Preview Round 6, 2022: GWS v St.Kilda - Manuka Oval, Friday 22nd April, 7:50PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Giants

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Saints

Votes: 53 77.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was already pretty damning footage of most of their squad on the couch. Damage was done there, players were just letting guys run past them for handball receives while they just walked around doing f all.

Hope they bring that same spirit haha
If they do and press as high as they did against Melbourne, itl be another long night for them with how we are moving the ball at the moment and our potency down forward.

If they do and press as high as they did against Melbourne, itl be another long night for them with how we are moving the ball at the moment and our potency down forward.

I was a little surprised neither on the couch or first crack mentioned this. I would have thought we were near the pinnacle of gut running and out the back play. If we have our way in the contest I don't see them chasing down our blokes charging back towards goal

I was a little surprised neither on the couch or first crack mentioned this. I would have thought we were near the pinnacle of gut running and out the back play. If we have our way in the contest I don't see them chasing down our blokes charging back towards goal
Spose it’s because it was against Melbourne but it’s the same sort of style, I think we have a problem admitting we are good 😂 basically every stat in the book backs up we are playing really well at both ends of the ground, I get the hesitation to say it but we’ve got to go with what’s in front of us and at the moment that’s 4-1 playing great footy.

I think Friday night has the potential to get ugly for GWS if they don’t show up like we think they might.

I don't understand, I haven't really been following it but everything from the club over the weekend was that he wasn't going to play against the Giants. That info was out before the close contact news (if that broke today, again haven't had chance to look at it properly).
Ah righto

All I heard were interviews from Seb Ross and Brendon Lade saying that it was up to him pretty much and if he wanted to play he would

Big difference between dissent and abuse but the umps will take the worst view of it. A protected species.
6,000 umpires short around the country

Whether you agree with the "arms out" rule or not umpires deserve to be a protected species

Try being the one that has to find an umpire for under 18's at grass root level and you'll see why there's a problem

Won’t be long before a loud boo from the crowd results in penalties on field. What a joke
Some of the stuff I’ve heard hurled at players and umps so far this season likely warrants it …

… it’s far worse than waving of the arms after a contentious free kick.

Ah righto

All I heard were interviews from Seb Ross and Brendon Lade saying that it was up to him pretty much and if he wanted to play he would
Yeah heard those which I thought was a bit of an insinuation he wouldn't play but then Steele came out on Sunday I believe it was and confirmed it. It's an odd coincidence that a day later he's out because of a close contact. Perhaps they knew on Sunday and just wanted to keep it under wraps though, not sure.

Hes a much better player than Witts.

But both Paton and Webster have stopped him before.
Be interesting to see which way we go. He didn't dominate us last year, but he did kick 1.3 from 19 touches, so he wasn't far off from having a big day. Should be useful having both Webster and Paton to try on him depending on how it's going.

Big difference between dissent and abuse but the umps will take the worst view of it. A protected species.
Tolerance of dissent can lead to abuse… and young people umpiring games at local levels are getting assaulted while trying to do their jobs; it’s bullshit.

Umpires may annoy us from time-to-time, but without them there’s no game.

As I said, it’ll all settle down soon enough, but I think the idea is actually a step in the right direction, it’s just being followed too zealously at the moment.

Whether you agree with the "arms out" rule or not umpires deserve to be a protected species

Try being the one that has to find an umpire for under 18's at grass root level and you'll see why there's a problem
Thought you might bring up that recently released number as a reasoning and you and others will hang your hat on that. This stuff about umpires has been going on for at least 50 yrs that I know of. They were short then and they are short now. Has the game stopped? I umpired for one year eons ago, if you have a disagreement over a decision well get over it. I call bullshit. Get on with game and umpire it properly. The more your type keep "protecting" them the worse the umpiring gets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tolerance of dissent can lead to abuse… and young people umpiring games at local levels are getting assaulted while trying to do their jobs; it’s bullshit.

Umpires may annoy us from time-to-time, but without them there’s no game.

As I said, it’ll all settle down soon enough, but I think the idea is actually a step in the right direction, it’s just being followed too zealously at the moment.
People are getting there heads kicked in going about there business on a friday night in any town in Australia and they are not even at work.

That's assault.

Come up with figures on how many umpires have been physically assaulted , police called and charges laid in the past 12 months and then your talking.

Clark and Billings still 1-2 weeks on the injury list. Looks to otherwise have been updated.
Clark still in the fluro cap today so still non-contact training I assume. Frustrating that his injury seems to be taking so long. Listed as 4-6 at the time of injury. Been six already and I doubt he's playing this week if he's not in full training yet.

They'll see their parent raging about umpires and be less likely to want to do it. Like the cops teaching respect by beating up random kids on the street. It will kind of work to repress but it's not actually going to earn respect. If they want to attract bullies it probably works. An ex umpire recently retired said that player coach relations were excellent. It's a show of force by Scott.

People are getting there heads kicked in going about there business on a friday night in any town in Australia and they are not even at work.

That's assault.

Come up with figures on how many umpires have been physically assaulted , police called and charges laid in the past 12 months and then your talking.
With respect, that’s a ridiculous argument.

The number should, and must, be zero. It’s a game.

EDIT: you might also want to look up what the actual legislative definition of assault is…

And the raw numbers on the transition from police being called to charges being laid. It’s a long and involved process.

That's assault.

You do take things to extremes

I remember listening to a young girl (15) last year on SEN I think it was, She was in tears telling her story of being a goal umpire and giving it away because she had a spectator follower from 1 end to other calling her a F##king C$$$

Be interesting to see which way we go. He didn't dominate us last year, but he did kick 1.3 from 19 touches, so he wasn't far off from having a big day. Should be useful having both Webster and Paton to try on him depending on how it's going.
I'd start with Paton and then if it isnt working, we can always change it around. But the entire backline will need to be aware while also not getting sucked into his presence and letting their other forwards roam.

That's assault.

What?

So it's only an issue when umpire gets their heads kicked in?

What do the issues have to do with each other?

Yeah heard those which I thought was a bit of an insinuation he wouldn't play but then Steele came out on Sunday I believe it was and confirmed it. It's an odd coincidence that a day later he's out because of a close contact. Perhaps they knew on Sunday and just wanted to keep it under wraps though, not sure.
Given the reports of his mental health, the microscope on his return from the media has been pretty poor. Great news story that he returned to play, but constant media speculation is probably not the remedy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back