Round 4- Review/Rant megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Austin was fantastic in the one-on-ones I thought, can't remember him being beaten at all. Here's hoping Wallis kicks on from that game, by far his best for the Club.

On a negative note, I was disgusted by the lack of Doggies fans at the game. Bunch of bandwagoners alot of our 'supporters' are.

Surprised Neeld tagged Boyd, would of thought Cooney/Dahl/Murphy would have been much better choices with the hard tag.

Most pleasing thing for me was Mitch's game.

He did Bartram tried to go with Dahlhaus, just that he murdered him, although he was able to take Boyd and Griff out of the game this seems his main problem as Melbourne are too busy worrying about opposition and are left with noone to win he ball, they had 3 tagging roles as well as Dunn trying to get to Murphy in our backline, that is far too negative a mindset.

Melbourne supporters were giving Jack Watts hell all game. Even when he doesn't do anything wrong or had no chance of winning the ball he copped it big time. When i hear this it makes me smile like we have already won the game. Can we please not do this to our own and make other supporters happy.

Fair enough to be angry at mistakes but to target the same player no matter what they do is just shit.

I only have a home game membership so I went to today's game with a friend of mine who is a
Melbourne member so I borrowed his father to get in. Sitting next to ALL Melbourne fans in and being the only one in doggie colors I behaved myself. But to my disappointment I was asked to leave at the start of the final quarter due to ppl apparently complaining about me and I was made to leave due to using someone's membership. Bloody sore losers. Didn't seem to mind for the first 3 quarters.

Anyways was glad we got the win. Impressed with dalh, Jones, Dj and wallis.

Something else I noticed tonight, why do we always kick long to a contest where we are outnumbered. Sometimes a couple of players work hard out of an area to create space for someone to lead into, only for someone to slowly walk into it and clog it up again.

We never lead if there are 1 on 1's all around the ground, just stand there waiting for a long bomb.

This.

It's so frustrating when we just bomb it and hope for the best. We keep possesion in the back half, let the opponents get in position, then kick to a contest. Happened a few times tonight. I reckon it's down to 2 things.
1. The players up the ground making space and leading and as Igloo said don't just stand there.
2. When there is an option on the defenders need to pull the trigger.

Well done Dal, Coon, Murph. Roughy did a pretty good job. Don't think he would've played in defence much before.

Good to get a win but if we play like that against a team that isn't as desperaely bad as Melbourne we'll get killed.

Most of our players just don't work hard enough to create leads and this has been one of our problems for a few years now. Team is definitely not up to AFL standard of fitness levels either, this is costing us.

I only have a home game membership so I went to today's game with a friend of mine who is a
Melbourne member so I borrowed his father to get in. Sitting next to ALL Melbourne fans in and being the only one in doggie colors I behaved myself. But to my disappointment I was asked to leave at the start of the final quarter due to ppl apparently complaining about me and I was made to leave due to using someone's membership. Bloody sore losers. Didn't seem to mind for the first 3 quarters.

Anyways was glad we got the win. Impressed with dalh, Jones, Dj and wallis.

What a bunch of sooks.

One final thing that annoyed me, which didn't actually happen in the game. I was sitting in the Olympic stand on level 1 (m54), and in the 15 or so rows in front of me there was no one sitting there.
Whenever people tried to sit there (obviously GA ticketed people, who saw a big gap) the ground staff moved them on. As soon as the game started, people sat there and no one seemed to give a damn. I even noticed a couple of people who sat there before, and were moved on, come back and sit there.

Does anyone know why this happened? I was really confused about it.

Firstly and I guess most importantly it is good to have the win. There seems to be a sense of wellbeing after a win that allows you to confront the Monday office water cooler with some confidence. Allowing Melbourne to get within a point had me nearly going postal but there is something to be said for rallying as we did. I also felt like we were the better team all night with the exception of Melbournes frontline.

Dahlhouse is irrepressible and plays football the same way Leyton Hewitt plays tennis, he is fast becoming the clubs talisman. I thought Minson was really good, unlike some, I thought Griffin played well, showing his class, got caught a bit though. Cooney was great, I liked Shermans game, and thought Hargreave played okay. Like many on here I thought Wood showed some form, and was happy with Vez, DJ, and of course Murphy. Addison, my personal whipping boy played well, although a bit of that was playing for a couple of important free kicks.

My general criticism with this team is the structures and style. Contesting, contesting, contesting worked OKAY against Melbourne but again we almost seem to focus on nothing else, forgetting aspects like transitioning or leading or spreading. Anyway thank goodness they won, imagine the pall over our club if they had lost this game, especially with the way Melbourne are playing.

I thought we played alright considering the poor back line we had. Roughead shouldn't be played in the back line ever again as others said, didn't seem comfortable at all. Hopefully it will even out a lot better for the short term when Lake and Markovic return to the side.
Cooney was great, his best game for the year for sure. Had far more stamina this week compared to previous weeks and looked damaging throughout the game.
Wallis was good, doubted him in the past but played well today, would still rather Liberatore though.
Murphy was great today, seemed to be composed the most down back and showed why he's an All Australian player.
Austin was alright. He was quiet, but hard to judge a player on his first game.
Liked Sherman and DJ back in the side, they supplied some good running.
Grant/Gia no good today.
Would like to see Wood play on the wing, I think he would do alright with his pace.
Dahlhaus, Picken, Boyd - keep doing what you're doing.

