Round 4 - North Melbourne Vs Essendon (Sunday @ ES)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Odds V Kangaroos

One more win and i might start mentioning the f word. **** i'm been a Knights supporter the day he was appointed
Easy tiger. Gotta win more than 3 to be able to meant the F word. If we want to mention the F word, we have to win our next 3 because our draw is tough after that.

Well after dealing with the scum on Saturday, our attention moves forward to this weeks clash with the North Melbourne Football Club.

The 2 teams are coming off 2 completely contrasting weeks. On our hand, we have over come the odds, and once again, conquered an old foe, where as North were medicore after an embarassing week which saw the club humiliated, and ultimately distracted against a team who was down and who they had a good record against.

Now, if we have learnt one thing from our clashes with North in the past, it's that we get royally screwed when we are drawn to play them. So often do we get them off a bad week, and they decide to rebound against us to conjor a win. So, to everyone who has experienced a bout of 'egoitis' just remember, they have shown that bounce back consistantly over the years. We on the other hand, have in previous years have had more ups and downs then Britney Spears. If we are to play finals this year, we must win this game. Why you may ask? Because it shows that we have matured and will not get ahead of ourselves throughout the year. And yes, that doesn't mean I'm writting us off if we lose, rather it makes me ponder if we are mentally fit for a 22 round season of consistant football yet.

Now, to the match itself. We will all remember round 1 of last year, and most of you still remember the previous 6 games before that. Last year, we defeated with our gut-busting run, our team work and a few up and comers struting their stuff. North will line up with a similar team, if not, they have added a few capable youngsters to their line up. Hopefully Hale is out, as he would be a player who would like playing against us.

Brent Harvey has been horribly out of form to date, and could well be set for a big one against us god forbid. Hocking should go to him, and keeping him quite for the 4th round in a row will go a long way for us to being 3-1. Daniel Wells is another player we will be dreading. The small forward with a lot of talent (Motlop) really stretches us, and providing Laidley tries to stretch our defence by playing him (which would be the first thing I'd do if I was coaching North) I would be tempted to play Dempsey off him. Why? Well, it has been well publicised that Wells as it is, is putting as much effort in as Mantis is getting out of the way of a cyclist, none. I'm hoping Knights tries to exploit Wells through Dempsey, as we all saw what this kid can do last week.

On the injury front, we are finally seeing the light, with Spike, Lonergan and McPhee all expected to come back into the side. Now that leaves the question as to who gets left out. I would propose we leave out Jetta (Had a chance, did some nice things, but didn't do what was asked of him, consistancy.) Nash (Wasn't to bad, just the unlucky one) and if Lonergan comes in, Myers (Badly out of shape, play him at Bendigo, and we'll talk about ANZAC day. This should really boost our midfield stocks, and I believe should give us a decissive adavantage in the middle. Expect Lovett, Winderlich and Zaharakis to get more of it as McVeigh and Lonergan help Watson and Hocking feed the ball out to them on a more regular basis.

All in all, if we can knock North about, and keep chipping away at their already hollow confidence, that will go along way to winning this game for us.

Essendon by 23.

Now, if we have learnt one thing from our clashes with North in the past, it's that we get royally screwed when we are drawn to play them. So often do we get them off a bad week, and they decide to rebound against us to conjor a win. So, to everyone who has experienced a bout of 'egoitis' just remember, they have shown that bounce back consistantly over the years. We on the other hand, have in previous years have had more ups and downs then Britney Spears. If we are to play finals this year, we must win this game. Why you may ask? Because it shows that we have matured and will not get ahead of ourselves throughout the year. And yes, that doesn't mean I'm writting us off if we lose, rather it makes me ponder if we are mentally fit for a 22 round season of consistant football yet.

I agree totally. This game will tell us as much about our team as last week did. These are the games we need to win to improve as a unit and push for the f word. I think that the inclusions of McVeigh and McPhee will help us immensley in this regard, especially McVeigh as this is his first game of the year.

