Review Round 3: v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

The bottom line regarding Hird and Thompson... why not have both?!!

I think it was working beautifully with Hird as senior coach and Thompson as the 'mentor' or 'head of coaching development'.. I sincerely hope they go back to that next year.. and personally I think they will without a hassle.

If anything it will be better because Thompson will have built so much more rapport with the players.. so he will be able to get even more involved (as apparently previously he was a bit more 'hands off')...

Whichever way you look at it, other than the complete bullshit that is ASADA, these two men have rebuilt our footy club from the ground up and I am LOVING the results. I really can see hope for the future but of course the real test will come in Rounds 14-23.. that is when we will know if we have truly developed or just stagnated. Need to keep this level of play deeper and deeper into seasons.. Premiership in the next three years (if not all 3!)
Agree totally, would love to see Bomber still do the Press conferences though, he's totally brilliant at it..

24 hrs on.. still feels good.. so good!!

Agree with comments on Jobe.. I reckon it is a sign of our maturity that I thought our players are becoming smarter at doing 'smart running'.. ie why injure yourself, why go 120%(figuratively) when you have the match under control.

Season is a marathon.. and we need to conserve energy where possible. That doesn't mean go soft, or don't run etc etc.. but just do smart running.

I think Jobe had another 2 gears.. and that is scary when you consider that he had a decent game..

rines are you Mark Thompson in disguise?

You pretty much said everything he said in his 'coaches corner' video.

The team were selfless, that we need to play smarter to conserve energy across the year etc.

Watching 360 Live. Roast
The entire first segment is about how bad Carlton was, not a mention of how good we were.

****ing media.

Watching 360 Live. Roast
The entire first segment is about how bad Carlton was, not a mention of how good we were.

******* media.

but that's what we expect right? we're the bad guys.

f.uck em. when we go all the way and pinch one it'll be all the more sweeter.

but that's what we expect right? we're the bad guys.

f.uck em. when we go all the way and pinch one it'll be all the more sweeter.

Pretty sure that is what happens any time any team is blown out. Almost never about how good one team played but rather a segment on how garbage the other one was. Especially seeing as they didn't have an excuse (like Freo did v Hawks with no Barlow/Fyfe)

Pretty sure that is what happens any time any team is blown out. Almost never about how good one team played but rather a segment on how garbage the other one was. Especially seeing as they didn't have an excuse (like Freo did v Hawks with no Barlow/Fyfe)

well that's the media post-internet era. can't believe how much it's changed.

the 80's / 90's - if a team win by 15 goals, 3 pages on the winners! champions... who's gonna stop them etc.

post internet / foxtel media influx - 20 reasons what's wrong with the team that lost by 15 goals and WHO'S fault it is

The team were selfless, that we need to play smarter to conserve energy across the year etc.

Really? Cool. It makes sense.. it is the next step in the development. As will the rotating resting of players over the season to ensure we are cherry ripe come August/September..

ON that.. this is where depth becomes key.. need to have a group of 25-28 guys that can all play the role without drop off.. that is the difference between Geelong dominance and St Kilda near misses...

Really? Cool. It makes sense.. it is the next step in the development. As will the rotating resting of players over the season to ensure we are cherry ripe come August/September..

ON that.. this is where depth becomes key.. need to have a group of 25-28 guys that can all play the role without drop off.. that is the difference between Geelong dominance and St Kilda near misses...

Having watched the VFL and knowing what they can produce. That 'depth' may still be a season away for guys like Kavanagh, Hams (injured), Z.Merret, Dalgleish (injured), Browne (injured), Edwards, Colyer (injured?).

This is where we need a good run of injuries. We seem to always run into problems whilst successful teams have relatively injury - free seasons.

Having watched the VFL and knowing what they can produce. That 'depth' may still be a season away for guys like Kavanagh, Hams (injured), Z.Merret, Dalgleish (injured), Browne (injured), Edwards, Colyer (injured?).

This is where we need a good run of injuries. We seem to always run into problems whilst successful teams have relatively injury - free seasons.

