Review Round 3: v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely gutted..
Not much I can say other than your boys showed us up in almost every facet of the game.
I hope the fella who went off sore is alright.
Congratulations, enjoy your win.

Thank you for your respectful and kind post.

With the risk of being booed by my own mob, I wish that you guys were in a better position. I want clubs like Carlton, Hawthorn, and Collingwood to be strong, it's good for the competition and it makes a win against them so much more special. Tonight, the game was over by quarter time, which wasn't unexpected by many Essendon supporters. God knows what would have happened if we lost tonight.

What is Carlton's game plan? It's easy to throw stones from the cheap seats (an internet forum after a wing), but what is going on? Talks of the coaches leaving the post match team meeting and leaving things up to the players to finish is a drastic approach. Something isn't right.

Tell that to Shane Mumford. Anyway, Jake doesn't have the positioning as a ruckman. Doesn't know where he needs to be at the stoppages. Most of his hitouts were because Warnock wasn't there
Jake was close to BOG...listen to the commentary, there is huge discussion on the over emphasis of hitouts compared to a mobile ruckman, who can play as a mid also, compare the stats and it makes total sense to play Jake in the ruck.....Plus Joe D...Look how many times Warnock watches after his hit outs, he tapped it into his own head once...LOL.. The second efforts and running ability of these 2 have me very excited...perfect modern combination...

With the risk of being booed by my own mob, I wish that you guys were in a better position. I want clubs like Carlton, Hawthorn, and Collingwood to be strong, it's good for the competition and it makes a win against them so much more special. Tonight, the game was over by quarter time, which wasn't unexpected by many Essendon supporters. God knows what would have happened if we lost tonight.

What is Carlton's game plan? It's easy to throw stones from the cheap seats (an internet forum after a wing), but what is going on? Talks of the coaches leaving the post match team meeting and leaving things up to the players to finish is a drastic approach. Something isn't right.
Booooo, it's more fun when we win the flag and Carlton. Collingwood finish down the bottom and we smack the hawks in the Granny again..

Jake was close to BOG...listen to the commentary, there is huge discussion on the over emphasis of hitouts compared to a mobile ruckman, who can play as a mid also, compare the stats and it makes total sense to play Jake in the ruck.....Plus Joe D...Look how many times Warnock watches after his hit outs, he tapped it into his own head once...LOL.. The second efforts and running ability of these 2 have me very excited...perfect modern combination...
I'm not saying that the around the ground stuff isn't important. He's a classic CHF. He's excellent around the ground but he's not a ruckman. It's about finding both, understand? A side with good mids, say, Fremantle, would have doubled our clearances tonight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope Hardingham's alright. Played really well early on and actually knows how to lead. Kicked some tight ones as well.

What happened to Myers after quarter time? Was close to best on, then was just taken out of it. Glad others stepped up to take his place though.

I was getting ready to give him 5 votes after quarter time. Then he got moved down back at stages for quarters 2 and 3. No idea why? and i think Heppell moved more into the midfield as a result. Just from what i briefly saw. Maybe a management thing, matchup, rotation?

Knew i had a reason to be confident going into this, we have let the scum know where they really are. Disappointed it wasn't a triple figures margin.

Wonderful seeing Goddard take shit from no one tonight. A Carlton player was having a go at one of our guys in the forward 50, Goddard ran straight up a tore the Carlton player off him, in the end we got a 50 meter penalty and certain goal due to one of the Carlton guys cracking it at Goddard. Though triple M were saying they wanted Goddard sighted for staging. They were barracking hard against us, especially Billy Brainless. I haven't seen footage of the incident though.

Was just so good seeing the players stand the **** up for each other out there.

tbh I'm stumped myself.. a mate and I were discussing it as we drove home from the game, the club's tried: different coaches, different recruiting staff, different players and different fitness guys but the same problems still seem to persist. The club as a whole seems to really be in a funk, there will be changes at board level come seasons end so I can only hope that the new President brings about change (for the better).
Obviously it's very easy to say when your side performs as laughably as mine did tonight but it'd be great if in a few years time the Bombers/Blues/Pies/Tigers were all up and about at the same time.
You should all be really proud of your boys btw, they've stuck together really well over the past 12 months and play for each other like all great teams do.
Anyway enjoy the win, hopefully next time the Blues can make it a contest.

Not to derail with the 'should Bomber coach in 2015' again.. but seriously, those who think we wouldn't be doing well if Hird was coaching are niave. Yes Bomber is a good coach and we are damn lucky to have him at the helm.. but we are also a very good footy side that is getting better every year as per the PLAN that was put in place by Hird AND Bomber three years ago.

We started last season 13-3 amidst the drama of the saga.. and with a team that was 12 months 'behind' the development of this year's team (think Merrett/Gleeson/Ashby/Melksham/Ambrose)... so anyone who thinks this form is 'surprising' hasn't been paying attention.

It feels a bit like those who suggest that Brad Chris Scott is 'as good a coach as Bomber' cause he won a flag in his first year... made much easier by the fact that he basically inherited a star studded team with a ready made game plan...!

No doubt we are better this year and no doubt that Bomber is doing a great job of keeping everyone calm/relaxed and loving all the media work he does.. but a lot of the hard work done over the last three years is starting to pay off.. regardless of who is in the 'big seat'.

The whole club should be taking the credit for turning this around.. we have a great list, great development, strong game plan, excellent training base, record membership and strong footy department. Lest we should say that our club has come out of last year in a "very very good position" as predicted...

Next week another huge test with Freo hurting after a loss, but down some key injuries... we managed to pull off the win last year (with Hird coaching) so let's hope we can back that up again this year and get the season off to a flyer.

2-2 for the first month we had would be a pass mark, 3-1 is an A+.. so let's do it BOMBERS!!!

Last edited:
It feels a bit like those who suggest that Brad Scott is 'as good a coach as Bomber' cause he won a flag in his first year... made much easier by the fact that he basically inherited a star studded team with a ready made game plan...!

Uh... Chris.

Brad is the equal of Bomba (ha) in the sense that he generates equally-as-amusing .gifs with his coaches box antics.

Not to derail with the 'should Bomber coach in 2015' again.. but seriously, those who think we wouldn't be doing well if Hird was coaching are niave. Yes Bomber is a good coach and we are damn lucky to have him at the helm.. but we are also a very good footy side that is getting better every year as per the PLAN that was put in place by Hird AND Bomber three years ago.

We started last season 13-3 amidst the drama of the saga.. and with a team that was 12 months 'behind' the development of this year's team (think Merrett/Gleeson/Ashby/Melksham/Ambrose)... so anyone who thinks this form is 'surprising' hasn't been paying attention.

It feels a bit like those who suggest that Brad Scott is 'as good a coach as Bomber' cause he won a flag in his first year... made much easier by the fact that he basically inherited a star studded team with a ready made game plan...!

No doubt we are better this year and no doubt that Bomber is doing a great job of keeping everyone calm/relaxed and loving all the media work he does.. but a lot of the hard work done over the last three years is starting to pay off.. regardless of who is in the 'big seat'.

The whole club should be taking the credit for turning this around.. we have a great list, great development, strong game plan, excellent training base, record membership and strong footy department. Lest we should say that our club has come out of last year in a "very very good position" as predicted...

Next week another huge test with Freo hurting after a loss, but down some key injuries... we managed to pull off the win last year (with Hird coaching) so let's hope we can back that up again this year and get the season off to a flyer.

2-2 for the first month we had would be a pass mark, 3-1 is an A+.. so let's do it BOMBERS!!!
I'm sure no one would suggest Brad Scott is as good a coach as Bomber.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 3: v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back