Autopsy Round 3, 2024 :Hawks fail against Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

I really want to see Amon on a wing. We are a bit pedestrian at the moment in the wing department outside of Massimo.

Ward and Moore are both hard workers but lack the speed and penetration to cause headaches on the outside.

If anything we have been understating how good he has been this year. He’s up with some pretty elite company in that list.

On track to even better his PCM year if he keeps this form up (and I feel like he will).

Disposal also looks noticeably better this year as well.

It seems the longer he spends playing for Mitchell the better he will be. He’s starting to properly balance before using it, something Sam did so well.

Little things like the a quick 1-2 to get himself an extra metre and few seconds haven’t always come naturally, he’s definitely playing the best footy of his career.

It seems the longer he spends playing for Mitchell the better he will be. He’s starting to properly balance before using it, something Sam did so well.

Little things like the a quick 1-2 to get himself an extra metre and few seconds haven’t always come naturally, he’s definitely playing the best footy of his career.
Sam’s always been a big fan of Worps.

That’s always a plus when you know you have your coaches trust.

He’s 25 and entering his prime, will be great to watch him ascend to the top eschelons of AFL midfielders the next couple of years.

Few things I noticed that haven't been mentioned much so far.

Ginnivan's best defensive effort so far, career high 6 tackles and third for pressure acts. Collingwood will be regretting letting him go.
Newcombe showed glimpses of his best, few times he pulled away for clearances. He will get back to his best soon enough.
Worpel is in Brownlow medal form, 3 goal assist and team high score involvements. Using the ball better than has and 800 metetrs gain would have to be a career high.
Nash great return after 2 poor games, bought the defensive pressure and lead the team for pressure acts and tackles.
Watson is having an almost break out game, he's been better each week he's played. 4 scoring shot, 7 score involvements and 16 disposals is a great return for a small forward in his third game.
Amon, Impey and Breust are going to be pushed for their position with Mitchell and Butler playing well at boxhill.
Impey and Bruest yes.

If you play a winger as a defender that’s not his effing fault.
That’s on the coaches. Not Karl.

Footy gods were against us today as the cats connected with every knock-on and sideways bounce and got an armchair ride from the sight deprived muppets in green - umpiring was so atrocious that it was borderline cheating

Best game for the club from Frosty - clean and composed (mostly) and played with passion and fire

The Wiz does remind me of Cyril in one respect - makes me smile every time he gets the ball and love his spirit

Worps was awesome - Nash and Newk both building and got better as they game went on

Can the experiment with Amon please be over - is a brilliant distributor, however, is diabolical in the last line of defence and needs to return to the wing as soon as Seamus is fit

Lot to like about the game despite the scoreboard

Cats are an ordinary side and won't be challenging for the silverware anytime soon

Last edited:
Also love it how Lewis is injured, coz we can really afford that. The Wizard really didn't look good either there at the end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Confused how to feel about these. Being on the receiving end of it from Selwood for years I know they can be momentum killing calls to blow the whistle every time and it honestly makes the game a worse product to watch.

The other side of me says why is the onus on the guy with the ball to avoid getting necked. Get your technique right and we have no issues. There is no hiding Ginni is very good at drawing these, he probably kicks 3 today if they are called high.

It gives the AFL a real dilemna. You cannot umpire one player differently to the rest of the comp

Geelong are def contenders this year and reckon their young ruckman Conway will be a good player. But it's prob the most open year I can remember, so there are 10 or so teams that can win it.

The third qtr run on the cats got was the center bounces with hus and frenchie in the middle similar to the first qtr. We had nash and newk out of the middle to then come back in later and play the entire last qtr.

On another side note. Wardy was going at high 60s percentage on the ground which changed when Lewis got injured.
That isnt my recollection. A quick look at the stats suggest it was bau in the middle. Checking kayo shows that their run of 4 goals had mckenzie and huss in the middle for the third goal but the one before that had nash, worpel and newc in the centre.

1711973302771.png

reckon today went almost exactly to script. Game over at quarter time, spirited fightback in the second, arm wrestle in the second half, just like our fabulous three-peat side did to second-rate opposition.
first, the massive negative, Nick Watson looks like he's done an anterior inferior tibiofibular ligament, that's 10-12 weeks on the sidelines if so.
the positives:
Mabior Chol, a huge upgrade on Kosi, on target to kick 35-40 goals this year, which would be an immense return for basically a KPF/chop-out ruckman
Nick Watson, wow, gonna be a player.
Lloyd Meek, gives us plenty around the ground, and loses nothing in the middle.
Frostie, know-nothings on this site bag him, but he'd be close to first picked each week. Another super effort
Sicily, horrible first quarter, but seems to have really turned the corner after that.
Amon, does the little things that great players do. Huge pick up for us.
Weddle, second year, what a player he's going to be
MacKenzie, better than I thought, lovely game today, although tired a little late. Another Sam Mitchell in the making.
Worpel, just elite at the coal face, disposal not great, but gives 150% and just inspirational.

the not-so-goods
Ward, lots of the ball, out the side and over the back, but lacks any real discerning "great" qualities
McDonald, quiet game, well held by the Irishman. He will bounce back
Lewis, hammie or not, he's been horrible this year, practice games included
Impey, carved up by Stengle, then moved elsewhere, but a shadow of his former self.
Scrimshaw, just doesn't do enough for a player with his obvious talents.
Breust, champion of our club, but he's at the end
Moore, quiet start to this season, but a man of great character, he'll come good very soon.
Richo was impressed with Weddle and saying he has elite midfielder written all over him

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 3, 2024 :Hawks fail against Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Back