Brent Harvey has been horribly out of form to date, and could well be set for a big one against us god forbid. Hocking should go to him, and keeping him quite for the 4th round in a row will go a long way for us to being 3-1. Daniel Wells is another player we will be dreading. The small forward with a lot of talent (Motlop) really stretches us, and providing Laidley tries to stretch our defence by playing him (which would be the first thing I'd do if I was coaching North) I would be tempted to play Dempsey off him. Why? Well, it has been well publicised that Wells as it is, is putting as much effort in as Mantis is getting out of the way of a cyclist, none. I'm hoping Knights tries to exploit Wells through Dempsey, as we all saw what this kid can do last week.

Do you mean Wells rather than Motlop or Thomas, Campbell? We had to deal with Motlop in Round 1!

I'm worried about Boomer having a big game against us and would ensure that Hocking goes to him. Heath would've learnt a lot playing on Judd last week. Boomber is more of a receiver so Hocking needs to play a game similar to that he played in Round 1 on S.Burgoyne.

We need to run run and run this week and Etihad is the best ground for our direct style of play. I'm expecting North to attempt to clog up our space through the midfield and play Petrie at CHB (if Hale plays) as a loose man.

I expect Firrito to go to Lovett, Rawlings on Watson and Simpson to go head to head with McVeigh. This should help Stanton have a good game and push forward to kick a couple of goals....just please start him on the bench for the first 5mins until he WAKES UP!

It will be interesting to see how Hille goes against McIntosh this week. I believe that Hille is struggling in the ruck this year and placing too much focus on the opposition player. Not sure if this has to do with confidence or his conditioning? This looms as a key match up as both are also terrific players around the ground.

Expect McPhee to have a large influence as his work rate up the ground will stretch whoever he plays on and will create space for Lloyd and Lucas (who I expect to kick 3-4 this week and hit some form).

On the injury front, we are finally seeing the light, with Spike, Lonergan and McPhee all expected to come back into the side. Now that leaves the question as to who gets left out. I would propose we leave out Jetta (Had a chance, did some nice things, but didn't do what was asked of him, consistancy.) Nash (Wasn't to bad, just the unlucky one) and if Lonergan comes in, Myers (Badly out of shape, play him at Bendigo, and we'll talk about ANZAC day. This should really boost our midfield stocks, and I believe should give us a decissive adavantage in the middle. Expect Lovett, Winderlich and Zaharakis to get more of it as McVeigh and Lonergan help Watson and Hocking feed the ball out to them on a more regular basis.

I don't think you can drop both Myers and Nash as they play off the back flank without bringing in a similar player (either Quinn or Houli). I think Myers will struggle to keep his spot with the final spot between Quinn, Houli or Nash.

All in all, if we can knock North about, and keep chipping away at their already hollow confidence, that will go along way to winning this game for us.

Essendon by 23.

And a 3-1 start means there are only 9 wins left of out 18 :p hehe

I meant Motlop as an example as to the type of player we are crap against. I was comparing Wells to a motlop type.

Ah ok I'm with ya :p Not sure if Wells would play that role though given they already have Campbell and Thomas and Edwards to come into the side? I wouldn't mind giving Darcy the role on a Motlop type in the future. He has terrific pace and would be able to hurt them the other way.

I reckon Dempsey will play the sweeping role off half back as he gains more confidence and fitness (aka Nick Stevens minus the pot belly). In the last quarter last week we looked to get the ball into his hands at every opportunity. Lets just hope he plays all games this year and continues his development.

Shame we aren't playing Port again this year...would love to have a go at a few of their boys.

Discussion about Wells is interesting. I didn't see the Hawks-North game, but if you believe some of the opinions of Wells that day he's out of form or lazy or both. A lot of North supporters are not happy with his attitude, so our success might also depend on which Daniel Wells turns up.

The other thing about North I got was that Harvey is out of form (some suspect he's carrying an injury) and that they are moving very slowly compared to last year.

I would have expected Firrito to go to Lucas or McPhee, with Gibson to go to Lloyd. Firrito was lauded for his defence last year, and Gibson (in spite of having 4 (?) kicked on him last week) was hailed for his work. I reckon he's the Kangas' best defender, so it stands to reason they'd play him on Lloyd.

