Round 5 Match Review: The Good The Excellent & the Simply Outstanding

Remove this Banner Ad

Flogs on the Essendon board continue to complain about the Jetta tunnelling instant.

As soon as the eyes left the ball, he could not legally make contact outside a legitimate marking attempt.

That's the way it's been ruled for years.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

The GOOD-
Tom Curren- this kid deserves everything he gets, what a job on Heppell, I can't give him enough praise for the jobs he has been doing, his something special!
Nick Riewoldt - when you think he can't do any better, he does, a genuine superstar (understatement)
Lenny Hayes - he has still got it, was everywhere tonight, the best thing is his teaching the kids :)
Adam Schneider - having him back added so much class to us, his 2nd qrt helped change the game!
Joey Montagna - after a poor performance last week, stepped up and that's why his a leader!
Jack Billings - he moves so well across the ground, defiantly pushing for rising star this week!
Our pressure- we got to so many contests to put pressure on which resulted in turnovers, great to watch
Rhys Stanley - tonight's game I thought was a big step forward for him, didn't hit the scoreboard but 13 marks will help them come in the future

The BAD?-
Decisions- just some sloppy decision making in the early parts of the game, that will slowly disappear as the season unfolds though
Some Essendon supporters - to hear there blaming the umpires because former saints player Leigh Fisher is now one, is so laughable. Once there down they'll take anyone with them!
Channel 7 - do they really think BT and Luke Darcy can commentate? There've got a lot more other things on there mind I think!

So proud of the boys today, showed a lot of heart in the performance and got a deserved victory.

Our pressure on the ball carrier was huge, the way our players wanted the ball when the opposition have the ball is so pleasing to see.

Webster and Newnes are class, and you can tell that they are growing as players. When Webster has the place it seems like he has all the time in the world to go with his class, and never loses one on one battles. Newnes just does everything right, calm with the pill and makes the right decisions. Looking forward to seeing how they continue to develop.

The older guard stood tall again, good to see Schnieder back as well. Also blessed to have players and leaders such as Roo, Hayes and Montie showing the young boys the right way to football.

Thought Curren was fantastic, Heppel had no effect in the game at all.

Could say something positive about all the players.

Bad; our skills at times let us dow, but it is easy to live with if there is good effort.

Good, tall defenders, the coach, the buy in from the senior players, the way the old boys support the kids and more than anything the joy of winning.

I think that the 'buy in' from the older players has so much helped the younger ones. I doubt anyone knows what was said to Reiwoldt but whatever it was, he has bought it lock s stock and barrel.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

Jeez where do I start.

Good:

Riewoldt obviously. Great to see the enjoyment that all the senior players are getting from these wins. They're going to leave the club in a great place.

Would have to be Webster's best game for the club. He's really starting to build now. Kicking has always been good but now he's starting to duck and weave through traffic with composure which will take him to another level. Great in all defensive situations. Similiar to Newnes as well who's starting to do similiar things. Can't wait to get 50 games into these guys.

Jack Billings. This guy is class personified. Good things come from his touches and that's how you know you have a good player. His first goal was an absolute ripper. What a superstar he's going to be.

So good to have the Schneiderman back. Another classy player, and what a difference guys like him and Billings make going forward.

Stanley improving every week. Couple of goals would be nice but all we can really ask for is improvement and we're seeing that.

Not the time for bad yet!

Honestly there is far too much good to be written about, not least that we DEFEATED ESSENDON!!

Bad:
-Eli's influence on the stat sheet. This said, he applied pressure and the like, so still a solid game.
-Rhys Stanley was outstanding when St Kilda had the footy, but I think his endurance needs work. I know it's hard being in the ruck as well, but Rhys needs to start to apply more pressure defensively.
-Hurley's haircut.
-Goal kicking could have cost us this one, but we nailed them when we needed to!!
-Jack Billings was great, but the lad needs to run some repeat 400s. Looks a tad slow.
-Luke Dunstan was robbed of some SuperCoach points. Played a very good game I thought.

I think that the 'buy in' from the older players has so much helped the younger ones. I doubt anyone knows what was said to Reiwoldt but whatever it was, he has bought it lock s stock and barrel.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

Years of Ross Lyon letting Goddard and Roo go the full pork chop over poor delivery, a new coach, a new attitude and it's a pleasure to watch, just wish we could have got Richo two years ago and Kosi may have found his love of footy for his last two years.

I'll be surprised if Beau Maister get's back into the St Kilda line up.

