Round 5 Match Review: The Good The Excellent & the Simply Outstanding

Remove this Banner Ad

Amazing win,
Not only am I glad to see Billings have a great game but Newnes and Webster played better then I had expected/imagined. Didn't see Templeton get the ball much but he ran as hard as anyone tonight, would of clocked up quite a few km's and put a lot of added pressure.
How good is it to have Bruce and Delaney in the team? Bruce is a lot more athletic then I thought. Cheers GWS.

Not to take away from the win, I think it's time we start to completely phase out CJ. He literally has no confidence in his kicking and he's currently filling a spot which can be replaced by a handful of players that could do with some more AFL experience. I haven't looked at the stats for the match but I can't remember him kicking the ball more then one or two times. His handball/kick ratio would be crazy

The best part of it - there's only improvement from here.

I'm still a little frustrated by Stanley.

Reckon he could go a lot harder at times. He's also slow to get his shit together when he needs to contest the ruck too.

He certainly has talent but I'm still waiting to get wowed by him.

I thought he was solid in the game. He won a lot of solid contested marks which really kept the momentum going.

he now needs to take more marks inside 50.

Notice a few members saying that ET was a bit flat, me personally thought he wasn't too bad. Harassed & pressured the opposition quite a bit during the game, but unfortunately there are no stats to show just how hard he did work. On the game....what a bloody rippa.

Great win! I struggle to say things that others haven't already said outstandingly well.

Some things that stood out for me was:-

- The players were incredibly resilient despite the initial onslaught.
- Billings 1st goal. You know - a very similar goal from Buddy won the goal of the year once (against the same team). This one was just kicked by a 2nd gamer.
- Curren's game cannot be underestimated. 3 Goal assists (team high).
- Lenny Hayes should be a cha cha dancer - the shimmy was in full play!
- Riewoldt. He should be leading the brownlow this year for sure.
- Schneider - had a good game. When his posessions came off.. he just executed brilliantly.
- Montagna improved on last week and had 8 clearences.
- Webster, Newnes and Gwilt were great. Stanley solid with 7 inside 50s (team high). Saunders with another typical 8 tackles.
- Bomber was seriously outcoached, he handled it badly and was making strange moves to channel sheedy and failed at it. Throwing Watson in the 50m arc was a failure as we had the smaller backline to deal with it. The reality is that the bombers don't have a forward line. Carlisle has had 1-2 good games up forward and Daniher is a forward / ruck in his 2nd season. More importantly though, their entire team couldn't handle the pressure on the ball carrier.
- Just brilliant defensive coaching again. Incredible pressure on the marking player taking the kick. Have a look at some of the possies Chappy had - we didn't let him get a single cheapie.

If I have a complaint about the game, it is the fact that how many times the ball came off hands & went to the back of the pack, unfortunately with only Essendon players there to mop up. Reckon as soon as players get to know each others style of play this will be overcome though.

1. Invite mates over for the game.
2. Have the piss taken out of you all week about the impending loss.
3. Nick Riewoldt in attack mode.
4. Glorious triumphant victory.

I subjected my mates to three renditions of the song in the final quarter to get my own back.

Review pts:
Eli Templeton had a slow game statistically,but I really think he did well at key points pressuring and being the extra man to throw the defender. Dunstan love this bloke.

Riewoldt: so much has been written about him already ITT but more is always needed to pay tribute for his commitment to the team. He is not only a goal and mark machine, with the athleticism of a mid fielder and sheer power of one of the games top forwards. He is the best bloody leader you could hope for, every time he is in the huddle, he is speaking with such intensity it's inspiring. When the telecast gets what he is saying he is communicating a nuanced understanding of the game, I cant help but look forward to his coaching career (hopefully with the saints). When we score and win the reaction from him is visceral. He typifies what being a true believer saint is all about. Last night there was a shot of roo and his marker both doubled up with exhaustion early in the second qtr IIRC, but honey badger Roo is off sprinting the rest of the game. Every time he contests and gets knocked from his feet, he seems to recover in the space of a couple seconds, and recommit to the contest. The opposition know how powerful he is, they doubled manned him most set kicks, yet he still knows how to work them off, to free his teammates or get the ball over them. For such a flagship player he is never selfish with it, always using teammates when they are they are better positioned,but also willing to take the big and hard goals on.

In short I love him, it would've been so easy for him to do his apprenticeship with st kilda and then head off to Geelong/hawks/big money, constant wins and top level supporting players, but he didnt. He is here fighting for us.