Edwards is quick and agile, and I reckon Slattery would be up to defending against him. Slattery has worked really hard last two rounds, and seems to have a bit of a connection with Myers as well. Regardless, I think slattery would try his guts out against a bloke like Edwards. Our other defenders might be too tall to handle Edwards' agility.

That said, he could also go to Corey Jones, though I like the idea of someone a bit bigger against Jones who takes a strong mark. Maybe Pears who shows a bit of dash, and will need to if Jones leads.

Hansen could go forward or back. Forward, I reckon Fletcher goes to him, or Ryder if he plays back. Vice versa if Hale plays.

That leaves Lower or Riggio if he plays, possibly for Myers.

If Petrie plays and goes forward we might have issues. Hille might have to follow him into defence.:confused::thumbsdown:

I'd like to see Hocking tag Harvey out of the game, though as has been suggested to me before, that could distract Hocking from the task of getting the ball out. Bearing in mind that McVeigh and Watson will be on I wouldn't be so concerned, though I would expect one of either of those guys (if not both) to cop a hard tag from maybe from Harris or Rawlings.

Glad I'm not the guy with the magnetic board.

...and this was a training report on the North board as well.

Went off to training today. Decent crowd of about 50+, most of them children.

Boys just did skill work and goal kicking. Lots of absentees today.

Goal kicking guys were Hamish, Flash, Thomas, McMahon, Lower, Edwards, Jo. Smith, Watt

None of these blokes trained but must've been in the gym

Boomer
Simmo
Hansen
Rawlings
Harding
Spud
Power
Ziebell
Pratt
Petrie (and seen Dish)
Hale (seen him and did an interview)
Swallow (seen him)

Bad news is Wellsy still can't walk freely. You can see that the hip is playing it's part. Didn't do no training or gym work today.

Otherwise, that's all the news.

Is Edwards going to play this week or is he still serving his club suspension?

Just realised some small bit of irony which might work in our favour this week. In Round 4, 2008 we were 2-1 after being Calrton in an exciting game and leading the Bulldogs at 3/4 time before McVeign and Lonergan went off with hamstring injuries, ending our chances of winning and starting the 9 game losing streak.

Well in 2009 the Carlton result was the same, we are 2-1 and guess who is not injured, but COMING BACK from injury this week. :D:D

Haha I hope not! We are due some luck with injuries for a change.

Are many people going to this? I'm missing unfotunately (combo of Greek Easter, family gathering and away game).

should be an interesting match

Just thought I would weigh in on some of the match up talk u have been having.

ghostdog, Firrito has been playing in the middle this year and will not be doing a job in defence.

We have a very inexperienced back line and Thompson and Hansen will have the big jobs. Thompson has been going ok until roughead gave him a bit of a touch up last week and he will get the job on Lloyd. Hansen has been outstanding this year and is coming on in a big way. He will get the job on Lucas and he did a good job on him in the nab challenge game. Petrie can do a job as a loose man or if Ryder or Hille gets up there. Gibson may get Lloyd depends on if he stays close to goal.

Our forwardline will line up like this I reckon:

Wells Petrie/Smith Jones
Thomas Hale Campbell

If we put Goldstein (2nd ruckman) in for Smith this allows Petrie to stay at CHF. If Goldy doesn't play that means Hale and Petrie have to do some ruckwork so it messes our structure a bit. Wells will play forward like he has in the first 3 games as a lead up target (body not allowing him to play midfield at the moment). Edwards doesn't come back til next week.

The midfield match ups are anyones guess. Last time we played Rawlings went to Stanton but Rawlings has not been doing hard tags for a long time now and he's been playing a bit in defence. Will be interesting to see who gets on top in the clearances. Swallow has been very good and 2nd in the AFL for clearances and Watson also very good in that area obviously. We can win the ball out of the middle but our problem is lack of quality outside players with good skill. Especially with Harvey and Wells sitting in the forward line. Would love to see Rawlings tag Lovett but Laidley doesn't use him as a tagger anymore for some ****ed up reason. Leigh Harding has been starring in there this year so that might be a surprise if u haven't watched us this year.

