Round 4- Review/Rant megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Certainly not a pretty game but considering Boyd and Griffen were non factors in game and there were a lot of things to like about the young guys tonight in DJ, Wallis, Dahl.

Dj and Sherman's pace and crumbing was good and vesper did ok down back, just has to learn to defend a bit better as Bate got goals he shouldn't have through Vesper being in wrong spot.

Hargrave and Wood were a little better than previous weeks.

Gia is badly out of form, worst I can remember.

Roughead as defender, no, against any other side this would have been exploited.

Gia MUST go. His legs looked a bit like jelly today, I think age has caught up with him. Every time he bent over to pick up the ball his legs just collapsed beneath him and dropped like a sack of ****.

I think Cordy and Roughy had a wonderful game. Impressed with Dahl, always a star, Sherman was good. Breakout game for Wallis perhaps? He played well.

Murph held our munted backline together well. Cooney impressed. It's a shame he's lost all his speed now though.

Boyd and Griff nowhere to be seen.

Grant needs to pack on some weight. He gets tossed around like a ragdoll. Higgins once again needs to step up. Instead of shifting him around every week I think he's best up at CHF. Should put DJ up there as well and we might be onto something...

DJ played well. Hopefully enough to cement his spot for next week.

Rest of the team was average/poor. Very lucky to get this win I think, it wasn't because we were good but Melbourne were absolutely ****.

I thought Jones was tremendous. People forget hes 21, less then 30 games into his career, and has 3 guys hanging off him all the time.

Also, Griff was heavily tagged, so wasnt to stressed about his limited impact.

Cheers guys, hard contest.

For the goods, Dalhaus was immense, Coon good and Grant dangerous.

For the bads...Murphy and Hargrave getting sucked in by Dunn. Doesn't deserve the respect tbh, he needs to get a kick.

For the bads...Murphy and Hargrave getting sucked in by Dunn. Doesn't deserve the respect tbh, he needs to get a kick.

Cheers pal.

I hope Melbourne can pull themselves out of their current plight quickly.

Thxs mate. Great to get an oppositions pov.

Gia is and has been so far off the pace that it bordering on disgraceful. He looks slow, plays for the easy ball, plays from behind and my pateince with the match committee is been tested.

Can ayone tell me what they do when they review a game? Eat popcorn and watch what? Surley the coach who is so big on effort, winning the hard ball and contested footy can see Gia lacks effort.

Drop him
simple prefer a DJ type who wants it.

I can't get over how ineffective Cross has been. His ground level work is undone by his shocking disposal.

Happy to have a win feel pretty flat though as it wasn't pretty at all. At least they weathered the storm when Melbourne came at them a few times was good to see, but a big part of that was also Melbourne butchering the ball, god they are going to have an even longer year than us. Still we had out 4 best back talls out not many teams will win with those players missing.

Really loved the game of Dahl, how good is he an absolute superstar. Also thumbs up to Murph showed poise all game, Cooney looked dangerous again, and i like that djukerra is getting reward for effort we need his run.

I am not going to bag them because they have been club stalwarts but i think Gia and Cross will struggle after this year, their lack of pace is getting exposed. Cross' disposal was lucky not to hurt us today.

Anyway at least we got a win at last, hopefully can continue it on next week v GWS

All week had to listen to excuses for Collingwood losses, their injuries being quoted as the main problem, 3 or 4 backmen out and a couple mids/fwds, compare their problems to ours last season and this, just shows media bias.

gday

good win, but lets keep it in perspective . we only beat melbourne.

How biased was eddie Mguire on Fox tonight ! Could have sworn he was Melbourne's President ! FFS ! Disgraceful ! He acted like a tosser all game
actually!

Grant - one of his better games. Still a bit soft IMO

Murphy - Great Game as usual - Saved our arse on many occasions

Wallis - started a bit slow, but got better as the contest went on

Cross - tried hard - Horrible mistake dropping the mark just on half time that resulted in a goal ! Not much chance of being in our next premiership tilt

Boyd - didnt notice him much today !

Higgins - had a crack at least tonight ! Maybe on notice from Macca being the sub?

Vezpremi - not that impressed, but worth perusing for now

Wood - i thought he was ok tonight. worth persevering

Sherman - didnt notice him much, but maybe still a bit rusty.

Gia - not worth persuing sadly...

Griffen - must have been heavily tagged, but did well when he had his chances.

Cooney - worked his arse off tonight. great game

Jones - i think this guy will make it !

Addison - started poorly, but got better as the game went on

Roughead - good, but still needs to improve his 2nd efforts and get a bit tougher instead of being a soft **** !

Hargrave - not a good game. turnovers killed him

Minson - did well

Djekerra - awesome game

Dahlhaus - superstar - his 2nd efforts, his tackeling ! He is a real footballer

Picken - did his job well !

Austin - looked like a deer with the headlights on ! Looked out of his depth on many occasions, but give him a go this year.

Cordy - i thought he showed signs of improvement !

In summary: Keep playing the whole list - get games into the youngsters and have a big development year as i have already stated !

Rant ....where were the bulldog supporters...I know it was an away game yet melbourne outnumbered us by 3 to 1 at least.

We wont last in this competition if thats the best we can do.

Gia..like all players your time has come, especially on the large ground.

Grant you have to want the ball and work harder, demand it, lead up and present, too often waiting for the easy ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it was a good game from the boys,
but my venting is for the supporters at the game.

Was sitting at the Bulldogs cheer squad area with my friend, and all we hear is how shit our players are, how they are a spud etc.

few people were insulting Grant and then all of a sudden they were praising him for kicking a goal.
Bunch of bandwagon armchair supporters that don't know anything.
Next time i'm at the footy, i'm never sitting any where close to our supporter base.

