Round 5 trades

Remove this Banner Ad

Double downgrade last week so have a nice kitty this week (450k).

Should I go Uber premiums or get a few underpriced premos? At this stage, I'm goin:

Lonergan -> Steven
S.Gray -> Z.Merrett

Should i be looking at bringing Hunter or Macrae. Either of those players top 8 material?

I know this isn't the rant section, but a lot of people have been complaining about how poorly there team's are going thus far. If this post is irrelevant, then feel free to delete it.

Anyway, a guy in the year below me who goes to our school is coming 29th overall in Fantasy. I keep an eye on the school leagues once in a while, and he has always been down the bottom, with a rank of around 90k out of 150k every season. I sent him a message saying how are you doing this well? He replied and said 'I don't know'. Looking at his team I've got to admit that he's been quite lucky. No Stef, Sam Mitchell captain, no Barlow, no JJ, no Sheridan/JLo etc...

I asked him what his recent trades were and he said that he traded a rookie who scored poorly to a basement price rookie with a green light. He also said that if one player scores poorly he will trade them out to a player who scored well. Even though this is a decent way to play, I don't get it. Isn't the right way to play, to produce the max $ rise out of your rookies, and hold you premiums, in hope that they'll do well?

I would love to fast forward to round 23 and see the team who won the comp. Will midpricers be I.e Zaha, Hunter, Hall, Merrett (borderline) all be in the top of their positions? I still faintly remember Kym's Klan team who won in AF last year. He had the 'perfect' team. He had a backline of Hodge, Mundy, McVeigh, Boyd, Shaw and Laird.

I am ranked 28k, yep 28k. Not the best. Yet I'm aiming on trading to the best premium options every week.

Over the last few years there has been carnage, but to put this into perspective, I haven't even reached over 2000 this year. Is it skill and planning for these teams or is did they get kissed on the d**k?

I'd love to have a crystal ball right now haha
You don't need a crystal ball to see what his side will be like in a few weeks. It will be a shambles. There is one key to doing well in overall rankings and that is starting well. Especially with the huge amount of people that play fantasy. If you start badly, you end up chasing your tail initially while the teams that start well continue to make huge steps forward as long as they have some idea on what they are doing. From there it is very hard to make up significant ground on the front runners, mainly because it is impossible to find enough PODS that will give you scoring power different to what the top teams already have.

Who needs to go first boys? Barlow or Sam Gray? I'm really stuck, I don't know what has happened to them from pre-season. Barlow seems to be playing forward again like he was last year while I'm not sure about Gray. Could I have some insight?

Who needs to go first boys? Barlow or Sam Gray? I'm really stuck, I don't know what has happened to them from pre-season. Barlow seems to be playing forward again like he was last year while I'm not sure about Gray. Could I have some insight?
Out of those 2, Barlow. If Port somehow manage to turn their form around, Sam Gray definitely should come good scoring wise, but Port are in a massive hole it seems. I'd give Gray a week or two longer.

Out of those 2, Barlow. If Port somehow manage to turn their form around, Sam Gray definitely should come good scoring wise, but Port are in a massive hole it seems. I'd give Gray a week or two longer.
Do you know if Sammy Gray is playing midfield? If so, he'll be the guy that I'll stick with for another week as he'll be more likely to turn this form around

What does everyone think of Ziebell?

Breakeven 53, 519k just had two massive weeks and is only in 1.5% of teams. A good POD?

They also have 4 games in a row at etihad coming up.

Appreciate your thoughts:
1. Sam Gray and Howe - Wagner and Merrett
2. SMartin and Howe - Goldy and Wagner
3. Sam Gray and Howe - Goldy and Wagner

Then who of Wagner, Struggles or Cameron to play on field

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So I have all of the top four, I also really want to get rid of Papley and Prestia.

I've still got no clue what I'm going to do, absolute carnage.

Lonergan and gray out for me. Backing on S. Martin to play.

One trade left for the round, would it be better for me to cut my losses with Menadue and downgrade to Sumner, Byrne or Lee who are all under 200k or upgrade Sam Gray to Zach Merrett.

Barlow -> Fantasia (Marcus Adams DPP) and Lambert -> Zach Merrett, this also leaves me with 136k, thoughts?

Lambert to Merrett is a good trade.

Unsure about Fantasia inparticular Classic, I've picked him up in some of my Elite leagues to handcuff as a ball winning defender into Dea and or Gleeson but I imagine his scores won't be consistent

I'm trading Barlow and Lonergan guys. Which option sounds best to you guys?

1. Zerrett (Zerrett will be captain) and Wagner, 168k itb
2. Daniel (Hall will be captain) and Fantasia, 145k itb.

I know that option 1 is the safer option but I feel that option 2 may have more reward. Thoughts guys?

Fantasia is a huge trap !!
The thing with a guy like this is that you need to determine if:
1. Their scoring is maintainable
2. Is their role and JS in the side secure
3. Was this player's score not out of the blue
4. Were you considering getting them before round 1, if so you're not basing it off a couple of scores this year, but also research from the past.

If Fantasia ticks all these boxes for you, then yes, you should back him in if you are getting him. However, if a player ticks less than 3 of these boxes, I'd err on the side of caution because they could easily burn you, or as you said, trap you.

Last edited:
One trade is going to be Sam Gray down to Wagner (switching Adams forward).

Trade 2 is still up in the air. Could be any of:

1. Barlow up to Merrett (20kish left)
2. Menadue to James Kelly (consistently 95+ and hope to gain defender status where he would be my pick for a top 3 defender).
3. Menadue to Dahlhaus (fallen premo but likely to go down again and only played one game out 4)
4. Menadue to Zorko (Nearly got him in a couple of weeks ago but I think I want to see another week or two from him. Although he's always had the ability to go 130 then 30 so 2 big scores in a row is a good sign).

Also thought about upgrading Sheridan but no backline premos stand out (have Laird and Shaw and not overly sold on Houli compared to my other options). Might hold him and hope to offload to a Kelly/Ellis type if they get DPP next week.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 5 trades

Remove this Banner Ad

Back