Preview Round 6 Changes v Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

You should've seen after the Rd 1 loss to Carlton - bunch of posters wanted the coach sacked and anybody over 29 to be dropped to VFL. It's probably the same for you guys when if you lose, a whole bunch of posters come from nowhere and are just brutally negative.

Our whole gripe is that the State of the Game thing and the constant little rule tweaks that came in and stifled freedom (666, stand, ruck nomination etc.) only came in once we were actually good. Shit, we had 37 years of largely uninterrupted putridness - some rule changes to benefit us then would've been appreciated :)

I won't derail your preview thread - hope the Tigers can be competitive but if you guys play anywhere near your best then you'll be far too good. We've got a massive hole in inside mids and that's probably your strongest area.
We have posters who complain that we don't put sides away in the first half/quarter... like Carlton :drunk:

You should've seen after the Rd 1 loss to Carlton - bunch of posters wanted the coach sacked and anybody over 29 to be dropped to VFL. It's probably the same for you guys when if you lose, a whole bunch of posters come from nowhere and are just brutally negative.

Our whole gripe is that the State of the Game thing and the constant little rule tweaks that came in and stifled freedom (666, stand, ruck nomination etc.) only came in once we were actually good. Shit, we had 37 years of largely uninterrupted putridness - some rule changes to benefit us then would've been appreciated :)

I won't derail your preview thread - hope the Tigers can be competitive but if you guys play anywhere near your best then you'll be far too good. We've got a massive hole in inside mids and that's probably your strongest area.
The 'state of the game' stuff is a massive mess. I'm sure the game benefits from the odd rule tweak from time to time, given the way it is played is different to 30 years ago, but the tweaks seem to occur constantly on the basis of the 'vibe' without any proper review or input, they seem to come as a surprise to players and coach every year, and seem to adjust things that nobody watching ever identified as an issue. I think the AFL administration is a bit power mad or a bit stupid or some kind of combination of both. Or they persistently bend to whoever is the loudest voice in the media at any time (though I'm inclined to think that one is the other way around - the accredited media will cheerfully promote whatever the AFL's latest bizarre plan happens to be)

The 'state of the game' stuff is a massive mess. I'm sure the game benefits from the odd rule tweak from time to time, given the way it is played is different to 30 years ago, but the tweaks seem to occur constantly on the basis of the 'vibe' without any proper review or input, they seem to come as a surprise to players and coach every year, and seem to adjust things that nobody watching ever identified as an issue. I think the AFL administration is a bit power mad or a bit stupid or some kind of combination of both. Or they persistently bend to whoever is the loudest voice in the media at any time (though I'm inclined to think that one is the other way around - the accredited media will cheerfully promote whatever the AFL's latest bizarre plan happens to be)
The state of the game has been a constant discusion since well before Richmond were any good. Maybe their supporters just started paying attention to the media's talking points once they got decent. The AFL have been tinkering with the rules for the better part of ten years. It started with the interchange getting out of hand with Collingwood in 2010/2011 having like 120 interchanges and the introduction of the sub and the interchange cap. Ironically the biggest proponent of fixing the 'look of the game' at the time was Kevin Bartlett.

The state of the game has been a constant discusion since well before Richmond were any good. Maybe their supporters just started paying attention to the media's talking points once they got decent. The AFL have been tinkering with the rules for the better part of ten years. It started with the interchange getting out of hand with Collingwood in 2010/2011 having like 120 interchanges and the introduction of the sub and the interchange cap. Ironically the biggest proponent of fixing the 'look of the game' at the time was Kevin Bartlett.
Yep. This. It just creates the illusion that it is entirely manufactured to favour this or that team. I also think Richmond would have adjusted fine to new rules, as everyone else was obliged to. Their current issue is about important players getting older (no surprise) and valuable structural players like Prestia rarely getting on the park (no surprise there either).

The rushed behind rule changed in 2009 after the 08 GF. Plenty of iffy, spur of the moment changes made by the AFL. I think it's hard to say they particularly target one team or the other.

The rushed behind rule changed in 2009 after the 08 GF. Plenty of iffy, spur of the moment changes made by the AFL. I think it's hard to say they particularly target one team or the other.
Rule changes impact shit teams too. We were rolling with a centre clearance with two halfbacks storming in for numbers (Healy’s Demon Diamond or whatever) but 666 negated that idea, and probably suffered a bit from the removal of third man up since we had just added Jordy who probably could have kept up his value for a year or two in that function. You just have to adjust fast to cope. Maybe even juggle up recruiting strategies. We’re seeing more teams build their ruck stocks and benefit from more than one decent ruck with mobility around the ground.

I’m not a fan of the stand rule. It sounds silly for a start and penalises the man on the mark too much. The play on call can’t be made fast enough for the defender to have a fair chance.

The 'outside 5' for the mark is very loose from ump to ump. Sometimes it's barely a metre back from the mark so not really doing what it's meant to.
That said, I don't mind the stand rule overall. It's at least pretty easy to enforce, with pretty minimal grey areas and teams have adapted. It can allow teams to open up a bit more on offence with running past the man on the mark.

Wouldn't mind seeing the stand rule a bit more like the netball pivot. Hate when the guy feins the handball to get a step and then gets 50
That is pissing me off. It's not as bad as the dive for the free, but shits me pretty much the same

Can the stand be implied instead of said out loud each time - whistle STAND, whistle STAND, whistle STAND, does my head in over the course of a game.
Heaven forbid if you over balance on the mark and move cause thats 50, wave your arms too much thats 50, looks sideways at the ump, thats 50.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the stand rule, the constant crabbing on the mark was slowing down the game and was undermining the benefit of taking a mark.

TopKent is right though, a simple ‘one-step’ adjudication would put an end to this business of feigning a handball to get a 50, which is not what the rule was brought in for.

Out Tmac In BBB
Rule changes impact shit teams too. We were rolling with a centre clearance with two halfbacks storming in for numbers (Healy’s Demon Diamond or whatever) but 666 negated that idea, and probably suffered a bit from the removal of third man up since we had just added Jordy who probably could have kept up his value for a year or two in that function. You just have to adjust fast to cope. Maybe even juggle up recruiting strategies. We’re seeing more teams build their ruck stocks and benefit from more than one decent ruck with mobility around the ground.

I’m not a fan of the stand rule. It sounds silly for a start and penalises the man on the mark too much. The play on call can’t be made fast enough for the defender to have a fair chance.
Fair say the 666 took us a few years to adjust to after it came in, anti-Dees bias rule. Wasn't there some tweak to stop the Hawks putting a man on the man on the mark as well, cause that shit was ****ing ugly as **** before the stand rule came in too

I thought weid played alright. Given he’s younger than Tmac, and I don’t think having one or the other out there is likely to be the difference between winning and losing, might as well give him a run of games to see if he’s worth keeping around.

"Brown kicked five goals in the opening two games before sitting out the next three matches due to health and safety protocols and suspension.

McDonald (four goals in five games) and Weideman (four in three) have been solid as Melbourne’s key forward targets in Brown’s absence.

“Sam Weideman once again reminded us in the last two or three weeks that he’s a really capable AFL player, and really developing well.

“We’ve got some decisions to make in the next few days about what the team looks like, but ‘Browny’ is available,

“They’re all available,

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Round 6 Changes v Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Back