McIntosh v Hille should be a good battle because it looks like the big mac is back to his 2007 AA form before he got injured. They are similar in that their tap work is not elite but around the grounds they are.

Hale copped a pretty bad concussion on the weekend so he will be a big loss if he doesn't come up. Wells is carrying a hip injury and apparently its gotten worse and he is unlikely to play. Harding had a knee scare but should be ok to play. Firrito, Ziebell, Hansen not certainties to play.

I reckon u guys will get up because we have a very poor game plan and a forward structure that simply doesnt work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

should be an interesting match

Just thought I would weigh in on some of the match up talk u have been having.

ghostdog, Firrito has been playing in the middle this year and will not be doing a job in defence.

We have a very inexperienced back line and Thompson and Hansen will have the big jobs. Thompson has been going ok until roughead gave him a bit of a touch up last week and he will get the job on Lloyd. Hansen has been outstanding this year and is coming on in a big way. He will get the job on Lucas and he did a good job on him in the nab challenge game. Petrie can do a job as a loose man or if Ryder or Hille gets up there. Gibson may get Lloyd depends on if he stays close to goal.

Our forwardline will line up like this I reckon:

Wells Petrie/Smith Jones
Thomas Hale Campbell

If we put Goldstein (2nd ruckman) in for Smith this allows Petrie to stay at CHF. If Goldy doesn't play that means Hale and Petrie have to do some ruckwork so it messes our structure a bit. Wells will play forward like he has in the first 3 games as a lead up target (body not allowing him to play midfield at the moment). Edwards doesn't come back til next week.

The midfield match ups are anyones guess. Last time we played Rawlings went to Stanton but Rawlings has not been doing hard tags for a long time now and he's been playing a bit in defence. Will be interesting to see who gets on top in the clearances. Swallow has been very good and 2nd in the AFL for clearances and Watson also very good in that area obviously. We can win the ball out of the middle but our problem is lack of quality outside players with good skill. Especially with Harvey and Wells sitting in the forward line. Would love to see Rawlings tag Lovett but Laidley doesn't use him as a tagger anymore for some ****ed up reason. Leigh Harding has been starring in there this year so that might be a surprise if u haven't watched us this year.

McIntosh v Hille should be a good battle because it looks like the big mac is back to his 2007 AA form before he got injured. They are similar in that their tap work is not elite but around the grounds they are.

Hale copped a pretty bad concussion on the weekend so he will be a big loss if he doesn't come up. Wells is carrying a hip injury and apparently its gotten worse and he is unlikely to play. Harding had a knee scare but should be ok to play. Firrito, Ziebell, Hansen not certainties to play.

I reckon u guys will get up because we have a very poor game plan and a forward structure that simply doesnt work.

Always glad to hear the comments of opposition supporters, adds to the build up and makes the discussions more accurate :)

Will be interesting to see what happens in Hansen doesn't come up. Will that mean that Gibson goes back onto one of Lucas/Lloyd? Has Wells been effective up forward? I can imagine he would burn a lot of players on the lead and is a beautiful kick.

I agree with you that Hille v McIntosh is the key battle. We were smashed in the clearances last week, but with McVeigh back in and Hocking not tagging a Judd (no disrespect to Harvey et al but they are not in the same league) I think we will improve here. If Hille gets first use it could be decisive.

Who are you most worried about from our side?

Always glad to hear the comments of opposition supporters, adds to the build up and makes the discussions more accurate :)

Will be interesting to see what happens in Hansen doesn't come up. Will that mean that Gibson goes back onto one of Lucas/Lloyd?
If Hansen can't play then yeah we will have to ask Firrito or Gibson to battle out of their weight division again. Hopefully he is ok it just sounds like hes pulled up fairly sore from this grab - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2zVPu3mvUo

Has Wells been effective up forward? I can imagine he would burn a lot of players on the lead and is a beautiful kick.
Has been ok providing a hit up target around the HF line on the lead but the next kick is where we break down. It is a bit of robbing Peter to pay Paul kind of stuff and we are missing Edwards in that role.

