and it was touched

Within minutes, he then totally deflated the team with that effort that can only be described as hopeless

Calling a spade a spade.

Mentioned before the game that he should hav been the sub because ha has been a liability in all games this year and may offer something coming on after the pace has gone out of the game.

Wiz or no Wiz, he needs to be sub next week if he is going to be retained.
If the team 'deflates' because of a messed up attempt or two in the first quarter, maybe that is their problem and not his.

Dont underestimate role players.

Michael Osbourne, Bren Guerra, Brad Sewell were great honest role players who played multiple premierships

If Josh Ward can be a solid contributor in midfield rotations and add a few strings to his bow then Ive no doubt he'll play in our next flag (needs to be better than today but

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Good role players are critical to a team's success.

However, Osbourne and Sewell (a great player in his prime) were rookie draft picks whilst Guerra was picked up as a recently delisted mediocre small forward.

In contrast, Ward is a blue chip top 10 pick. We really need players selected within this range to develop into top tier talent as opposed to solid role players. Great teams of recent times have been built with key players selected within the 1st round of the draft.

Yes I’m assuming that’s the one. At the game I had absolutely no idea what had happened the ball came off the cats player and went out of bounds then they were having a shot?
It came off sicily, just but wasn't kicked, sicily was running at the ball when a cats player got to it from another direction, Sicily took another step the ball hit his foot, and bounced out of bounds. Looked like it came off the Geelong player, because he was the one with the kicking action. It could not be classed as either deliberate or insufficient intent, because he didn't actually attempt to dispose of the ball.

Weddle played well on Cameron today. But i can't help to think our midfield would beneift with Amon and Weddle on the outside. Education is one thing but winning games off footy is another.

We need to find some genuine marking options around the ground / fwd off the ball. Loving Chol work up the ground! Who is next in line as another viable target.

HH we need to persist with him and judge over 3 weeks. A few fumbles stepping up to afl level but he showed 2nd efforts and 6 tackles.

Ramsden and Butler next in line.
I have said it a few times, but we are wasting Weddle and Amon down back, they are both game winners and should be playing in dangerous positions. We need some X factor on the outside and Weddle offers that more than anyone. Amon on the other wing or on ball delivering inside 50 or bombing long goals.

Should have been closer!

Similar to outcome of Bombers game - but I'd argue the outlier Cats forwards makes more sense, as they have a very experienced forward line, so you'd expect them to be on or above xG.

I give us at least another month at least before our new forward line fits together - more if Lewis is out for an extended period of time (hopefully just a corkie).

I understand people are excited about Ramma playing, but would rather Lewis by a country mile. He may be down on form, but he's our most important forward still. What we can't afford is for him to have another season beset by injuries.

If the team 'deflates' because of a messed up attempt or two in the first quarter, maybe that is their problem and not his.
Rubbish

They are busting their arse, looking to a senior leader to finish there hard work and he does that. Not once but twice within. A few minutes

And then he meandered around

Let’s not get all too protective of our champions who may have gone on too long

Also Worps is not just replicating his best form of latter years, but he's arguably now going beyond it. He has been nothing short of immense these last three weeks. Hard in the middle, very good decision making and a calm head when everything going badly.

Shudder to think what these last weeks would have been like without him.

Also Worps is not just replicating his best form of latter years, but he's arguably now going beyond it. He has been nothing short of immense these last three weeks. Hard in the middle, very good decision making and a calm head when everything going badly.

Number 2 rated player in the AFL at the moment based on AFL player ratings.

1711969662855.png

Rubbish

They are busting their arse, looking to a senior leader to finish there hard work and he does that. Not once but twice within. A few minutes

And then he meandered around

Let’s not get all too protective of our champions who may have gone on too long
100%
Not once did he up his game to atone.
He's either cruising, or he's just not fit.
His last 3 games have been an enormous disappointment, from an absolute legend of this club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His decision making and disposal into forward fifty has improved a lot

A lot more positives than the last two weeks but the same negatives haven’t been ironed out yet.

Our forwards don’t lead at the ball carrier or give them an option so we just bomb it in, Lewis is horribly out of form and besides one great contested mark he’s hands are off, he needs stop trying to mark it with one hand.