I like Beau but after tonight i like where we're heading without him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was out tonight, and couldn't watch the game, so was following the score on my phone. Except I think there was a bug in the system, it said that we won?! Can someone please post the final score, as I just can't believe that.

;)
Go you mighty flipping Sainters!!!! Can't wait to watch the game tomorrow!

Going to be so hard to decide on votes this week! (Apart from Roo, who pretty much has the B&F wrapped up)

Apart from Roo and Lenny, who were outstaaaaanding, my best for the night were;

Newnes - I've never been 100 percent sold on the kid, but tonight he showed poise, pace, class and CANDY! with some bloody good disposal too.
Billings- Need I say more really - A natural to the game, dropped my beer when he put his first through from 50.
Webster - The poise the poise the poise the boot.
Bruce (Hair-do)- Thought he played really well alongside Delaney and showed some really great closing speed.
Schneider - I've been missing his creativity in the forward half and apparently so have we. Very silky.

This will do for the individuals, they impressed me ALOT.

Overall;

-Our speed is fantastic.
-Steven looks like he is taking the piss with the competition at the moment, side steps and double takes making players rethink their career path! He is ready to absolutely explode in the coming rounds.
-I don't know what happened in the Crows match but our defensive pressure continues to amaze and intimidate. Richo knows what he is doing with this squad and has a well drilled structure forming.
-Tonight handballs were finding their target, marks were sticking and bounces were falling our way. Huge win.

To the rest of the competition and supposed AFL pundits, STICKITUPYA!

The team balance was spot on, Maister out and the inclusion of the two classy left footers rotating through the middle made a huge difference.

The extra pressure we were able to exert in waves and the constant rotation of the midfielders through the forward line was fantastic.

A big call out to Newnes, I haven't managed to fit him into the votes once this season, yet he'd be in my top 5 overall, tremendous consistency.

Most things covered, but a few of my fave moments

Gwilt, undersized most weeks, but never shrinks from attempting the impossible. Never held that against him, and nice to finally see two key defenders in thus lightening his load so he could shine at his natural game

Stanley, loved his marks, but also loved his push and shove. Argy bargy suits him, woud love him to impose himself like that some more

Jimmy Webster is as smooth as butter, but gee, he never starts a contest without finishing it does he. He will chase even if he is no chance...just in case

Loved the bounce of that ball that looked a sure dons goal, but for once the oval ball barracked for the saints tonight

Geary lifted on par with Len and joey in the last, great leadership

Delaney v Carlisle, Curren v Heppell (3 inside 50's for TC resulting in 3 assists)

Billings 2 goals, 2 goal assists....amazing effort....classy

And finally...

1z2f4ht.jpg

Last edited:
Everyone is pointing out the positives (and why not, it was an awesome win), however there were some things that we didn't do so well, that will improve our team greatly if we can pick up on them (there's no point taking away nothing to improve on)

1. I felt we controlled play really well in our back half, but tended to break down in between the centre circle and half forward. There were a lot of opportunities when we almost got an inside 50, but then a wayward handball caused someone to stop and prop so they couldn't run onto it, or a missed kick, etc stopped the flow of play, then it would be turned over. When we were linking up really well for that 5 minute period in the last quarter, it showed and we were blitzing it.

2. Our structure looked so much better with an extra tall back, meaning we had Gwilt freed up, allowing him and Webster to accurately belt it 55+ metres from our defensive 50. However, perhaps also a little to do with the first point, we sometimes looked a little too one dimensional going forward. Riewoldt was on fire in the 2nd and 3rd quarters, but in the last they started having a loose man on him/taking up the space in front, and that was probably the only solid tactical move that Bomber did all night (I thought Hibberd was huge in the last quarter, he took heaps of intercept marks), and we didn't really have another big target to go to (Stanley was playing the higher role). We also tended to go a bit too wide I thought, which was why we were so inaccurate in the first.

3. No one really played badly enough to get dropped, I wanted to see Acres out there next week :p

But anyway, these are just nitpicking to be honest, however if we can get them right, who knows what we can accomplish this season?

The Good - Even spread of players made it hard to find a standout (apart from the usual)
- Delaney and Bruce seem to be underrated by everyone outside the club and shows how much we needed some tall defenders
- Recruiting department can't be faulted
The Bad - Kicking for goal was a worry
- First they interviewed Roos now Bomber. When will Fox Footy show a Richo pressed after a good win?

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 5 Match Review: The Good The Excellent & the Simply Outstanding

Remove this Banner Ad

Back