Review Round 4 = Brisbane Lions 116-83 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot of different factors in that loss.

First quarter it was on our terms; avoid the stoppage, run and carry. Kick goals. Simple, really.

Second quarter the Lions knew they had to boost their pressure to force the stoppage where they had complete dominance.

Take away that second quarter momentum rush and we probably beat them, but that's easier said than done. Hard to stop a good side with momentum on their home deck when you don't have anything in the ruck.

Unfortunately we just missed shots when we desperately needed goals and, as I said in the game day thread, I wouldn't say Brisbane necessarily had a Geelong-like 'can't miss' night. They just got out the back. How many Joe the goose goals? How many marks out the back to take a set shot 15m out?

Unfortunately all we can do is try to pinch a game or two with two good rucks ahead of us. Then hopefully Cox can come back in so we can actually regather our forward structure with McStay back down there.

Fought it out well. Thought we were going to be blown away. Too many crucial goals missed when we could have put them under pressure. Crisp obviously didn't have his head in the game. Checkers needs to learn to mark with his hands out rather than on the chest. Nick was sensational for 3 quarters.
Kicking long to our forward line didn't work with McStay in the ruck.
Still a good learning opportunity. Losing to Brisbane is not the worst thing that can happen.

Lot of blokes were heavily involved yet had a Barry.

Fair few nearly unsighted.

Brions planned well for our gameplan, we weren't up to it.

Desperately need to find a stand in ruck for a few weeks to help out our forward line.

I know we play off our opponents in the backline, but we have been caught out the back far too many times tonight
This happened all pre season, and is completely reliant on us control stoppages. We don't control stoppages everyone is gonna find easy goals over the top. It's gonna be another ruck domination next week against St Kilda, but after that it should be a bit easier against a bunch of teams without any strong rucks until we get Cox and Cameron back.

Brisbane are a good side and were always going to respond at the Gabba. Our defenders were totally outclassed by some fired up Lions forwards who have been piled into by the media. We seem to lack speed on the last line of defence. Cameron murdered us, and Rayner cashed in one of his good game chips for the year.

Every midfielder bar Pendlebury a long way off their best tonight. Hopefully just an off night. Crisp and Adams horrible. Our makeshift rucks refused to compete and that set us back from the get go. Going to be a rough few weeks until Cox returns. The good news is next time we face Brisbane we will have a ruck and improved structure.

Elliott needs a rocket up his ass. Been terrible this year, and Ginnivan kicks all 3 he missed. Ginni must return i don’t care if he didn’t carve up the VFL today. McCreery needs to lift.

Seems like sides do not miss set shots ever against us. Is it our fault on defending? Or is it coincidence? Meanwhile our set shot kicking is such a let down so often. Despite getting belted around the ground, the game should have been much closer than it was. We won inside 50’s and scoring shots. A lot of those behinds were gettable.

All in all we’ll be fine. Melbourne got belted by Brisbane, Sydney got belted by Melbourne. Good teams can have off weeks. The response will tell a lot.

Daicos is now outright favourite to win the Brownlow and fair enough. He’ll poll another 3 tonight. Unbelievable footballer.

Brisbane didn't really kick any difficult goals. A lot inside 15m and running into goal.

This whole scoring shots arguments stuff is illogical and nonsense.

Sure we need to kick better at goal. But to suggest if we had, we would have won, it’s all delusional sliding door stuff.

Kick anyone of those points as goals and the remainder of the game is completely different. Could have won. Could have lost by more.

And that second quarter started off so well.

Thought we still had a chance in the third but butchered so many opportunities. Very uncharacteristic

Crisp had an absoloute mare. You could see after the first few minutes he was off.

The one positive is now we have an opportunity to work out how to stop teams from getting out the back. We can now, adjust.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Very little went right or our way yet we still managed 28 scoring shots. As bad as we played we win that with one of Cameron or Cox and possibly also do even with just better ruck strategy. Getting a tall forward to not contest the ruck was dumb and made things too easy for them. No coincidence that they kicked straight given the very easy opportunities we gave up from stoppages.

We looked much better with Johnson in the ruck as he at least put some pressure on their ruck and it also allowed McStay to play his best role.

Crisp a shocker and clearly his head wasn’t in it tonight.

Also think at times we need to choose to take possession instead of knocking it around. The lions were switched onto this tactic and didn’t commit to the first tackle, which allowed them to influence and pressure the subsequent contest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane played very well. All their stars fired. Glad we don't have to play them at home again. Let's be honest we would have all taken 3-1 given our draw.
I’m sorry we don’t play them again.They’re a completely different side at the MCG and so are we.I think we would have the, covered at home.

Odd to see so many players have an off game on the same night. Understandable from Crisp, I wonder if there was a specific reason why others were off (IQ and Sidearse the first to come to mind).

I get that we're missing our rucks and our usual structure, but there were so many basic skill errors. Along with simply less pressure and intensity than usual.

Despite the final margin it feels like we wouldn't have to tweak too much to make that a win. Having me scoring shots indicates this, the chances were there.

I thought we might drop this. We find it hard to win there, but Brisbane had Melbourne on the ropes up there too. A positive is the Ash Johnson gives us XFactor. We did as well as possible with our ruck stocks, but we were let down by goal kicking yips again. This loss is disappointing, but I think there were plenty of positives, considering a few blokes were well down.

I’m sorry we don’t play them again.They’re a completely different side at the MCG and so are we.I think we would have the, covered at home.
We would have had them covered in this game if Cameron was playing. It's not just the ruck work itself, Cameron helped us a lot with the contested ball winning, which is critical to unlocking how we play.

So disappointed in McStay tonight. I really thought the coaches would have him primed to give us a shot out of the middle but he just gave up so many contests before the ball was even in play. He really needs to apologise to the team for that effort. It sounds stupid, but he does. He set an awful tone and gave Brisbane such a leg up. Ash showed what could be done with an ounce of courage and effort.

Pretty disappointed the coaches didnt pull a change in the ruck earlier too. Theres backing your guy in which Fly loves to do, but he sacrificed the other 21 players out there by continuing to back in McStay.

Its not all McStay though, so many others just were not present, Crispy obviously, took him about 8 possessions to get an effective one, Q was an abomination, Sidey was nowhere, Beau fumbled his way through every possession.[Edit: Elliot - FFS man, you are better than this, you dont make those stupid mistakes kicking to nothing, maybe get some goal kicking practice too, really costly tonight]

Hats of to Nick though, what a star. Pendles, Bruz, Murph, Johnny Noble, Chekers, Ash - you guys nearly did it, you nearly beat Brisbane with no help from your mates. [Edit: Well done to Bobby too]

Even Nick made uncharacteristic mistakes

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 4 = Brisbane Lions 116-83 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back