I agree with you that Hille v McIntosh is the key battle. We were smashed in the clearances last week, but with McVeigh back in and Hocking not tagging a Judd (no disrespect to Harvey et al but they are not in the same league) I think we will improve here. If Hille gets first use it could be decisive.

Yea I was just thinking that if we get on top Hille will have to be accountable and vice versa with Mcintosh. We are going well in the clearances at the moment but the teams are killing us on rebound.

Who are you most worried about from our side?

im not really worried about any personnel more the game styles. I'm noticing that there is a worrying pattern developing. In all of our games so far (even Melbourne) have been flooding our forwardline knowing that we are just going to bomb it long. Then it has been very easy for them to rebound from defence to attack with a string of uncontested possesions thru some kind of zone I think we are attempting. U guys would be particularly good at this with dempsey and co.

I just remember that Daniher did a good job on Hale in the nab challenge game so pencil in that match up if Hale gets up to play.

If Hansen can't play then yeah we will have to ask Firrito or Gibson to battle out of their weight division again. Hopefully he is ok it just sounds like hes pulled up fairly sore from this grab -

I've got a lot of time for Gibson. I think that he is a massivley underated player. He could be a great 3rd defender if Hansen comes on. I recall him doing a decent job on Lloyd a few years back.

It's a bit hard watching Hansen do so well given that it was a toss up between him and Gumbleton and Gumby has barely been on the park.

Has been ok providing a hit up target around the HF line on the lead but the next kick is where we break down. It is a bit of robbing Peter to pay Paul kind of stuff and we are missing Edwards in that role.

I'm surprised that Petrie is still playing deep forward. I have watched him a bit this season (for Supercoach) and he looks to be lumbering a bit. I guess once Edwards comes in he will strengthen the forward line. The poor form of Jones is killling you though I feel.

Yea I was just thinking that if we get on top Hille will have to be accountable and vice versa with Mcintosh. We are going well in the clearances at the moment but the teams are killing us on rebound..

I guess that will play into our hands in the trend continues. Our run off half back has been our strength so far this year. I guess if we get more clearances it could really tip the balance in our favour.

im not really worried about any personnel more the game styles. I'm noticing that there is a worrying pattern developing. In all of our games so far (even Melbourne) have been flooding our forwardline knowing that we are just going to bomb it long. Then it has been very easy for them to rebound from defence to attack with a string of uncontested possesions thru some kind of zone I think we are attempting. U guys would be particularly good at this with dempsey and co.

Yeah I agree with you there. It appears that without a couple of strong lead up forwards, you are playing an mid 90's brand of football. Unfortunately you don't have a Wayne Carey who can mark anything and teams are more adept at putting numbers behind the play.

I guess my concern is that you may beat us in the contested ball and block a lot of our run. I'm really please McVeigh is back and would think he may slip under the radar as Watson and Lovett will probably get the heavy tags.

I just remember that Daniher did a good job on Hale in the nab challenge game so pencil in that match up if Hale gets up to play.

Thanks I don't remember hearing about this. I guess that will make it interesting if Hale doesn't play, as you may decide to go smaller up forward (assuming that Jones is dropped which many think will happen).

North had the wood over us when Sheeds was coach. Laidley could cut through Sheeds style in the last few years.

Since Knights we are 1-0 against them and I think we'll continue that trend.

I agree. I think North lack pace, and our style under Knights is more compatible to beating them, than under Sheedy.

Our confidence is up, we are going to have some good inclusions. This will potentially be the strongest Essendon line-up on paper since Knights has been coaching.

We are a better team than them, and we'll win.

After the 'best win in 5 years' as proclaimed by Lloyd, Essendon this week comes up against a side who is coming off a week where a new cult figure emerged amongst the football community. Lil Borris made headlines for the North Melbourne football club, the rooster, who goes head first for the prize, ultimately distracted North as they fell victim to a very determined Hawthorn outfit.

