Round 4 v Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

And seriously, Clarke didn't contribute a lot ? He was solid in defence, calm and accurate under pressure and set up two goals with his running and accurate passes.

Great post, just on that mention of Clarke's accurate passes - I love his kicking - he has a low trajectory pass, his judgement of where the player will be by the time the ball gets there is just extremely good. His was a good return to playing at the AFL level.

PS I thought Geary was good though, I had him in my best - I really think he is coming of age now.

Re: Round 4: St Kilda v Fremantle

St Kilda and Fremantle have played 23 matches since Fremantle entered the competition in 1995.

St Kilda have now hit the lead, head to head, with 12 wins to Fremantles 11.

We have played 12 matches at Subiaco where we have won 4 times, we also played one match at the WACA which we lost.

We played two matches at Aurora losing one by a point three days after the final whistle was blown and winning the other by a point.

We've only played Fremantle eight times in Melbourne. Once at Optus Oval, twice at Waverley and the last five times at Docklands.

We remain undefeated by them at our home ground.

We lost against them back in 1995 at Waverley. I was at the game. Peter Mann kicked 5 goals. :eek:

Re: Round 4: St Kilda v Fremantle

Clarke's run through the middle was brilliant but to top it with the kick to Milne (i think?) shows just how capable he is. He made some excellent spoils and his efficiency was incredible (92%). Hopefully he can be consistent and keep his game at a similar level.

Plugger, with all due respect, but your enthusiasm for Stanley is starting to be a bit too Bay13ish. Sam Fisher (a big and strong man) was pushed out of all but one contest and could not get his hands anywhere near the ball when he played forward.

Zac Dawson also struggled when he relieved Fisher from his misery in the second half.

Surely you're not trying to say that the comparatively slender Stanley would have done a lot better ?

And seriously, Clarke didn't contribute a lot ? He was solid in defence, calm and accurate under pressure and set up two goals with his running and accurate passes.

I do not share the opinion that Geary had a very good game. He was solid, took a few good marks, but had his problems with a few (more than just a few actually) very ordinary disposals (I think he kicked four or five into the stands, some of them without any pressure).

I know I talk up Stanley a lot on Bay 13 and here, not always seriously. However I was being serious when I think we should have played him today. We tried to pinch hit up forward with Fisher and Dawson who both struggled. Both of those guys aren't really natural forwards and it showed.

Stanley on the other hand seems a natural forward. He may not have the strength of someone like Fisher but he has pace, height and overhead marking ability, much like Riewoldt, that would have really come in handy today. Thankfully Goddard and Milney both stood up otherwise we would have been in trouble.

I know Kosi will be back next week which should help up forward but I still think Stanley needs to come under serious consideration as an option up forward. Not sure we can rely on Goddard to kick 5 goals each week as a forward and we could do with him in the midfield too.

I wasn't having a go at Raph Clarke btw, I thought he was OK today. I just think for team balance we might have been better off going with Stanley.

Great game guys. In the end just too strong for us.

On a side note: Brendon Goddard played a great game but has lost all respect from me. Running into an open goal (first goal of the last quarter) and instead of dribbling it along the ground (as no one was near him) he decides to kick the ball directly into a fremantle fans face all of 5 metres away. The kick was hard like he was kicking from outside 50.

Now I know fans should be watching the game blah blah but to deliberatly (sp?) kick it into fans is just piss poor. He didn't even give a sorry or anything to the poor girl he hit in the face (I think it was a girl, not sure as I was on level 3, but it was a young kid either way)

Great game guys. In the end just too strong for us.

On a side note: Brendon Goddard played a great game but has lost all respect from me. Running into an open goal (first goal of the last quarter) and instead of dribbling it along the ground (as no one was near him) he decides to kick the ball directly into a fremantle fans face all of 5 metres away. The kick was hard like he was kicking from outside 50.

Now I know fans should be watching the game blah blah but to deliberatly (sp?) kick it into fans is just piss poor. He didn't even give a sorry or anything to the poor girl he hit in the face (I think it was a girl, not sure as I was on level 3, but it was a young kid either way)
I can't explain why he did it - seemed pretty intentional from where we were sitting (behind that goal on the 3rd tier).

I still love BJ, he played an awesome game today.

Silverscope, as a St Kilda fan of some 30 odd years please accept my apologies for this terrible incident. I don't personally know Brendon Goddard, however, I'm absolutely sure he would not have purposely kicked the football into the face of anyone, let alone a child. I think the emotion of ensuring he kicked the ball between the posts (and not dribbling it), particularly in a tight contest such as tonight, weighs heavily on the minds of all St Kilda players given the clubs recent history i.e the Grand Final. I hope the girl is ok.

if you're not sure maybe you shouldn't write it

Sorry I was wrong. It wasn't a young girl, it was a young boy. Was also hit in the chest (looked like head from level 3) see below:

i was quite mad about that its hit a boy about 9 years old called kiren the smacked him in the chest he was quite hurt but is okay now.

