Review Round 5, 2024 - Melbourne vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm really enjoying watching him. I really hope he keeps his spot because I think he's earned it and he really brings an extra component we don't really have.
Fages was right preseason. He really does have a tank. Great work rate.

Rayner broke the game open early for us. 12 possessions, 6 clearances. But he finished with 25 possessions and 9 clearances, we still need him to contribute more than 13 possessions over over 3 quarters. One of his best games ever but I still think he can do better and we need him to do better.

Lester was huge tonight.

We’ve played Gardiner up forward the last 2 weeks and both Joe and Hippy have had really solid games. I’m not saying it’s the presence of Dizz up forward that is causing it but maybe it needs to be considered? We don’t need him to have a heap of touches or goals if his contribution helps our talls get more separation, marks, shots at goal etc.

I thought Melbournes dominance in the last was due to Max palming it where his mids needed it to be, us reverting to more long bombs going forward and us just running out the clock.

We need another ruck. O’s effort cannot be questioned at all but he makes so many dumb decisions that can cost easy goals.

Payne was back to or close to his best, another confidence builder for him. Melbournes forwards are pretty piss poor though.

Just loved the team first attitude, that was a one percenter clinic by our boys. Blocks, shepherds, smothers, tackles, chases, close down pressure and hands in to disrupt the play were the best i've ever seen from our team.

Rayner and Berry deserve a pat on the back for their efforts tonight, one swallow doesn't make a summer. They perform at that level or at least at 90% of that level, we are a completely different team.

Unsung heroes- Linc McCarthy and Ryan Lester, both are absolute guns, team first. Harris Andrews is the best defender in the competition HANDS DOWN.

We need to play North at Marvel, then you can attend. 😄
Oh god, that brings back some horrific memories. The only Marvel game I've been to...

The boys were sick and so was I by the end of the night.

3KZ is Football are you there buddy? Still making your way back from the game?

Your report on how good Rayner was is going to be a great read. Can't wait.
Just got in then. Rayner was great tonight, especially early. He did fade later in the game, but let’s be real. Midfielder gets 25 disposals is hardly the story of the year. I say again - he was great tonight, but he needs to do that and THEN SOME every week. It would be embracing a culture of low expectations if we were now to proclaim CAM RAYNER CAN WALK ON WATER!

Having been at the game, I would rate Dunkley, Berry, Zorko, Bailey, Cameron and McCluggage above him.

In fact I’ve never been happier to eat HUMBLE PIE, than I am after Berry’s game tonight. He was absolutely AMAZING! He was a tackling machine and his second and third efforts were so courageous. I think he was just about our best. Good for him!

Rayner broke the game open early for us. 12 possessions, 6 clearances. But he finished with 25 possessions and 9 clearances, we still need him to contribute more than 13 possessions over over 3 quarters. One of his best games ever but I still think he can do better and we need him to do better.

Crazy. It's almost like the opposition coaches saw him tearing the game up & focused on stopping him.

It basically set up the perfect game for him in the first. His work at stoppages is bordering on elite right now and there were what felt like 100s of stoppages to begin with. When the game opens up he's not playing to his strengths any more, and by the looks of it he pushes forward when the ball is moving more freely around the field. I think this is the best use for him to be honest, both impact around the contest and then up forward too - but if the game doesn't play to him, he's going to disappear.

Rayner's first quarter was the best I've seen him play and imo the best single performance quarter of anyone this year. Of any team. Maybe Lachie's 2nd quarter last week wasn't far behind.

Just hoping he builds on that and his tank keeps improving over time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find it hard to believe that anyone would think a number of long term posters are out to get Rayner. We all see the weapons, we all see the potential, we just don't see the workrate and the want to be a very good afl player. Tonight I saw it, but i also saw him tire as the game went on. Continuing to reprogram Rayner's mindset is essential for a long term career at the top. Again J.Berry deserves a massive rap, we all know he can do it, the team needs it to be more consistent at that level. This is how you win premierships.

Crazy. It's almost like the opposition coaches saw him tearing the game up & focused on stopping him.
Happens to every player, I’m not bothered that he only got another 3 clearances but the 4 or so possessions a quarter after quarter time isn’t great. But I would still take Cam having that game everyday of the week.

I hope Fages doesn't even raise the Answerth thing internally. IMO its a good thing and shows a bit of a pep in our step and that our energy is back. There were a lot of those little things tonight which gives a good sign of where we're at mentally as a team.

If we played like tonight the first 3 games then we would be 5-0. I heard fages say a couple of weeks ago that we changed our preseason and did less skill based work. Looks to me like we are just coming right. Maybe change our preseason back next season.

Just got in then. Rayner was great tonight, especially early. He did fade later in the game, but let’s be real. Midfielder gets 25 disposals is hardly the story of the year. I say again - he was great tonight, but he needs to do that and THEN SOME every week. It would be embracing a culture of low expectations if we were now to proclaim CAM RAYNER CAN WALK ON WATER!

Having been at the game
, I would rate Dunkley, Berry, Zorko, Bailey, Cameron and McCluggage above him.

In fact I’ve never been happier to eat HUMBLE PIE, than I am after Berry’s game tonight. He was absolutely AMAZING! He was a tackling machine and his second and third efforts were so courageous. I think he was just about our best. Good for him!

That's a very poor take IMO. It was a line in the sand game according to many & he stood up & stood up early.

Having been at the game? Clearly you don't get an unbiased view there either.

i do find it a bit off that all it takes is one bad game from hipwood or daniher for the media to start calling them flaky whereas melbournes trio of brown / van rooyen / petty can spud it up for weeks at a time and nothing is said

There is always constant talk of Melbourne’s really bleak forward line with the sphere of their club. It’s woefully lacking and an actual known problem.

Brown is constantly criticised and dropped, considering he really should be a consistent performer still. Petty goes down back half of his games. Van Rooyen is literally just young and is developing. Fritsch is the only consistent performer and already has 14 goals this season so he’s fine.

A big difference is that Melbourne aren’t expected to win games off their forwards performances. They expect Clarry, Petracca, Viney, Gawn, May and Lever to be their match winners while their forwards just have to be average. It’s not the same for us. We expect Joe or Charlie to put in a great performance to win us games. There’s of course other players in the midfield and backline that are the same but there’s an expectation on performance for Joe, Charlie and even Hipwood that Melbourne forwards don’t have.

I hope Fages doesn't even raise the Answerth thing internally. IMO its a good thing and shows a bit of a pep in our step and that our energy is back. There were a lot of those little things tonight which gives a good sign of where we're at mentally as a team.
Despite the weak opposition last week it gave our confidence a boost.

That's a very poor take IMO. It was a line in the sand game according to many & he stood up & stood up early.

Having been at the game? Clearly you don't get an unbiased view there either.
I said he was great tonight.

Rayner's first quarter was the best I've seen him play and imo the best single performance quarter of anyone this year. Of any team. Maybe Lachie's 2nd quarter last week wasn't far behind.

Just hoping he builds on that and his tank keeps improving over time.
Yes so do I as I have him as my each way Brownlow bet prior to the season starting. Go Cam!

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 5, 2024 - Melbourne vs. Brisbane Lions

Back