Essendon will have to have learned a very valuable lesson from their conquest of Carlton, Respect. If Essendon come out thinking they only have to show up to win. We will get thrashed. As we a well aware, North Melbourne have made a tradition of choosing us as the team to bounce back against, and this week will need to be one hell of a bounce back.

DEFENSE

What a sight it is to see Pears and Daniher our CHB and FB respectively. If Hale plays, expect Daniher to take him after Daniher was impressive on him in the practice match in Bendigo. Pears I would like to see take Petrie. I would like to personally see Dempsey play off Wells, Wells has been poor in providing 2nd efforts and having a presence in the contest, Dempsey would be a good match-up as his rebound will set up numerous forward thrusts and he should be able to limit Wells in the process. Slattery should be taking Thomas, with Myers and Fletcher to pick up the left overs.

I'll be taking a different approach with the opposition reviews, I'll be using screenshots to provide a visual on their gameplans.

The Kangas defensive strategy seems to revolve around blocking the middle passage.

vlcsnap-250120.png

vlcsnap-252909.png

Reports are Grima will debut in defense for North in the true FB position. Pratt and Firrito should also be playing back. Grima I suspect will line up on Ryder/Lucas with Firrito to go to Lloyd. Pratt I believe will start on Davey and Hopefully Davey burns him. Hille could have a field day in the forward line if McIntosh doesn't follow him down. North love to run back into the centre corridor and will try to have us lead to the pocket.

FORWARD

Last week saw a vintage Lloyd, regain touch, as he took contested mark after contested mark. Our very own Jack-Russel Davey was the barometer last week as his hard chasing and gut-busting run added 3-4 goals to our total. Lucas could be in for a return to form against a debutant by the name of Grima. Ryder could also be in for a big week as the 3rd tall, with no ideal match up for him, possibly Hansen, expect a lot of ball to be directed in his direction. Our small players could really take this game by the scruff of the neck, as most of North's small players are forwards. McPhee, also comes back into the mix this week and should have a field day as their is no suitable match up. He'll be in the votes.

North to be honest have a very bad forward setup, it gets loaded with talls and those talls don't work together by leading into each others space. They could probably put some of the blame on the midfield but I'll cover that aspect in the midfield section.

vlcsnap-277606.png
vlcsnap-275807.png
vlcsnap-275648.png

Petrie and Thomas were the leading goal kickers for North last week with 2 a piece. The worry for us this week will be getting exploited by their tall timber, and their Thomas and Wells types. They same to run to the same space, which has a silver-lining by allowing their smalls to run into space, but this was rarely used on the weekend and most likely wasn't a strategy rather poor communication skills. If North can sort out their Forwards leading patterns and the likes of Thomas and Wells can find the crumbs, they can really stretch our defense.

MIDFIELD

The bombers won the game last week by their gut busting running through the centre corridor. The likes of Winderlich, Lovett and Stanton had the times of their lives with an unguarded corridor to run straight down, and finished off by delivering beautiful passes onto Lloyd, Ryder and Lucas' chest. Watson had a quiet start again, but is very good to see him come back in to the game as it goes on. Lovett is also putting in the 4 quarter efforts and this is a big factor as to why we are a much improved team. Now, for the best news since ILW was perma-banned, McVeigh and Lonergan should be welcomed back into the midfield to help out Watson and Hocking extract the ball to our runners. Expect a dominant display from Winderlich, Lovett and Stanton as they are fed the ball more regularly. Expect Hocking to go to Harvey, if not possibly Harding.

Now, for North, here is where I think they will lose this game. Have a look at these screen shots...

vlcsnap-297167.png
vlcsnap-296427.png

They Don't use the centre corridor, or even still don't make an effort to, they stand flat footed on the boundary line yelling "kick it to me". This kills their forward thrusts as it forces the forwards to lead to the boundary line, then even still they are leading into each others paths. Add to this that they don't defend the centre well, they will get carved up. Expect Rawlings to take McVeigh or Stanton, Harvey to run forward after the centre bounce, he has a suspected injury, and if it is indeed the case, then they may try and nurse him up forward. Adam Simpson may have a big week aswell, provided that he can keep his head.

