Preview Round 5: Collingwood vs Essendon, MCG, Friday 03/07/2020 @ 7.50 PM

Which team will have more points at full time

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking back at Hurleys game via replay it was a mixed bag. Got a timely hand in to stop a Cartlon forward push which was excellent. The clearing kick that went out on the full 45m out and led to a goal was a little unlucky. Still not a great decision though. His 2 rushed round the corner kicks that went straight to Sam Walsh were poor decisions which is why the ball came straight back inside 50. The 2nd of those in particular when we were 2 goals up with 10 mins to go hurt as Carlton kicked 2 quick ones straight after. His contested mark in the 2nd was AA Hurls which was excellent. And his chip kick after to Ridley was fine, thats what we want, quickly get the ball to one of our better users. Was very unlucky to pinged holding the ball which led to a goal as well. Some of his kicks out of defence that pinged straight back in, a couple of better efforts in those contests from our playets further up the ground would've helped. A pretty mixed night, a mile away from what he is capable of when he's at his best. Personally i think he should be given 1 player to shut down and he should be aiming to kick less and look for Redman, Ridley, Gleeson and Saad to do that job.

Looking back at Hurleys game via replay it was a mixed bag. Got a timely hand in to stop a Cartlon forward push which was excellent. The clearing kick that went out on the full 45m out and led to a goal was a little unlucky. Still not a great decision though. His 2 rushed round the corner kicks that went straight to Sam Walsh were poor decisions which is why the ball came straight back inside 50. The 2nd of those in particular when we were 2 goals up with 10 mins to go hurt as Carlton kicked 2 quick ones straight after. His contested mark in the 2nd was AA Hurls which was excellent. And his chip kick after to Ridley was fine, thats what we want, quickly get the ball to one of our better users. Was very unlucky to pinged holding the ball which led to a goal as well. Some days of his kicks out of defence that pinged straight back in, a couple of better efforts in those contests from our playets further up the ground would've helped. A pretty mixed night, a mile away from what he is capable of when he's at his best. Personally i think he should be given 1 player to shut down and he should be aiming to kick less and look for Redman, Ridley, Gleeson and Saad to do that job.
think that’s a fair assessment.
Though I’ve heard this said a few times, he dropped the ball intentionally which is incorrect disposal and is HTB

Sidebottom has to be suspended, Wells is on the Collingwood staff but not under the COVID protocols so therefore the players aren’t permitted to mix with him, not sure what the protocols are about Ubers but surely that wouldn’t be permitted either, the driver could be anyone.

It’s Collingwood though so probably be swept under the carpet.

think that’s a fair assessment.
Though I’ve heard this said a few times, he dropped the ball intentionally which is incorrect disposal and is HTB
Looking at that HTB at normal speed and i think he looks unlucky. Still, Hurley at his best shrugs that off and handballs to McGrath or at the very least sees it over properly. I actually wouldn't have minded seeing him initiate some body contact and let McGrath run on to it or let the ball dribble over itself. He didn't sum up the situation very well.

Wait til Eddie gets to work

They will play and get a puppy each from the AFL

If Zach wasn't suspended with sidebottom was out as well as Howe id actually think we would be an outside chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Classic, i was just thinking this. In saying that im pretty excited about seeing what Hibberd can do if he gets a chance
Yeah. Could play a decent role. was intrigued on where he'd go in his draft year
if he comes on, perhaps we can forget we took Morgan in that draft :p

But seriously, Treloar for Sidey....can't we catch one break

I honestly didn't realise that Dunn was still on Collingwood's list. Still think they'll just go Madgen for Howe.

Yeah. Could play a decent role. was intrigued on where he'd go in his draft year
if he comes on, perhaps we can forget we took Morgan in that draft :p

But seriously, Treloar for Sidey....can't we catch one break
And Morgan ended up at North! We drafted Hibberd for instant impact so i cant see why they just dont play him and at least have a look

Ambrose is injured for starters.
Do you really want to go with BZT, Hooker and Francis as our key defenders? One can hardly move, one tries only when he feels like and the other has played 2 games.

Hurley traditionally starts slow whether it be the start of the season or returning from injury, he’s got a gazillion more credits in the bank than 90% of the team to be dropping him after 3 games when we are 2-1.

Carlton has the 2nd most inside 50s out of any team for the round and our defence kept them to 7 goals, there are
plenty more players to be pointing the finger at higher up the ground than Hurley.
I know Ambrose is injured, which is why I wouldn't be dropping Hurley this week. My point is that Hurley needs to be much better or else a 2 gamer or Ambrose will be the better option going forward.

I certainly wouldn't say our defence is the only factor that kept them to 7 goals. Carlton didn't have McKay and Curnow so it's just as much to do with how bad Carlton were. 7 goals certainly doesn't tell the story when it was 7 goals and 10 behinds. Many of those behinds were very very gettable. We were very lucky. Saad and Ridley were good. If it wasn't for them, we'd have gotten obliterated. Hurley and Hooker were disappointing.

There are plenty of players that played worse than Hurley, but those players didn't captain the side so he'll naturally cop more heat. With his level of experience, we shouldn't be speaking about slow starts. It's just another Essendon excuse. Hurley has been running out of credit for a long time. The current Hurley we're seeing started in 2018.

Anyway, this isn't the Hurley thread so we can agree to disagree.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back