Autopsy Round 4 vs St. Kilda @ MARVEL - 08/04/23 - 7:30pm

Remove this Banner Ad

G'day everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Thought I'd create an account to mention that the podcast The Footy with Broden (from aunty donna fame) are encouraging all their listeners to get down to Marvel this weekend to support the Suns, as the other host Tom is a huge Suns fan. They've got a pretty solid following already for a new podcast so there could be an extra strong sun showing ☀️

Unfortunately I can't attend cos I'm in Perth, but will definitely be at the West Coast game in may.

Go suns!

G'day everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Thought I'd create an account to mention that the podcast The Footy with Broden (from aunty donna fame) are encouraging all their listeners to get down to Marvel this weekend to support the Suns, as the other host Tom is a huge Suns fan. They've got a pretty solid following already for a new podcast so there could be an extra strong sun showing ☀️

Unfortunately I can't attend cos I'm in Perth, but will definitely be at the West Coast game in may.

Go suns!
Don’t worry the VIC army always rock up in big numbers, I’ve got full faith the bay will be full of Suns fans come Saturday night. The noise and atmosphere will be insane too. 5EAB94A8-2097-45CE-BAEB-00F404A7E7FE.jpeg

I'm just going Humphrey for flanders, Sexton as sub again. Mac Andrew is certainly putting pressure on but after a win happy to stick with minimal changes.
I’m for Mac coming in, he was great in the 2’s and we need all the help we can get in the backline

Suns vs Saints

DMac Ballard Farrar
Higgins Caminiti Butler

Long Collins Powell
Gresham Owens Phillipou

Weller. Miller Lukosius
Hill. Crouch Wanganeen-Milera

Ainsworth Casboult Holman
Stocker. Battle. Sinclair

Jeffrey. King. Rosas
Wilkie. Howard. Paton

Witts Anderson Rowell
Marshall Ross Clark

Swallow Hollands Sexton Humphrey
Windhager Byrnes Bytel Cordy

S) Ace

St Kilda pretty short up front with their injuries so not sure that Andrew is the play.

I'd consider Davies, Atkins (gulp) or Sharp at marvel.

Great to see Ainsworth bring up the 100 game milestone in this game and after the way we played in Swallow's 200th last week, I feel like another milestone game is exactly what our boys need. They were clearly inspired to perform for Dave on Sunday and hopefully they are just as determined to keep the ball rolling for Benny on Saturday. We're also slowly improving our milestone game ledger which is a good thing.

Sorry asking for my fantasy team, I see a few calls on Facebook for Moyle to play, is this possible with Witts?
Dew has mentioned they’d like to find ways of playing them together so he can got moyle into the senior side.

Never seen it in any level of game though

Possible exchange for casboult if he needs a rest at some point? But also got chol in the VFL.

He’ll be a good ruckman. But wouldn’t bank on him getting games anytime soon.

Suns vs Saints

DMac Ballard Farrar
Higgins Caminiti Butler

Long Collins Powell
Gresham Owens Phillipou

Weller. Miller Lukosius
Hill. Crouch Wanganeen-Milera

Ainsworth Casboult Holman
Stocker. Battle. Sinclair

Jeffrey. King. Rosas
Wilkie. Howard. Paton

Witts Anderson Rowell
Marshall Ross Clark

Swallow Hollands Sexton Humphrey
Windhager Byrnes Bytel Cordy

S) Ace

St Kilda pretty short up front with their injuries so not sure that Andrew is the play.

I'd consider Davies, Atkins (gulp) or Sharp at marvel.
That’s a shocking team the saints have on paper. They only have one or two lines which is better than ours, but geez they’re playing good footy with what they have.

That’s a shocking team the saints have on paper. They only have one or two lines which is better than ours, but geez they’re playing good footy with what they have.
I don't see any suggested Saints line better than ours provided we perform to our abilities. IMO, Saints wins are based on work rate, pressure and a great team defensive effort from all 18 players and as a result scoring from a lot of turnovers. They work hard as a team for the whole game.