Ruined the night for me.

Good signs for the boys, let's get another win on the board next week and give Pies a good crack.

Was sitting at the Bulldogs cheer squad area with my friend, and all we hear is how shit our players are, how they are a spud etc.

few people were insulting Grant and then all of a sudden they were praising him for kicking a goal.
Next time i'm at the footy, i'm never sitting any where close to our supporter base.

Ruined the night for me.

I was near the cheer squad today and have a reserved seat near them at Etihad. I know a lot of them do a lot for the club which I appreciate, but most of them hardly make any noise, their chants are boring and only the first couple of rows actually seem to cheer. And as you said a few them are extremely negative and love nothing more than whinging or bagging certain players.

good on the cheersquad, they show up and do what they do in small numbers. Generally though we have an ordinary bunch of supporters, not funny, not vocal, not present.

Agree with LondonBulldog on the crowd. In my vicinity, there was 2 bulldog supporters, and a shitload of Melbourne supporters. They were loud too, got right into it. When we got a goal or something, I could only hear me, and boos :p

Dahl - Very good again. I love how he gets up straight away, even after big hits.
Boyd - Very quiet game for the captain. Did a few good things.
Griff - Heavily, heavily tagged by Mckenzie. Deserved a lot of missed free kicks for holding the man at stoppages.
DJ - Very impressive
Cross - I really liked his game, and his disposal didn't concern me too much. Still as tough as nails.
Addison - Had me tearing my hair out at the start, but about halfway through the game did a full 180 degree turn, and was great. Influenced some contests very well.
Murphy - Our best afield.
Cooney - Very good.
Roughead - Please never play in defense again. You could tell he wasn't enjoying it, but when he was moved forward he influenced the game well.
Cordy - Didn't get a lot of it, didn't clunk marks he could have, but he did what he could when he was in that position. Used the ball to our advantage a lot. Happy with his game.
Minson - Good.
Jones - I loved his game. Started off slowly, was unwilling to chase, but he turned it around and played very well.
Wallis - Was our best inside mid. Played very well, and should be in the team next week.
Vez - He was alright.
Picken - Didn't notice him a lot, but I didn't notice Moloney much either.
Grant - Still knocked off the ball too easily, but he played well. Kicked a couple, chased a couple of times. Still needs to work on his work rate though.
Gia - Im usually a fan of his, and I defend him a lot, but he was just woeful. Worst on ground for me, even though he kicked 2. Keep. Your. Feet.

Edit: Forgot to mention Higgins, of the people I wanted to mention. Good on him, he came on and asserted himself. Proud of him.

Edit #2: Umpiring consistency is non existent. Some ridiculous calls for both sides.
The worst being the free kick that Wallis got for a push in the back, to kick that final goal.

Rant ....where were the bulldog supporters...I know it was an away game yet melbourne outnumbered us by 3 to 1 at least.

Bad!! Seriously its not that hard to go to a footy game on a sunday. Dismal display of support. Put some god damn effort in and turn up ffs. When they got in front i thought the crowd was giving them a decent advantage and that we wouldnt come back. Luckily their skills are a lot worse than ours.

Those that bag our disposal, just be thankful its not as bad as Melbourne's. They were horrid even without any pressure.

DJ was fantastic, hard at the ball, quick and does 1%'ers. Lots of shepperds... great work. He and Sherman make our forward line so much better and dangerous. Gia should be the sub next week.

Happy with Vespremi, he is still new to the position. He looked spent in the last though (as did many others), If he and Murphy can work well together they will be a huge plus. Lynden Dunn is a nobody, bagging Murphy for 1 mistake but then Addision smashes him in every one on one. I can't believe players like that dont know how stupid they look.
Murphy's class really stood out, he's levels above anyone from both teams.

Austin i hardly noticed, which is a good thing. As long as he isn't making mistakes and costing goals, he's doing his job.

Roughead playing on Clarke at Full Back does my head in, but no other choice guess.

When Grant plays out of the goal square he looks interested. Should keep him there

Ruined the night for me.

Good signs for the boys, let's get another win on the board next week and give Pies a good crack.

Well it must be a different cheer squad that clapped off the team after last weeks shit effort. One of the worst cheer squads in the league, absolute muppets

We won, but this is Melbourne who have remained steadily pathetic for half a decade.

Dahl, Cooney, Murphy were all good. Hargrave was solid (no pressure from Melbourne, though).

Cross at least won a few contests. I'll be amazed if anyone can find a positive in Gia's game (or any this year). We can't improve as a side with a spineless "leader" like him. Play him in the midfield where he's under the pack and can't essentially assist the opposition, or not at all. Absolute liability in open play or a one-on-one.

God, but some times I wonder if some posters on this site actually watch the games in total, or at all. It seems at times some must just sit waiting to find instances that could be used to support their personal biases. Others thank the Lord actually watch the game and come up with very reasoned views. My one wish however is that more posters would go down on a regular basis and watch Williamstown actually play. Some of the recommended promotions at times leave me gasping, and wondering have these people ever seen these guys play football.
To all the sensible posters, well done, you are fun and informative to read. To the others...just watch the games without your blinkers...please.

Something else I noticed tonight, why do we always kick long to a contest where we are outnumbered. Sometimes a couple of players work hard out of an area to create space for someone to lead into, only for someone to slowly walk into it and clog it up again.

We never lead if there are 1 on 1's all around the ground, just stand there waiting for a long bomb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back