Our centre bounce and stoppage work needs to be sorted out, the opposition cruise out of the middle when they win it.
We tend to setup with two midfielders on the attacking side of the centre circle and if we do win the ball we have our backs to goal and can’t move it forward easily, i would like to see us setup with two mids on the defensive side this way we can stop the opposition exiting so easily but also allows our mids to run onto the ball facing our goals which should allow better entries into our forward 50.
This would leave one free on defensive side for both teams (unlikely that the other side will match up unless they need to stop a run on) this could be high risk..

Got a text form Tom Hawkins during 3QT asking me to put $1000 on Breust getting lol of the week for him.

In spite of the result I had a terrific time at the game today, thought the atmosphere was great especially after the lightning break when we were knocking on the door but couldn't get much reward.

Next week i'd really like to see Seamus take Amon's spot in the backline and for Karl to play further forward.
Couldn't agree more. The spirited effort was comforting after last weeks disaster-class. Arguably more positives from this game than any other so far.

reckon today went almost exactly to script. Game over at quarter time, spirited fightback in the second, arm wrestle in the second half, just like our fabulous three-peat side did to second-rate opposition.
first, the massive negative, Nick Watson looks like he's done an anterior inferior tibiofibular ligament, that's 10-12 weeks on the sidelines if so.
the positives:
Mabior Chol, a huge upgrade on Kosi, on target to kick 35-40 goals this year, which would be an immense return for basically a KPF/chop-out ruckman
Nick Watson, wow, gonna be a player.
Lloyd Meek, gives us plenty around the ground, and loses nothing in the middle.
Frostie, know-nothings on this site bag him, but he'd be close to first picked each week. Another super effort
Sicily, horrible first quarter, but seems to have really turned the corner after that.
Amon, does the little things that great players do. Huge pick up for us.
Weddle, second year, what a player he's going to be
MacKenzie, better than I thought, lovely game today, although tired a little late. Another Sam Mitchell in the making.
Worpel, just elite at the coal face, disposal not great, but gives 150% and just inspirational.

the not-so-goods
Ward, lots of the ball, out the side and over the back, but lacks any real discerning "great" qualities
McDonald, quiet game, well held by the Irishman. He will bounce back
Lewis, hammie or not, he's been horrible this year, practice games included
Impey, carved up by Stengle, then moved elsewhere, but a shadow of his former self.
Scrimshaw, just doesn't do enough for a player with his obvious talents.
Breust, champion of our club, but he's at the end
Moore, quiet start to this season, but a man of great character, he'll come good very soon.

Weddle is taking class. As he should be, he needs it. It will make him a gun if he gets the footy iq up.
Club doing the right thing.

Interesting to hear his views on his own strengths and weaknesses.

Sees himself best in the ruck contest and working on his contested marking. Still think he gets around the ground a bit more than Reevesy has this season.

Good little internal competition breaking out - will be interesting to see if one of our two big men make a leap up & truly make the spot their own. God I'd kill to unearth a Briggs clone.

Number 2 rated player in the AFL at the moment based on AFL player ratings.

View attachment 1946670
If anything we have been understating how good he has been this year. He’s up with some pretty elite company in that list.

On track to even better his PCM year if he keeps this form up (and I feel like he will).

Disposal also looks noticeably better this year as well.

Few things I noticed that haven't been mentioned much so far.

Ginnivan's best defensive effort so far, career high 6 tackles and third for pressure acts. Collingwood will be regretting letting him go.
Newcombe showed glimpses of his best, few times he pulled away for clearances. He will get back to his best soon enough.
Worpel is in Brownlow medal form, 3 goal assist and team high score involvements. Using the ball better than has and 800 metetrs gain would have to be a career high.
Nash great return after 2 poor games, bought the defensive pressure and lead the team for pressure acts and tackles.
Watson is having an almost break out game, he's been better each week he's played. 4 scoring shot, 7 score involvements and 16 disposals is a great return for a small forward in his third game.
Amon, Impey and Breust are going to be pushed for their position with Mitchell and Butler playing well at boxhill.

I have said it a few times, but we are wasting Weddle and Amon down back, they are both game winners and should be playing in dangerous positions. We need some X factor on the outside and Weddle offers that more than anyone. Amon on the other wing or on ball delivering inside 50 or bombing long goals.
I agree 100% but I’d throw Sic into the mix too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 3, 2024 :Hawks fail against Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Back