Preview Round 6, 2022: GWS v St.Kilda - Manuka Oval, Friday 22nd April, 7:50PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Giants

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Saints

Votes: 53 77.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our next two games are against GWS and Port Adelaide who have a combined total of one win.

To put that into perspective, Gold Coast have twice as many wins as GWS and Port Adelaide combined.

We’ve had a great run thus far, but I really want to see us put the foot down and assert some dominance in these next two games and bank wins while we can. We sure as hell have the personnel and game plan to do so. Mentality is the only thing that can stop us.

IDGAF that Greene is returning. Higgins just kicked 5 and Gresh is running around bursting out of the middle and kicking freaky goals. Butler’s applies forward pressure better then anyone else in the league and Long is an all-rounder. GWS should be worried about our small forwards rather then the other way around. Greene is a threat, a leader to GWS and a great player, but that shouldn’t get in the way of us beating them as a team against a team.

Plus Webster will return and between him and Paton we have some good back up for Greene and anyone else in that small fwd/mid role.

Marshall and Hayes take care of Preuss and Flynn. Although, Flynn did have 27 hit outs and a goal against Melbourne so that’s a bloody good effort.

Cant think of the top of my head who GWS’s main key defender is (Haynes?) but King will be dangerous as always. With Membrey and Hayes/Marshall to offer other options. Oh and Higgins, he’s a lead up forward as well, great mark.

Wilkie, Howard and Battle should be able to blanket their talls (Himmelberg/Hogan IIRC).

Sinclair, Hill, NVM, McKenzie to continue their hard running/delivery.

Between Steele, Crouch, Ross, Gresham, possibility Jones and Sinclair we should break even in the middle.

Although this is probably GWS biggest strength. I initially tipped them for top 4 on the back of Ward, Green, Greene, Whitfield, Coniglio, Taranto, Kelly, Ash (good tagger) etc. There are some weapons in there but, nothing we can’t handle. You can only have so many mids playing at once. And I think we beat them with our talls and quickness.

Friday night game is a huge platform for us. Last Friday night game we lost to the pies round one. Time to show we’re the real deal (and we’re going to have to keep showing that week in week out until it’s not even questioned). Go saints.
Sam Taylor is their Full back and a good one at that. Unfortunately their backline cant shine because weight of numbers has killed them. Generally a poor defensive record this year.

Sam Taylor is their Full back and a good one at that. Unfortunately their backline cant shine because weight of numbers has killed them. Generally a poor defensive record this year.
If we keep our structure and win contested ball like we have done. We should ensure their forward 50 entries are as poor as they have been.

That’s what’s killed the giants. Then clubs have slingshot against them all the way up the other end for a goal

I think it would be really exciting to see him do a Dusty and just bust the game open like that.

But realistically it means we are one short in midfield unless Jones comes in to try that for anything other then small periods.
If they are not coping with a hard tag, then we are one short in the midfield anyway.
It means that we rely more on Steele, Crouch, and Ross. ( Ross is going great , possibly due to a lot of the attention going elsewhere ).
We also have some options with the Likes of Higgins and Sinclair.

Meanwhile, on tagging, i wondered about big Jack Hayes, is it possible he could do a number on people like Cripps or Petracca? I remember when someone accused him of being "lumbering" someone else found GPS data showing he ran faster than nearly all the Saints.

Should win this with the form GWS are in. They have looked pretty woeful all season, not sure Greene back changes that
This

Need to start backing ourselves as fans, I know it’s hard due to how often we’ve been let down but the way the boys are playing atm as a collective over shadows any ins the Giants have

Greene is a fantastic player one of my favourites outside of St Kilda but let’s not pretend our defense isn’t playing fantastic and we don’t have two blokes in Paton/Webster who can at least nullify his influence

Again confident we will get the 4 points, even when we’ve been challenged in games and got behind we put our head down and go up a gear, let’s hope we put on a show this Friday 🔥

Billings looks like he's training there in the clip posted above.

Clark looks to still be in the non-contact fluro hat. Frustrating that his recovery seems to be taking so long. He's missed six weeks already and I doubt he plays this week in the VFL if he's not in contact training yet.