One final thing that annoyed me, which didn't actually happen in the game. I was sitting in the Olympic stand on level 1 (m54), and in the 15 or so rows in front of me there was no one sitting there.
Whenever people tried to sit there (obviously GA ticketed people, who saw a big gap) the ground staff moved them on. As soon as the game started, people sat there and no one seemed to give a damn. I even noticed a couple of people who sat there before, and were moved on, come back and sit there.

Does anyone know why this happened? I was really confused about it.
MCG are trying to be like Etihad, though they don't have allocated seating yet, they like to think they have it and force people away.

Crowd was crap according to some Posters. Good! I hate the twilight game slot and it should be scrapped. It is the only game time I refuse to go to. I am showing my disgust by refusing to go. It's the only way I can actually protest against this stupid time. AFL will probably point to the clubs saying that don't have big supporter base but we know the truth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to get a win. But the same problems we have were still there. We only got away with them because we played such a poor opponent. Seriously why does Jones always have three people on him? I don't understand. Why do we always go backwards? Why can't Gia not fall over? Why was Cordy always three steps behind his opponent?

Grant/Gia no good today.

I actually thought Grant played well yesterday. I must have been watching a different game. I thought his tackling, chasing and harassing were very good for the entire match. He seems to have improved this weaker aspect to his game under the new coach and has had a pretty good start to the year. Just my opinion.

... Why was Cordy always three steps behind his opponent?

He was 3 steps in front, most of the time but the ball sailed over his head. Either he doesn't yet know how to time leads or the players delivering can't measure their kicks. He was up against Rivers, Melbourne's best player on the day. Encouraging signs for Cordy.

I actually thought Grant played well yesterday. I must have been watching a different game. I thought his tackling, chasing and harassing were very good for the entire match. He seems to have improved this weaker aspect to his game under the new coach and has had a pretty good start to the year. Just my opinion.
I agree. Grant at least had some presence yesterday. I also noticed he continued to chase Melbourne players even if they had 3 metres on him. To say that Grant was no good yesterday is completely unqualified. He actually tried, tackled and presented. Kicked a goal. What else do we want from him?

Grant was great in the forward line I thought, good pressure, good leading, laid a couple of tackles and there were a couple that didn't stick as well but encouraging signs.

I think playing grant at FF even though he's a skinny bastard an playing jones at CHF would work better with Cordy and roughy resting/playing deep with grant. Jones style is suited to playing the more nick riewoldt role up the wings, running and presenting hard. When he learn to kick 50m hell be a weapon!

Also big kudos to coons, Dahl, djerkurra and murph.

Austin was fantastic in the one-on-ones I thought, can't remember him being beaten at all. Here's hoping Wallis kicks on from that game, by far his best for the Club.

On a negative note, I was disgusted by the lack of Doggies fans at the game. Bunch of bandwagoners alot of our 'supporters' are.

Bandwagoners? FFS we have won 1 premiership in almost 100 years. If we were bandwagoners we would have folded long ago.

Don't confuse a lack of fans at a very family unfriendly time slot with a lack of support from our diehard members.

I agree. He is not great physical specimen but he does try to the best of his ability and generally snags 1 or 2 a game.

Gia however also snags 1 or 2 a game but for the amount of times we go to him, if he was up to his own inflated opinion of himself he should get 6 a game. He never keeps his feet in a one on one and does not have the leg speed to run onto the loose ball. he must almost be out the door.

I agree as well, Grant has lifted his work rate immensely this season. He seems to be spending a fair bit of time further up the ground which I'm not too sure about considering our forward line issues. But his tackling and chasing are the best I've seen from him so hopefully he's realised what it will take for him to make it at this level

Just touching on what Dylan Burger said about Jones not kicking 50m, because this is probably the thing that annoyed me most out of the whole game.

Jones took a mark about 47m out, and should have gone back and had a shot. It wouldn't have mattered if he missed, or didn't quite make it, he just needs to start at least attempting them.
Instead, he tried to do a little pass to Grant (i think), missed him completely and the ball went out of bounds.
When you are playing as a CHF, you should at least try to take a shot from 50, if there are no better options (Grant wasn't, had a man right on him).
Even Dahl has kicked a couple of goals from outside 50 this year. I really want to see Jones try it for once It was the only chance he had from that range the whole game too.

He was 3 steps in front, most of the time but the ball sailed over his head. Either he doesn't yet know how to time leads or the players delivering can't measure their kicks. He was up against Rivers, Melbourne's best player on the day. Encouraging signs for Cordy.

Gee I reckon he played from behind way more than he played infront.
When he has gotten his hands on the ball in the last fortnight he has spilled it. Even last week against the saints he should have easily outmarked siposs given his height and dropped the pill three times in one on ones.

As you say rivers was the demons best player so Cordy's defensive game still needs work.

Cross & Veszpremi Disposal Efficiency this week 80%

Griffen 69%

Cooney 58%

Cross Disposal Efficiency first 4 rounds: 86,88,78,82 - AVERAGE 83.5%

The best DE is the team - with a higher average disposal than most

Perception.....ok, he is slow, but he always has been.Backs into packs for the saving mark every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back