On the older guys:

I think the message from Richo might have been along the lines of: "You blokes might not be out there when we win the cup but the legacy and spirit you leave behind sure as hell will be"

When Richo and Dunstan are up on the dias being presented with the Cup, I'll see Lenny, Schneids, Joey, Roo, Gwilt, Jonesy, Fish etc all standing up there with them like Obi Wan, Yoda and Anakin in Return of the Jedi.

They won't be out there game day but that cup will be every bit theirs due to the sacrifices they all make over the next 2-3 years before retirement.

Fortius Quo Fidelius

Last edited:
Notice a few members saying that ET was a bit flat, me personally thought he wasn't too bad. Harassed & pressured the opposition quite a bit during the game, but unfortunately there are no stats to show just how hard he did work. On the game....what a bloody rippa.

That's what I like about him, he runs hard both ways and while he doesn't get a lot of the footy he's always putting on pressure and when he does get the footy he usually uses it well.

Last edited:
Thought the games of Newnes and Webster were outstanding, backline looked good with Delaney and Bruce and we didn't have Gilbert and Armitage out there last night any player who wants a game this year will have to earn it which leads to a great culture

1. Invite mates over for the game.
2. Have the piss taken out of you all week about the impending loss.
3. Nick Riewoldt in attack mode.
4. Glorious triumphant victory.

I subjected my mates to three renditions of the song in the final quarter to get my own back.

Review pts:
Eli Templeton had a slow game statistically,but I really think he did well at key points pressuring and being the extra man to throw the defender. Dunstan love this bloke.

Riewoldt: so much has been written about him already ITT but more is always needed to pay tribute for his commitment to the team. He is not only a goal and mark machine, with the athleticism of a mid fielder and sheer power of one of the games top forwards. He is the best bloody leader you could hope for, every time he is in the huddle, he is speaking with such intensity it's inspiring. When the telecast gets what he is saying he is communicating a nuanced understanding of the game, I cant help but look forward to his coaching career (hopefully with the saints). When we score and win the reaction from him is visceral. He typifies what being a true believer saint is all about. Last night there was a shot of roo and his marker both doubled up with exhaustion early in the second qtr IIRC, but honey badger Roo is off sprinting the rest of the game. Every time he contests and gets knocked from his feet, he seems to recover in the space of a couple seconds, and recommit to the contest. The opposition know how powerful he is, they doubled manned him most set kicks, yet he still knows how to work them off, to free his teammates or get the ball over them. For such a flagship player he is never selfish with it, always using teammates when they are they are better positioned,but also willing to take the big and hard goals on.

In short I love him, it would've been so easy for him to do his apprenticeship with st kilda and then head off to Geelong/hawks/big money, constant wins and top level supporting players, but he didnt. He is here fighting for us.

I think Eli and Dunstan had quieter games but the thing you can't help notice is their poise and quick thinking. Both have quality about them and the class of 2013 is looking like one of our best ever. This group is looking like they are going to fast track our rebuild. Acres hasn't even played yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jack Steven is unreal.
2nd game back from injury, tagged, limited mid time.
The way he dodges and weaves makes opp players look foolish.
I love it how he runs straight at them just to slip out of reach, hes the matador!

Jack billings. Moist.

Don't think Eli was that bad, he noticed he wasn't have an effect on the stat sheet so he really started to put pressure on the ball handler whenever they were around. I must have seen him atleast half a dozen times sprinting to pressure and tackle after a clearance/when the ball came to ground, forcing the Dons to boot it long.

I am however a bit worried with CJ. In his first two weeks he was in our top five and we were saying how much his kicking has improved, now it seems he's tone back to his old style. I'm not sure what it is but if you have a look at the replay from the first few matches, his kicking is more fluid and he used a more "old school" or "bread and butter" technique. Last night, going back to his old kicking style, he guides the ball with his hand virtually all the way to his foot. This means he's leaning forward a lot more (so anyone who's played soccer will no) that it means the ball stays a lot flatter and doesn't go as high, which is causing him to not reach the invented targets and have the ball fall 1-3 meters short. Or slightly come off the side of his boot, hence just going wayward and in another direction.

It's probably been mentioned but how good is #TheTCEffect. He is going to become one of the best taggers in the game, but also has the ability to hurt the opposition other way. I know alot people love see him not tagging but it's probably his best position, cos at any time he can be released and given freedom.

But how good is it to beat the Bombers!!