Have a look at the umpiring crisis thread on the main board. There is a shortage of umpires across most levels of football and one of the huge factors is the treatment of umpires by players and fans.

You say frustration is not abuse, but the problem is a culture of questioning every decision and expressing that. The game is already hard enough to umpire and there will be levels of interpretation, and if you watch closely the players question almost every decision whether it's correct or not (and most often it is correct).

I don't get why the players should have this right to throw up their arms at every decision, it gives the impression that it's ok to question and abuse umpires across all levels of football and if that continues we won't have umpires and thus we won't have a game.

If there's been a warning go out not to do it and then players do then they only have themselves to blame. It's not about respect for umpires, it's just about providing a safe working environment for them. Can you imagine doing a job where every decision you made someone you're working with threw their hands up in the air?
It’s across all community sports. Soccer has a good budding refs program. Most don’t want to give up a weekend for $100. How players treat the umpires on TV has **** all impact IMO. I did parent umpiring, it’s hard work and a long day. If the clubs paid more older kids might choose it over a supermarket or Maccas job.

Have a look at the umpiring crisis thread on the main board. There is a shortage of umpires across most levels of football and one of the huge factors is the treatment of umpires by players and fans.

You say frustration is not abuse, but the problem is a culture of questioning every decision and expressing that. The game is already hard enough to umpire and there will be levels of interpretation, and if you watch closely the players question almost every decision whether it's correct or not (and most often it is correct).

I don't get why the players should have this right to throw up their arms at every decision, it gives the impression that it's ok to question and abuse umpires across all levels of football and if that continues we won't have umpires and thus we won't have a game.

If there's been a warning go out not to do it and then players do then they only have themselves to blame. It's not about respect for umpires, it's just about providing a safe working environment for them. Can you imagine doing a job where every decision you made someone you're working with threw their hands up in the air?
I don’t think putting your arms up in the air is abuse. Yes umpiring is tough and decisions can be wrong. However football and professional sport is an emotional game. As I stated no one has a problem with stamping out umpire abuse but it’s not the same thing. I also don’t think throwing your arms up makes it unsafe for umpires. Equating the two things is not an accurate comparison.

The gws board has 2 bloody posts in their preview thread, at least good coast had a few pages. I like to read the other side to get a more balanced idea, but this is shit.
the general board has at least 5 replies.

If they are not coping with a hard tag, then we are one short in the midfield anyway.
It means that we rely more on Steele, Crouch, and Ross. ( Ross is going great , possibly due to a lot of the attention going elsewhere ).
We also have some options with the Likes of Higgins and Sinclair.

Meanwhile, on tagging, i wondered about big Jack Hayes, is it possible he could do a number on people like Cripps or Petracca? I remember when someone accused him of being "lumbering" someone else found GPS data showing he ran faster than nearly all the Saints.
He is far from lumbering and when he is at speed I doubt anyone could stop him , the only thing is he has the turning circle of the Queen Mary so tagging Cripps and Petracca is a big ask.
I would really like Hayes to eventually become our CHF , he doesnt take a backwards step can take contested marks and can smash packs.
When playing against Cripps or Oliver , Steele has held them before and if they were running riot I'm sure he could do it again and allow Gresham or Sinclair take over.
Ross has tagged before and did the job but when tagging the elite stars it really has to be worked out who is best to to the the job , like a guy like Touk Miller the guy has the speed so you would need to find the player who could match him , GWS had to put 2 players on him to take him out of the game.

ATM our midfielders are hunting in packs and are scrapping for everything and are over powering or wearing down midfield's.

I mean, unless I was watching the wrong game last night it was as clear as day by the footage that it wasn't the case in the first half

You can literally see Miller lined up on someone else at every stoppage while Windy is mostly standing on the other side on Lachie Weller
So apparently we can’t leave it…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched last nights’ 360 and Cameron was on. Talk about a deflated, defeated coach! He knows his days are numbered and said as much. When asked if he thought he’d be / wanted to be coach next year he basically said no.

We should really take this one. I know some are saying big game / prime time etc but it’s not a top of the table clash Melbourne at the G under lights, it’s a broken GWS at canberra
Saints by 31

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back