Which is why we are still probably 12 months away from being 'at the death'.. but if injuries go nicely then yeah you can probably get further..

Watching 360 Live. Roast

******* media.

Listened to SEN on the way home last night. Exactly the same. How about some credit where it's due?

They always focus on the negative, it's the bigger story.

We are still getting praised, let's just enjoy how we destroyed the club formally known as Carlton FC.

Man it feels good listening to their prissy footballers talk about how it was the worst loss they ever had, we did that. Essendon.

**** Carlton, Scum.

They always focus on the negative, it's the bigger story.

We are still getting praised, let's just enjoy how we destroyed the club formally known as Carlton FC.

Man it feels good listening to their prissy footballers talk about how it was the worst loss they ever had, we did that. Essendon.

**** Carlton, Scum.

Haha i love it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know if i miss Bomber or the players talking that i can just read Rines post

it sure does. funny when you have an emphatic win, it really emphasizes who the passengers are.
Mate, he didn't even play. Surely the Pears comments are a bit out of context here.

I agree that he'll have a tough time getting in, mind you. Which is more reflective of how we're going than a knock on Pears, because he wasn't exactly bad when he played last year.

To be fair, most Carlton supporters have hosed down the ASADA stuff.. most are being quite honest that supplements or no supplements.. their team sucked.

I can understand their tears.. only supporters in history that thought finishing 9th deserved to play in finals.. and yes the odd one still hoping that we get Infractions.. in some kind of cosmic twist that makes it acceptable for them to field one of the most pathetically soft teams in history..
Well said. I can't remember seeing any Carlton supporters that have used the supplement issue as an excuse, or trolled with it, regarding yesterday's game. Pretty impressive, especially compared to the Hawks the week before. Well done blues fans

That was quite beautiful to watch.

I'm loving the fact Baguley has added an attacking element to his game, it makes our defence so much harder to pin down when we have ball in hand with pretty much everyone prepared to attack when it's their turn. Hooker has played within his disposal abilities for a few years now and even he is now starting to take more attacking options if they're there, not just doing the 20m safety pass.

If premierships are based on defence, our back 6 plus our team defence across the entire ground is definitely moving us in the right direction.

Really starting get a man-crush on Bags

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well said. I can't remember seeing any Carlton supporters that have used the supplement issue as an excuse, or trolled with it, regarding yesterday's game. Pretty impressive, especially compared to the Hawks the week before. Well done blues fans

you haven't lived mate, hop down to the delusional pearlers thread

Mate, he didn't even play. Surely the Pears comments are a bit out of context here.

I agree that he'll have a tough time getting in, mind you. Which is more reflective of how we're going than a knock on Pears, because he wasn't exactly bad when he played last year.
It comes from the state of mind that would likely produce similar comments regarding Hardi if he wasn't in there kicking goals right now. I'm looking at you Table tennis! ;) Hardi the player who "isn't an AFL footballer" lol

It comes from the state of mind that would likely produce similar comments regarding Hardi if he wasn't in there kicking goals right now. I'm looking at you Table tennis! ;) Hardi the player who "isn't an AFL footballer" lol
Apparently wouldn't get a game for Melbourne or Brisbane

it sure does. funny when you have an emphatic win, it really emphasizes who the passengers are.

The bloke who didn't even play? Get a grip.

We've got at least 25 guys who'll be available either next week or the week after who are best 22 standard, let alone the Dempsey and Bellchambers types who are further away. There's some very good players missing every week, and it's hardly a slight on Pears that he can't get a game when Hooker would be leading the Crichton, Hurley is dominating and Fletcher is playing as well as he has for 5 years.

Well whaddya know. Shit recruiting, piss poor culture, drastically over rated coaches and soft talentless spuds is NOT the way to a flag....

Who knew?

Oh wait..... I did......

As for the media coverage, there's only so much you can be fellated by the media in Rd 3. I'd rather listen to Carlton supporters calling up on the verge of tears than hear the sort of sycophantic rubbish that West Coast have been getting since beating Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 3: v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back