Can't think of a poor player from the game last night, all 22 were exceptional. And whats even more exciting is fact we have 5-8 players absolutely banging the door down in the VFL. I cant remember last time we were in this position, the future is really bloody exciting!

The highlights for me were joeys wobbly goal and billings sealer.

The bad: bombers supporters.
Lippy first qtr.
Leaving 10 mins into last qtr.... soft.
We drove 2.5 hours expecting to get flogged as experts were predicting... and we would have stayed till the final siren if that was the case.
Bomber fans frontrunners just like their players!

Anyone else find it highly amusing that after the whole hirdy drug cheating debacle, that they have the half time giveaway sponsored by chemist warehouse and fan had to guess which number the bottle of pills were hidden? !

The highlights for me were joeys wobbly goal and billings sealer.

The bad: bombers supporters.
Lippy first qtr.
Leaving 10 mins into last qtr.... soft.
We drove 2.5 hours expecting to get flogged as experts were predicting... and we would have stayed till the final siren if that was the case.
Bomber fans frontrunners just like their players!

Anyone else find it highly amusing that after the whole hirdy drug cheating debacle, that they have the half time giveaway sponsored by chemist warehouse and fan had to guess which number the bottle of pills were hidden? !
I'm not sure who these "experts" are or where they've come from, but so far this season they've gotten nothing right.
-Saints for the wooden spoon. Well we'll be sitting just outside the top 8 after just beating a, and I quote "potential top 4 side".
-Dees and GWS have better youth hence will beat the saints. Well looks like you've got things right around.
-West Coast will make Wet Toast of us. Took it right up to them.
-Saints should beat Adelaide with the home advantage. I guess it was a shame we couldn't make them right with this one but ehh, the rebound this week was terrific.
-Dons to smash the Saints, and jeez the commentators were talking up the dons even in the 4th saying they can still easily get in this and win (which they could) but rather than crediting the Saints they decided to be negative of us.
-Essendon only had six days to recover after a huge loss. Fun fact you f*** *****, so did we!
-Finally, you underestimated our Youngens, don't do that ever again because when they grow up, they'll eat you alive.

"Experts" who these days just seem to be a bunch of coach potatoes that watch a couple games of footy rather than actually doing any research. Yes we won't be able to keep it up for the entire year as we're still young but wow, when we've done something good give us some credit rather than negating the opposition.

EDIT: If you throw in their predictions of Carlton being a top 8 side and the Kangas finishing top 4 they really look about as stupid as a hampster eating a block of Lego.

Flogs on the Essendon board continue to complain about the Jetta tunnelling instant.

As soon as the eyes left the ball, he could not legally make contact outside a legitimate marking attempt.

That's the way it's been ruled for years.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

You know what, I don't care even if they "did have the moral victory"
Its Essendon the cheats.
And if Leigh fisher had been completely biased to push us over we still get the points ( he wasn't ).

Quick one.

With Curran (Curren?) showing a hell of a lot as a tagger last night, does that free up Jones to play a ball winning role in his last few years? He showed in round 1 he's more than capable of it (albeit against Melbourne) but is there value in letting him run free and letting the young bloke take over the mantle as #1 tagger?

Quick one.

With Curran (Curren?) showing a hell of a lot as a tagger last night, does that free up Jones to play a ball winning role in his last few years? He showed in round 1 he's more than capable of it (albeit against Melbourne) but is there value in letting him run free and letting the young bloke take over the mantle as #1 tagger?
I am however a bit worried with CJ. In his first two weeks he was in our top five and we were saying how much his kicking has improved, now it seems he's tone back to his old style. I'm not sure what it is but if you have a look at the replay from the first few matches, his kicking is more fluid and he used a more "old school" or "bread and butter" technique. Last night, going back to his old kicking style, he guides the ball with his hand virtually all the way to his foot. This means he's leaning forward a lot more (so anyone who's played soccer will no) that it means the ball stays a lot flatter and doesn't go as high, which is causing him to not reach the invented targets and have the ball fall 1-3 meters short. Or slightly come off the side of his boot, hence just going wayward and in another direction.

We have so many quality young mids coming through that it's going to be hard for Jones to keep his spot I reckon. With Hayes, Montagna, Steven and Armitage coming back the pressure is on him to perform or Richo will pick youth ahead of him.

Quick one.

The problem is CJs disposal is very bad, if they would let you handball a goal he would be good as gold.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 5 Match Review: The Good The Excellent & the Simply Outstanding

Remove this Banner Ad

Back