Saintral: Thanks, I'm just bemused as to why you would, under no pressure, knowingly bang the ball straight at the crowd. Be it Opposition supporters or not it's pretty bloody dangerous.

Personally it ruined the game, which other than that was fantastic. But I guess the boy is ok so we move on.

Bloody great game St Kilda :thumbsu: You as a club have a whole lot more respect from me. As for the whole Goddard booting it into the person's face from 5 metres away, sure, it wasn't the best thing to do but what a mighty fine game from a mighty fine player. No-one can take that away from him.

Grassroots footy teaches you that irregardless of the situation you kick through the ball to the best of your ability so that you don't shank it, as soon as you try to pull back, be cute or otherwise you increase dramatically how much you can screw up a kick.

Case in point, running into an open goal with a teammate either side of me I narrowly missed a guy sitting on his car, though he did shit his pants and spill his beer. It would be safe to say that I was aiming for him since he was situated directly in the middle of the goals (where the cheersquads occupy grounds with stadia) because it is what you do. You focus on something in between that void and you kick towards that, be it a person or an inanimate object.

If you hit them, in my case it was grassroots and due to not having a few 10k's there I apologised on the spot, in Goddards case he simply may not have been aware simply because of the sea of people, he may have apologised after the game, he may have done several things to redeem his accuracy. But there is nothing to say that when a player is running nto goal they must dribble and increase the chance that they screw up in the process. And any coach that teaches it should be fired.

If anything I'd be losing respect for all the blokes around the kid for not trying to specky it.

Great game that hopefully taught our team what quality teams deal with and dish out week-in and week-out. I can't see how you guys wont win the flag at this early stage of the season. Your good players are just so good under pressure and just hold their poise when it matters. We'll get there soon with our young midfield in development - but bloody hell the Saints are going to take some beating, especially at that tiny oval.

Good luck for the rest of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After reading your first post Silverscope I think it's quite disappointing that you would even be suggesting that he deliberately kicked the ball into a young childs face.

Kicking the goal would have been the thing on his mind, not kicking the ball in a way that would ensure nobody in the crowd would be hurt.

He received the handball from Zac, kicked the ball into the crowd and went to celebrate with his teammates.

I'm sure he would have no problem contacting the child in question after the game to apologise and make sure he was alright.

I think you're detracting from what was a great contest between two very good teams.

They'd probs been heaping shit on him the whole game.

A lot of forwards do it, this person was obviously just unlucky enough to get smacked in the gob.

But yeah, I doubt he was actually wanting/aiming to hit someone.

I think BJ must have been watching this video of Tony Lockett to get a few hints on how to play full forward. Plugger had been copping it from Swans fans in that game for Caven headbutting his elbow so he decided to fire a couple of wormburners into the Swans cheer squad. All good fun.

[YOUTUBE]-wlLe3-fGoI[/YOUTUBE]

Great article on Jonsey on the Age website. this guy is a real success story. He actually did well on Barlow, he found the ball too.

Never get tired of seeing that footage Plugger35. :thumbsu:

To think just 9 months later he was playing for the Swans and embracing that old man behind the fence in the rooms after every win still makes me angry.

Never get tired of seeing that footage Plugger35. :thumbsu:

To think just 9 months later he was playing for the Swans and embracing that old man behind the fence in the rooms after every win still makes me angry.

Yeah Plugger was the reason I started supporting St Kilda. Hence the username.

Was gutted to see him leave for the Swans but he is still my favourite Saints player alongside Robert Harvey, hence the other numerical part of my username. Legends the pair of them.

Somone has probably already mentioned it, but wow at Armitage's last quarter when the game was on the line.

Somone has probably already mentioned it, but wow at Armitage's last quarter when the game was on the line.

Couln't believe it on the Radio. I think his name was mentioned in every sentence and none of it bad. If he didn't have it he was trying to get it or knock it the right way.

Geary was actually average mate imo, turned it over a few times, but was hard at it which was encouraging.
Pavs free annoyed me. And the one that should've gone to Milne (mid Q4) I thought was dodgy. To be honest though I think the frees Sandi got early were really 50/50. Though the umps seem inclined to pay frees in the ruck contests.
Best 5 players for us today everyone?
Mine are:

-Goddard
-Dal Santo
-Milne
-Armitage
-Montagna
lenny was easily better than montagna i'd say. we had absolutely no way of stopping sandilands but hayes read his taps so well in close he may as well have been playing for us

Personally it ruined the game, which other than that was fantastic. But I guess the boy is ok so we move on.

You're not serious? I would've thought the fact that you lost to us with no key forwards playing would've ruined your enjoyment of the game!

Talk about precious.

Anyone else think McPhee was completely pathetic for Freo? Worst on ground in my book. It was funny how he popped up for a few uncontested marks in the last few minutes. Had us all laughing in the crowd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 4 v Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back