Round 6 experimental side

Remove this Banner Ad

Vass38

All Australian
May 31, 2010
Essendon
AFL Club
Essendon
As we are playing Gold Coast this week & Hirdy's already flagged there will be changes, Im wondering if we could see mass changes and some players being rested. Ive put togethor a team Id like to see tried out, but one that should still be able to comfortably account for the GC

IN: Dyson, Colyer, Welsh, M.Williams, Carlisle, Browne (debut)
OUT: Fletcher, Ryder, Stanton, McVeigh, Monfries, Heppell

Browne Hooker H.Slat
NLM Hardingham Dyson
Zaka Lonergan Melksham
Crameri Hurley Watson
Colyer M.Williams Jetta

T.Bell Hocking Howlett

Bench Hille Reimers Welsh
SUB Carlisle

Any thoughts on how this team would actually go against the GC? I reckon we still have enough class to get over the line and its not out of the question that we have several changes this week...

I don't think dropping Ryder is the way to go, unless he has a hidden injury he needs to find some form and this is a game which could really help him.

I really do not think Dyson is going to have a place in our side next year and it would be a waste to play him.

We should easily account for them but you can't treat them as a practice match, or we will lose. It's a good chance to get Ryder, Hurley and Hille into form, and we will need replacements for Heppell and Reimers. We should bring in Hibberd and give Dyson a run.

Experimental side? You're kidding?

Essendon finished 14th last year, don't forget. We're still in absolutely no position to begin experimenting and resting (unless absolutely necessary) players.

Gold Coast have just come off a very impressive win over Port Adelaide interstate. Something we haven't done on the road in over a decade and against Port Adelaide anywhere in seven years. Take them lightly and expect to get the shock of your lives. Young, fast, enthusiastic and confidence will be high after their first win.

Hope our players don't have the same "just rock up to the ground and we'll win" attitude as some of our Bigfooty posters have prior to this game.

Why?
Drop Monfries, possibly drop Slatts if Hibberd's right, Reimers into the 21, Paddy out. There's 2 or 3 absolutely justifiable changes right there without thinking too hard.
Why are we dropping Slatts?

Thought he was in our top 10 players on Monday.

Good luck on the game for Sunday, boys. :thumbsu: Watched you guys give the Pies a huge run for their money. Was rooting for you! :D

Not expecting a win from our boys this week, but hopefully our guys will again learn heaps when playing a quality side like the Bombers. Especially our new backs, with the potential absence of Bock. Harbrow and some young guys are really going to have to step up. Be interesting to see.

We've shown we're starting to gel, and playing another top side will be good for us for the following weeks. Brisbane, Adelaide, etc. Since you guys drew against Carlton, it will be a little easier to see how much we've improved. So long as we don't go down by 119 points. :eek:

It's odd. I think that the Suns are going to be doing some rotations this week, as will Essendon? Maybe the teams that play this week won't resemble the teams that played last week? ;)

Anyways. Good luck! I'm looking forward to the game.

Sorry if this was the wrong place to post. Couldn't find any other sort of preview thread.

Ryder to go into the ruck and make Fraser his b!tch again - might give Ryder some confidence back that he seems to have lost..

With Bock likely to miss (susp.), and Slapper Brown already out of the match - they have a very young backline, with the likes of Tape, Toy and campaigner. Hurley, Hille, Monfries should have an absolute day out!!

Unless I am mistaken, Bendigo have a bye this week. Therefore dropping players because they need confidence won't work, they should get plenty of confidence against GC!

Therefore I hope we don't make too many changes, or experiment too much..

And dropping Slattery? Hahahaha deary me...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We should easily account for them but you can't treat them as a practice match, or we will lose. It's a good chance to get Ryder, Hurley and Hille into form, and we will need replacements for Heppell and Reimers. We should bring in Hibberd and give Dyson a run.

Experimental side? You're kidding? Essendon finished 14th last year, don't forget. We're still in absolutely no position to begin experimenting and resting (unless absolutely necessary) players.

I agree with these views; there's no need to be dropping Ryder. Ryder, Hurley and Hille should stretch their defence, especially with Bock missing.

OUT: Heppell, Reimers.
IN: Hibberd/Browne, Colyer.

Why are we dropping Slatts?

Thought he was in our top 10 players on Monday.
He's a job player. Give him a job - Didak, Rioli etc - he'll do it and that is it.

Who does he go on v Suns? Doubt he'll go on Ablett, imagine McVeigh or Hocking will get him.
Would be the perfect time to bring in Hibberd who potentially offers a bit more.

He's a job player. Give him a job - Didak, Rioli etc - he'll do it and that is it.

Who does he go on v Suns? Doubt he'll go on Ablett, imagine McVeigh or Hocking will get him.
Would be the perfect time to bring in Hibberd who potentially offers a bit more.

Would have thought Slatts would be given the job on Matera.

Didak had his best game of the season ?

Maybe it was because he has been sh** the whole year ? even though he has been crap the whole year, it was surely not his best game.

Ok you can argue he had about 20 touches, but for me he had no influence on the game whatsoever.

Slattery played great for his first game back in the seniors.

Why?
Drop Monfries, possibly drop Slatts if Hibberd's right, Reimers into the 21, Paddy out. There's 2 or 3 absolutely justifiable changes right there without thinking too hard.

How do you justify bringing Reimers into the team? Showed on Monday with that pathetic 80m shot on goal that he still puts himself above the team.

:rolleyes:... not this again

Have a ****ing cry, I'm not even a Slattery basher. You Slattery guardians are getting a little oversensitive.

I don't think anyone could argue that he offers a hell of a lot going both ways.

He is a fantastic defensive player, the string of preseason games from Hibberd were heaps better than a majority of what Slatts has produced.

Slattery has been the second best option behind McVeigh as a small defender for a long time, atm we have McVeigh, Heppell, and Hibberd all I would prefer in the side. Looking forward Slattery needs to find something more than what he is doing now if we are to close the 5 goal gap on Collingwood.

I think slattery is a must in the team at the moment... Mcveigh isnt being used as a small defender any more thus the reason we need slatts. He keept Didak to one goal... Hibberd is a completly different player he is a running defender which we already have in heppell. If slatts can shut down the oppositions best small forward each week he should keep playing..

I've tried to steer clear from this thread as you could tell from the title just how silly it was going to be.

For christs sake people. THIS IS THE AFL and not the Calder Cannons.

Best team out there bar guys that are sore and about to ping a hamstring. You don't give a sucker an even break.

If you'd just woken up from a coma you would have thought we were still coached by Knights and lost the first 5 by 100 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 6 experimental side

Remove this Banner Ad

Back