FINAL THOUGHTS

North have been left devastated by the preceding week, with reports that they still haven't come to terms with the week. If Essendon can keep chipping away at North's confidence and attack the centre corridor, then expect a result not to dissimilar to last year.

"expert tip" Bombers by 23.

good effort but a lot of that is inaccurate

i would love to see your match up of myers or fletcher on matty campbell

Essendon take the game on.

Some weeks it will work, some weeks it won't.

North are a middle of the road team who may still be in finals contention this season.

We can't take much out of what North have shown this year because the teams they have played will probably finish last and top 4.

North Melbourne go wide because they were playing Hawthron, you know, cluster, zoning?

We don't play that game plan and the corridor should be more open for them this week than it was against Hawthorn.

I think Dempsey, Lovett, Davey and Winderlich do however pose a big problem for North and if those guys are on, we should be in good shape!

good effort but a lot of that is inaccurate

i would love to see your match up of myers or fletcher on matty campbell

So would I. Campbell's a good kid, but that would be a monstering.

Personally:

Daniher -> Smith
Pears -> Hale/whoever replaces Hale up forward if he's out (Petrie?)
Slattery -> Harvey
Dempsey -> Campbell
Quinn -> Thomas
Hocking -> Wells
Fletch to fill the hole.

Current TAB odds -

North Melbourne $1.60
Essendon $2.20

Would love to go in underdogs here - really doesn't faze me... two people out of like 60 picked us in the media last week and that's when we usually play our best football...

yeah its much better if we're underdogs we play like shit when we're favourites from memory. less pressure now but lets wait for the teams

After the 'best win in 5 years' as proclaimed by Lloyd, Essendon this week comes up against a side who is coming off a week where a new cult figure emerged amongst the football community. Lil Borris made headlines for the North Melbourne football club, the rooster, who goes head first for the prize, ultimately distracted North as they fell victim to a very determined Hawthorn outfit.

Essendon will have to have learned a very valuable lesson from their conquest of Carlton, Respect. If Essendon come out thinking they only have to show up to win. We will get thrashed. As we a well aware, North Melbourne have made a tradition of choosing us as the team to bounce back against, and this week will need to be one hell of a bounce back.

DEFENSE

What a sight it is to see Pears and Daniher our CHB and FB respectively. If Hale plays, expect Daniher to take him after Daniher was impressive on him in the practice match in Bendigo. Pears I would like to see take Petrie. I would like to personally see Dempsey play off Wells, Wells has been poor in providing 2nd efforts and having a presence in the contest, Dempsey would be a good match-up as his rebound will set up numerous forward thrusts and he should be able to limit Wells in the process. Slattery should be taking Thomas, with Myers and Fletcher to pick up the left overs.

I'll be taking a different approach with the opposition reviews, I'll be using screenshots to provide a visual on their gameplans.

The Kangas defensive strategy seems to revolve around blocking the middle passage.

vlcsnap-250120.png

vlcsnap-252909.png

Reports are Grima will debut in defense for North in the true FB position. Pratt and Firrito should also be playing back. Grima I suspect will line up on Ryder/Lucas with Firrito to go to Lloyd. Pratt I believe will start on Davey and Hopefully Davey burns him. Hille could have a field day in the forward line if McIntosh doesn't follow him down. North love to run back into the centre corridor and will try to have us lead to the pocket.

FORWARD

Last week saw a vintage Lloyd, regain touch, as he took contested mark after contested mark. Our very own Jack-Russel Davey was the barometer last week as his hard chasing and gut-busting run added 3-4 goals to our total. Lucas could be in for a return to form against a debutant by the name of Grima. Ryder could also be in for a big week as the 3rd tall, with no ideal match up for him, possibly Hansen, expect a lot of ball to be directed in his direction. Our small players could really take this game by the scruff of the neck, as most of North's small players are forwards. McPhee, also comes back into the mix this week and should have a field day as their is no suitable match up. He'll be in the votes.

