Autopsy Round 4, 2022: Hawthorn v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

The narrative that it was a bump is off the mark. It was a body check. One performed countless times throughout each match to ensure disposing players can't get involved in the next chain of play. One which is encouraged by every coach with any shred of knowledge.
It was interesting listening to Buckley talk about it this morning. Sounded like he was talking about it from the way club's educate players to protect themselves. He seemed to imply that Day was leaving himself too open and that Day himself contributed to the problem.

Comparing apples with oranges

Whether you agree with the decision or not, the McKay argument was that he had hands out going for a footy that was in dispute

The ball wasn't in dispute for Ryder. He should have been looking to smother or tackle
When Hunter Clark got hit the ball was not in dispute, Clark had possession of it, the argument was whether McKay could have reasonably foreseen that he wouldnt win possesion of the ball and made a different decision (the tribunal effectively said no because they deemed he didnt choose to bump, which honestly still doesnt make much sense to me).

In this instance Day had the ball and Paddy has chosen to go toward him to pressure the kick. Day could have baulked or stepped or done any number of things that would have meant Paddy could tackle or apply pressure to force him to dispose of the ball.

The incidents arent exactly the same but they are not miles apart either.

Again, im fine for Paddy to go for this if they apply all the rules and precedent they claim they usually do but there also glaring omissions in the application case by case that frankly makes the MRP an absolute joke.

Whoever the Saints fan is who just called up SEN and pointed out Will Day deviated his path after he kicked the ball which then caused the front on contact needs to be on our appeals team.

King's kick to Hill in the first was a beauty. That kind of field kicking hasn't been a feature of his game, but I'm looking forward to seeing more of it. He often seems really indecisive when he's kicking around the ground, so hopefully he can start to develop some confidence and bring that into his game more often. Certainly has the skills to do it, has seemed to be more of a confidence thing.

It was interesting listening to Buckley talk about it this morning. Sounded like he was talking about it from the way club's educate players to protect themselves. He seemed to imply that Day was leaving himself too open and that Day himself contributed to the problem.
It is reasonable to assume that in a contact sport you should anticipate contact when the ball is in play.
We can't keep punishing the player where the outcome is accidental

So why did Mackay get off for breaking Hunter Clark's jaw?

Probably because it was a St Kilda player that got injured but in all seriousness that was a rare example of a player getting injured in a case that went to the MRP/Tribunal and the player that injured them getting off without a suspension, that doesn't seem to happen too often these days.

When Hunter Clark got hit the ball was not in dispute, Clark had possession of it, the argument was whether McKay could have reasonably foreseen that he wouldnt win possesion of the ball and made a different decision (the tribunal effectively said no because they deemed he didnt choose to bump, which honestly still doesnt make much sense to me).

In this instance Day had the ball and Paddy has chosen to go toward him to pressure the kick. Day could have baulked or stepped or done any number of things that would have meant Paddy could tackle or apply pressure to force him to dispose of the ball.

The incidents arent exactly the same but they are not miles apart either.

Again, im fine for Paddy to go for this if they apply all the rules and precedent they claim they usually do but there also glaring omissions in the application case by case that frankly makes the MRP an absolute joke.
They are 100% miles apart

You've got a bloke running flat out at the footy and then another standing while his opponent is disposing the footy

The English comparison is a good one if you want to compare apples with apples. Watching that makes me think we actually may have a case.

The McKay one isn't even worth discussing in the same sentence as this one.

They are 100% miles apart

You've got a bloke running flat out at the footy and then another standing while his opponent is disposing the footy

The English comparison is a good one if you want to compare apples with apples

The McKay one isn't even worth discussing in the same sentence as this one.
Apologies i didnt realize you were the authority on what can and cant be discussed. Given most people agree wholeheartedly that even the MRP is entirely subjective incident to incident im amazed youve managed to just crack the code on what is and is not worth comparing.

The narrative that it was a bump is off the mark. It was a body check. One performed countless times throughout each match to ensure disposing players can't get involved in the next chain of play. One which is encouraged by every coach with any shred of knowledge.
The slippery slope argument is a wash because the MRP never has any consistency but if they did then this one would **** them as Paddy has every right to pressure the kicker and if Day then runs head first into him it seems ridiculous to punish him for that.

Apologies i didnt realize you were the authority on what can and cant be discussed. Given most people agree wholeheartedly that even the MRP is entirely subjective incident to incident im amazed youve managed to just crack the code on what is and is not worth comparing.

Well I hardly think that case or anything similar would even be brought up if the case was to go to tribunal, because they are nothing alike

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well I hardly think that case or anything similar would even be brought up if the case was to go to tribunal, because they are nothing alike
My point is more that no case generally gets brought up as the MRP doesnt concern themselves with precedent. You think those two are nothing alike, i disagree, we may as well be on the MRP together because were about as consistent as they are.

Honestly if i wake up tomorrow and Paddy has been given 6 or gotten off with nothing neither outcome would shock me.

I was listening to that and Bucks view was interesting he is very good to listen to

I just watched the replay and the hawks play didn't change his angle

if it was a Hawks player that gave the bump we would be saying he should get a week IMO

Max could realistically kick 10 goals in a match, which is basically unheard of in modern footy. It's only a matter of time before he kicks a massive bag.
He could’ve kicked much bigger lags the last two weeks. Dropped a lot of marks gave some chances away and missed some. I’ll tell you this as well I’ve seen him do this a number of times for no success yet. When he grabs the pill with one hand and busts through a couple tackles before trying to snap it’s absolutely fecked for someone his size. Once he gets one. It’s gonna be all over for defenders.

I was listening to that and Bucks view was interesting he is very good to listen to

I just watched the replay and the hawks play didn't change his angle

if it was a Hawks player that gave the bump we would be saying he should get a week IMO
I actually dont think this is true, i raised the McKay one from last year and i can distinctly recall a bunch of people here saying it was completely right he got off.

I shitcan our supporters and this board more than most but i actually think when it comes to being unbiased were as good as there is.

King's kick to Hill in the first was a beauty. That kind of field kicking hasn't been a feature of his game, but I'm looking forward to seeing more of it. He often seems really indecisive when he's kicking around the ground, so hopefully he can start to develop some confidence and bring that into his game more often. Certainly has the skills to do it, has seemed to be more of a confidence thing.
I missed the first yesterday but just watched the highlights and the bolded, hooley dooley. Went under the man on the marks arms and had to have gone 40m flat around the corner.

Best game I've seen Sinclair play.

Agree- however he very uncharacteristically fumbled the ball a lot yesterday which was surprising.

Normally that's the best part of his game- incredible hands and reflexes.

Awesome to see him play so well, yet still have room to improve.

He and gresh as genuine mids changes our entire team from one paced battlers to white collar class

Last year on the AFL site, you could watch the all individual involvements for each player in a game. Can't seem to find that this year. Does anyone know where this is/if it is still a thing?

I actually think paddy wasn’t even bumping but protecting himself. Hence he didn’t jump. He just braved for impact. Also I hate when they show these incidents in slow mo, because the incident didn’t happan in slow mo. It’s BS because we know if it was Hawkins or Danger or Dusty etc but because he plays for the saints he won’t get the discount.

So glad Butler got votes

Hawthorn vs St Kilda
Jack Sinclair (STK)
Bradley Hill (STK)
Jack Steele (STK)
Dan Butler (STK)
Tim Membrey (STK)
Jade Gresham (STK)

He's having a good season so far. Sincs with the perfect 10 as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 4, 2022: Hawthorn v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back