Review Round 3: v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Given they are in direct competition I'd say yes, but it'd be an educated guess only.
Hmm, seems weird that they can get Friday night games out which finish later but not Sunday night games. Anyway, I only subscribe online as I don't have time for the actual newspapers :)

Thought Carlton would have played their prized recruit in Daisy Thomas tonight. Not sure why they didn't. Oh wait...
Yep, watched the game on TV with my dad and when Daisy came on screen walking to his position after three quarter time, Dad goes 'oh there's daisy, why isn't he playing?'.......

Raises a very interesting question about team balance in modern footy... are we going too tall up forward? Looked great tonight with smaller, leading targets.. and forced the midfield to lower the eyes and actually hit up targets (same as second half against Hawthorn) instead of bombing it forward..

Very impressive and Gleeson gets the nod ahead of Ashby for mine.. he is a freak. Ashby was good.. but spots are limited.

We will need Ryder to be right against Sandi and Freo.. can't see them letting us get away with not playing a ruckman tbh.

Good post. I have been thinking for some time that the need for tall marking forwrds in modern footy is overrated. There are so few pack marks taken these days. It is much more important to be able to get off your man and present to space, a la Gunstone.
I don't think we should ever go back to the set up where we have all of a ruckman (Ryder/Belch), Carlisle and Daniher in the forward line together.
Even I, as an advocate of medium/small leading fast forwards, was worried going into this game that we were going too far. But boy did it look good. That would be the most marks inside 50 I can remember us having for a long time, and consequently the most set shots at goal, rather than scrambled opportunist attempts, which is what had been happening.
Oh, and a special mention to Hardingham. He did the job when the game was still up for grabs, and the improvement in his kicking for goal is a credit to him.

So impressed with our recruiting over the last few years. Picked up guys like Merrett, Gleeson, Ashby etc with great skills and footy smarts who were always going to take time to develop but we're seeing the results now

And Ill throw one out to the Blues. It was good to see Rowe get out there and play.

Absolutely.

Bryce Gibbs should be embarrassed to be putting in pea-hearted efforts and questioning the list strategy when he's playing with a guy like Rowe who's been to hell and back and, despite not being a great footballer, gives his all.

Phew, what a great nights entertainment! Just smashed Carlton right across the ground. Was so great to see the two-way running from all players, our pressure when they had the ball was great, as was the way our backs zoned off and supported each other.

I gave Heppell a serve last week, but he was great last night. Was defensively responsible when he needed to be and used the ball well. Merrett, Goodard, Chappy were immense, as were Bags and Hibbo off half back. Hocking was great in his 100th and Hurley and Hooker were just rocks down back. Fletch is timeless and it was awesome to see Hardingham and Winders play well up forward. Highlight of the night had to be The Derp's grin after slotting that goal. This game was far more enjoyable than the thrashing of Melbourne last year.

My only (minor) nitpicks where that too often we handballed to a stationary target or someone who was under pressure, and we often bombed the ball deep into our 50 when they'd dropped a loose man back (although it didn't hurt us as they were crap). Against good sides these errors may not go unpunsihed.

Still not a fan of the time slot. Managed to drop the son at his grandparents place just before 1030, but didn't get home until after midnight. If we hadn't have given the Blues such a spanking work would not be too enjoyable today.

It is pleasing how we've made Carlton and North Melbourne enjoy some of their worst losses.

"CARLTON defender Michael Jamison has declared Sunday night's 81-point loss to Essendon the worst defeat he has ever experienced."
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-04-07/worst-ever-loss-jamison

North Melbourne chairman James Brayshaw has labelled the 39-point loss to Essendon as the club’s worst defeat in the Brad Scott-era and has demanded a ‘‘strong response’’ against the Western Bulldogs.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...e-atrocious-20140322-hvlkr.html#ixzz2yAOh70SF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is pleasing how we've made Carlton and North Melbourne enjoy some of their worst losses.

"CARLTON defender Michael Jamison has declared Sunday night's 81-point loss to Essendon the worst defeat he has ever experienced."

North Melbourne chairman James Brayshaw has labelled the 39-point loss to Essendon as the club’s worst defeat in the Brad Scott-era and has demanded a ‘‘strong response’’ against the Western Bulldogs.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...e-atrocious-20140322-hvlkr.html#ixzz2yAOh70SF

It seems like playing Essendon coincides with playing terribly for a few teams. Nothing to do with Essendon of course.

The bottom line regarding Hird and Thompson... why not have both?!!

I think it was working beautifully with Hird as senior coach and Thompson as the 'mentor' or 'head of coaching development'.. I sincerely hope they go back to that next year.. and personally I think they will without a hassle.

If anything it will be better because Thompson will have built so much more rapport with the players.. so he will be able to get even more involved (as apparently previously he was a bit more 'hands off')...

Whichever way you look at it, other than the complete bullshit that is ASADA, these two men have rebuilt our footy club from the ground up and I am LOVING the results. I really can see hope for the future but of course the real test will come in Rounds 14-23.. that is when we will know if we have truly developed or just stagnated. Need to keep this level of play deeper and deeper into seasons.. Premiership in the next three years (if not all 3!)

I'm also thinking that the first half against Hawthorn may have been the perfect 'learning' tool for Thompson to use with the team.. essentially to highlight how to create space in a F50 and hit up targets rather than bomb long. Even though Hawks have several good marking options up forward, they try to avoid bombing as much as possible, hence the high number of marks they take between 35m-50m out uncontested.

I thought 2nd half of last week and then all last night, we played that style.. hitting up the short target almost every time.. worked well and was almost unstoppable.

For mine you can do this even with talls in your forward line, if the midfielders show the patience and courage to hold onto the ball for the extra 1-2 seconds and pick the right target.

Just struck me as 'hawthorn-esque' some of our forward entries last night.. very deliberate and almost risk free..

10245340_644348368936079_5984143133824037734_n.jpg

LOL
Carlton captain Marc Murphy displays his strong leadership skills.

https://www.facebook.com/titus.orei...3580375346213/644348368936079/?type=1&theater

lurking on both boards has been a sublime experience. The existential angst is delicious

lurking on both boards has been a sublime experience. The existential angst is delicious
I enjoyed this comment from one of their posters:

"Essendon under Bomber suddenly learned that in order to compete you need size and willingness as much as skill. He made a big statement about teh importance of size when he first signed up with Essendon. It has taken them three years and dodgy performance drug regime - but they are where they are now. "

Their tears are delicious.

To be fair, most Carlton supporters have hosed down the ASADA stuff.. most are being quite honest that supplements or no supplements.. their team sucked.

I can understand their tears.. only supporters in history that thought finishing 9th deserved to play in finals.. and yes the odd one still hoping that we get Infractions.. in some kind of cosmic twist that makes it acceptable for them to field one of the most pathetically soft teams in history..

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 3: v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back