Review Round 3: v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Depends who's injured (because I sure as hell wouldn't want to have to make that choice)
If I made the tough call it'd be:

Chapman - Carlisle - Ambrose/Hardingham (the latter clubhouse leader right now)
Winderlich - Daniher - Bellchambers

Jake was close to BOG...listen to the commentary, there is huge discussion on the over emphasis of hitouts compared to a mobile ruckman, who can play as a mid also, compare the stats and it makes total sense to play Jake in the ruck.....Plus Joe D...Look how many times Warnock watches after his hit outs, he tapped it into his own head once...LOL.. The second efforts and running ability of these 2 have me very excited...perfect modern combination...

There is a big difference between a ruck losing the taps and a tall guy who doesn't have a ruck technique losing taps. We lost the clearances last night which, given the gulf that exists between the quality of inside midfielders of the two sides, I'd say it confirms that it isn't taps that are important as body positioning.

Tell that to Warnock, watch the replay..I'm gonna, Jake got some hit outs as did Joe, but we exposed them with our mobility..
we were lucky carlton was crap every where else around the ground. Lose hitouts and clearances on a regular basis and we will struggle against the good teams

I'm not saying that the around the ground stuff isn't important. He's a classic CHF. He's excellent around the ground but he's not a ruckman. It's about finding both, understand? A side with good mids, say, Fremantle, would have doubled our clearances tonight.
Possibly a pinch hitting ruck?
Paddy is mobile so its not like we have a lumbering oaf in the incumbent ruck pos...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Something is wrong at Visy. When a player with walkers skills can not hit a barn door all night you know there is a mental issue. Not sure what it is though.

Love the style you guys are showing. There is a bunch of guys enjoying their footy. And why wouldn't they after all the off field drama.
Could it be that he's underdone?
First game for the season im pretty sure so may not have had much of a pre-season (not just fitness affected by lack of training)

That was quite beautiful to watch.

I'm loving the fact Baguley has added an attacking element to his game, it makes our defence so much harder to pin down when we have ball in hand with pretty much everyone prepared to attack when it's their turn. Hooker has played within his disposal abilities for a few years now and even he is now starting to take more attacking options if they're there, not just doing the 20m safety pass.

If premierships are based on defence, our back 6 plus our team defence across the entire ground is definitely moving us in the right direction.

Possibly a pinch hitting ruck?
Paddy is mobile so its not like we have a lumbering oaf in the incumbent ruck pos...
Nah, I still think we're at our best with both Paddy and T-Bell

Please stop saying that Carlisle is our rucking future. We at least know that we have a good back up .... and AS I'VE BEEN SAYING he should be the back up ruck ahead of Daniher when one of Ryder or TBell are injured.

I also think the super mobile forward line worked very well last night and I want 1 KPF + resting ruck and a super mobile CHF so either Ambrose or Watson, Goddard and Myers rotate through there. Daniher to bide his time in the 2s with Carlisle going back to defense after Fletcher retires.

After the performance of Hardingham and J. Merrett so far this year, including my idea of only one KPF, I've finally let go of my Jetta and Pears man love. Well I still love them but I think we trade them at the end of the year to improve drafting positions for our 3rd and/or 2nd round picks. Our list has come together and these two are too good to be mere depth at a club. There is good karma to be gotten if we can help them find a home.

We have a very good side. Add some rucks, a super endurance CHF and Dempsey's run off half back (which improves Hibberd as clubs can't tag them both) and Hibberd also getting more mobility (as he's clearly struggling with a stiff hammy).

If we get super fortunate with injuries this year we could have Gleeson, Ashby and both Merretts playing 2s and keeping heaps of pressure on those in the side. It will also have Pears, Jetta and Colyer plus a few other less notables playing for their careers.

Hirdy biding his time! I hope he's senior assistant to VFL in the finals series!!!

For us to go anywhere though. We need 70 goals in a single season from Daniher, Carlisle, TBC/Ryder.

History will tell you this is a minimum for all premiership sides.

What if we get 20 from Ambrose, 40 from Chappy and 30 from Winderlich? Hardy can chip in with another 20 and I think that between Watson, Goddard, Zaharakis, Stanton, Myers and Melksham can add around 150 between them. That is 260 goals already, which is averaging around 12 a game. Then if we were to average 16 goals a game then yes we need another 80 goals between them. However, I am very hopeful that we can easily defend 14 goals a game, so I'd be happy if they contibuted more to team defense and only contributed 50-60 goals between them!

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 3: v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back