If we bring the same intensity, pressure like against Cats we have a great shot to win. Hoping we can prevail in the middle like against Cats. We just can't afford to struggle again with converting opportunities. There were some shockers against Cats. In reality, in Melbourne we are automatically 2-3 goals down due to umpiring.

Looking forward to see how Witts will go. He could barely walk after Cats game.

I was also encouraged by how King played except his obvious hands' yips. He worked hard, presented well, crashed packs. He could had easily scored 4-5 goals. It could be his day against Saints.

Who replaces Flanders? My tip is Humphrey or Davies or even Fiorini. Atkins actually looked decent in VFL too.

Farrar was a bit wobbly, but I don't see Andrew replacing him right now.

Last edited:

Great to see Ainsworth bring up the 100 game milestone in this game and after the way we played in Swallow's 200th last week, I feel like another milestone game is exactly what our boys need. They were clearly inspired to perform for Dave on Sunday and hopefully they are just as determined to keep the ball rolling for Benny on Saturday. We're also slowly improving our milestone game ledger which is a good thing.

Shouldn't need a milestone to win every week but I am big fan of Benny and feel like he has really become an awesome, reliable HF in the last two years. Know what we get from him every week. It's such a hard position to play too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep,
I don't mind our chances.
Their strength is their running small / half forwards. Gresham, Higgins, Butler. I think we match up pretty well with DMac, Farrar, Powell, Weller.

Shouldn't need a milestone to win every week but I am big fan of Benny and feel like he has really become an awesome, reliable HF in the last two years. Know what we get from him every week. It's such a hard position to play too.
Was having a look at Ainsworth's history at Marvel
13 games, 8 goals and 17 behinds!

Lets hope we see him start to claw back that ledger.

Yep,
I don't mind our chances.
Their strength is their running small / half forwards. Gresham, Higgins, Butler. I think we match up pretty well with DMac, Farrar, Powell, Weller.
Don't sleep on Mitch Owens. Powerful kid who should be getting Sam Collins on him. Super hard worker who should be playing midfield, has had 5 shots on goal a game

Don't sleep on Mitch Owens. Powerful kid who should be getting Sam Collins on him. Super hard worker who should be playing midfield, has had 5 shots on goal a game
Yeah I'm not - I put collins on him in my expected line up above.
Not seen who has been playing on him in previous weeks - has he been getting a bigger defender? Or a mid sized defender?

Yeah I'm not - I put collins on him in my expected line up above.
Not seen who has been playing on him in previous weeks - has he been getting a bigger defender? Or a mid sized defender?
Yep seen that;

Can't recall specifically whos been on him in the first 3 rounds, but i have watched the saints a fair bit and he just monsters whoevers on him. Has the tank to go right up to the wing and come back to the square, good overhead, Collins may not have the speed and tank to go with him all day, maybe Wil Powell matches up with him

Looking at their coaches votes recipients so far, it's been pretty varied.

Wilkie has scored well in 2 of the 3 weeks. Stats show 4th most intercepts and top 10 for marks in the league.

He probably lines up on someone like Joel Jeffrey.
Joel will really have to work hard to keep him honest and accountable.

Also Gresham, Higgins, Butler, Hill - their running players have received a few votes.
Be interesting to see how our running game style from last week stacks up.

surely we beat the saints their game plan has been exposed on, on the couch, 360, access all areas all week.

just be brave and go down the corridor, take our chances infront of goals

surely we beat the saints their game plan has been exposed on, on the couch, 360, access all areas all week.

just be brave and go down the corridor, take our chances infront of goals
It's a fine balance between taking the game on/go down the corridor and turning the ball over.

IMO, if we can bring required contest, pressure and convert we will win. Our conversion is simply terrible. I am not too optimistic we can improve it quickly. Add several goals to Saints as home advantage and it will not be easy for Suns but I believe :)

Saints score mostly from turnovers caused by great team defence, pressure. 3 games should be enough to analyse their plan and devise strategy to attack it.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 4 vs St. Kilda @ MARVEL - 08/04/23 - 7:30pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back