North to be honest have a very bad forward setup, it gets loaded with talls and those talls don't work together by leading into each others space. They could probably put some of the blame on the midfield but I'll cover that aspect in the midfield section.

vlcsnap-277606.png
vlcsnap-275807.png
vlcsnap-275648.png

Petrie and Thomas were the leading goal kickers for North last week with 2 a piece. The worry for us this week will be getting exploited by their tall timber, and their Thomas and Wells types. They same to run to the same space, which has a silver-lining by allowing their smalls to run into space, but this was rarely used on the weekend and most likely wasn't a strategy rather poor communication skills. If North can sort out their Forwards leading patterns and the likes of Thomas and Wells can find the crumbs, they can really stretch our defense.

MIDFIELD

The bombers won the game last week by their gut busting running through the centre corridor. The likes of Winderlich, Lovett and Stanton had the times of their lives with an unguarded corridor to run straight down, and finished off by delivering beautiful passes onto Lloyd, Ryder and Lucas' chest. Watson had a quiet start again, but is very good to see him come back in to the game as it goes on. Lovett is also putting in the 4 quarter efforts and this is a big factor as to why we are a much improved team. Now, for the best news since ILW was perma-banned, McVeigh and Lonergan should be welcomed back into the midfield to help out Watson and Hocking extract the ball to our runners. Expect a dominant display from Winderlich, Lovett and Stanton as they are fed the ball more regularly. Expect Hocking to go to Harvey, if not possibly Harding.

Now, for North, here is where I think they will lose this game. Have a look at these screen shots...

vlcsnap-297167.png
vlcsnap-296427.png

They Don't use the centre corridor, or even still don't make an effort to, they stand flat footed on the boundary line yelling "kick it to me". This kills their forward thrusts as it forces the forwards to lead to the boundary line, then even still they are leading into each others paths. Add to this that they don't defend the centre well, they will get carved up. Expect Rawlings to take McVeigh or Stanton, Harvey to run forward after the centre bounce, he has a suspected injury, and if it is indeed the case, then they may try and nurse him up forward. Adam Simpson may have a big week aswell, provided that he can keep his head.

FINAL THOUGHTS

North have been left devastated by the preceding week, with reports that they still haven't come to terms with the week. If Essendon can keep chipping away at North's confidence and attack the centre corridor, then expect a result not to dissimilar to last year.

"expert tip" Bombers by 23.

Didn't know Matthew Knights posted here

Originally Posted by ___aria___
Firrito has been playing in the middle this year and will not be doing a job in defence.

I wouldn't be surprised if Firrito goes back to defence, especially given the two losses. He was very good last year I thought. Didn't he make the side to play Ireland as a defender? If Hansen goes back with Firrito and Gibson, then the NM defence is looking much better IMO. I don't know much about Thompson, except that he's tall, which I suppose releases Firrito to go to midfield... I'm presuming it's not the same Thompson from Adelaide. Gibson, I've just read, played midfield during the NAB Cup too, so Laidley has a couple of options there. We'd be looking to Alwyn, Skippy, Stanton, McVeigh and Lovett to have a go themselves more with three tall defenders on Lloyd, Lucas and McPhee. (Maybe there's a case there for Jetta or Quinn?)

Petrie can do a job as a loose man or if Ryder or Hille gets up there. Gibson may get Lloyd depends on if he stays close to goal.

Is Petrie even going to make it on the park?

I reckon Lloyd might lead to the fifty more this week. He found touch last week kicking five goals, whereas Lucas is yet to kick more than 2(?) I think. On the other hand, that could be a case for Lucas to go looking for it. I reckon Gibson should stay with Lloyd regardless. To restrict Buddy to four is pretty good, and if Gibson is down on himself about that he may play better this week. With Lloyd playing as well as he did against Carlton of course our boys will look to Lloyd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 4 - North Melbourne Vs Essendon (Sunday @ ES)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back