Review Round 7, 2015 - Brisbane Lions vs Port

Who were your five best players for the round 7 game against Port?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

How glorious is Monday after that win! Saw a few people around town today with Lions hats, membership lanyards all walking with a spring in their step.

I only made it to the game just after half time (devastated that I missed Brion) ... but what I saw it was like watching a different team. The intensity was ferocious. It was great to see, and surely Leppa can use a win like that to drive home that this level is what is required every game, every quarter, every contest.

I was pleasantly surprised by the 15k+ crowd as that time-slot is just the worst. Some of the group I sit with are from out of town so its a massive effort to go knowing you won't be home till midnight, with work the next day.

The faithful Lions supporters turned up and were well rewarded.

Covered a bit of the game on 360. Mostly how poor Port have been relative to them being 1 kick off the GF last year. Robbo did stick up for us though saying our pressure/tackling was elite.

'WHAT'S WRONG WITH PORT?"

...aaand the Lions won during the same game.

Love it. Knew something along those lines would be coming...I suppose the media have to talk about something to earn their paycheck :$

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just mulling the stats again and Golby had one touch after he came on as Sub. Fair to say he WONT be playing next week? Claye or maybe Dawson to come in for him, and Cutler to Sub...

Seems a bit rough. He did quite well last week and I think was only left out this week for match-up, team structure type reasons. A defender's role is about more than disposals, he was the sub and the team won.

It would appear he is more or less held to together by strapping right now! Kids a star and brave as they come but he will no doubt enjoy the bye in a few weeks!

Please don't let him become another Jonathan Brown. Let him have a good career being a good player without breaking the poor lad.

Seems a bit rough. He did quite well last week and I think was only left out this week for match-up, team structure type reasons. A defender's role is about more than disposals, he was the sub and the team won.

Would you consider Golby above Claye for a best 22? Or Cutler above Beams?

I enjoyed Brownys commentary. Didnt think he'd do as well as he has so far. Real blokes style footy talk.

Thought Browny might be still too emotionally attached to the Lions to comment on our games without obvious bias.

But no. Whilst he no doubt still loves the club and the jumper, I believe he has been measured and reasoned, not to mention insightful.

Even stuck up for the umps once or twice when I thought he might be doing his 'nana.....unlike yours truly who thought we got stiffed by them again:$

Why did port play bad?

Same stats as us almost, except they murdered us in the tackle count.

My assessment is we had a good day, they had (and have been having) a bad day. They had virtually no four quarter presence, just players doing it in fits and spurts.

They can be better, and so can we - I'm simply of the position that, currently, their best is still better than our best.

Patrons of the Numpty Questions thread may remember that I was asking about locations and sun etc before heading off to the 'Gabba on Sunday.

Here is how my night went.

1) Got there nice and early (wasn't sure of the route (did get lost but recovered) or the bus timetable etc) and got a seat right on the fence in Section 20 (thinking that it would be a better view of the screen) ... then realised that my advisers hadn't been kidding and I was going to surrounded by Port supporters and took made my first move ...

2) Took a similar position in Section 31. Had to resist the guy who was telling me that the first four rows of the whole section were reserved for a Lion's authorised supporting group called The Cage. He went and got a 'Gabba official, who ended up getting a Lion's official, and it turned out that they normally *do* mark seats as reserved for them but had forgotten to this time but it turned out there were only going to be six of them that match and since there were six seats spare to my left ... *sigh*.

The game finally began - and I couldn't see a thing. Now admittedly I don't have the best eyesight in the world but all I could see was blurry people running around mostly far far away from me and was having to look hard left to see the screen to see what was going on. In the meantime the fans to my left (who by this time had offered to let me join them (o_O) were screaming at any Port player who came near that they were either ******s or losers in-between snippets of Lions-clap-clap-clap and the Port guy behind me was screaming 'Kick it to Jay' *every* time Port got the ball.

So I start to wonder if there is a second level GA area and just before quarter time decided it was time to check out some other options ... having ticked 'sit on the fence at an AFL game' off my bucket list (had I had one and had it been on there...)

3) My wanderings ended up with me sitting about four rows from the back up in section 63 or 64 (somewhere thereabouts) and what a difference that made! I could not only see the whole ground (ok the far side still a bit fuzzy) but I could see the stuff that we just don't see on the TV - when the player had the ball I could see the people moving (or not) to get to where he would kick it and found myself anticipating where it would go next and being a bit thrilled when it did. Even though I was that far up / back I could still see the determination on N Robbo's face and hear the twack of a fisted/kicked ball.

I don't think I would go again to sit on the fence but there was something strangely appealing about being up where I ended up ... and being part of the crowd/atmosphere as opposed to watching it from the lounge room ... oh and yes I joined in on the LIIIIIOOOOONNNNNNS ... (and watched Brion's maiden inflation!)

Watching the game close to the field is a very different experience to watching it from above. I prefer it but, I do think it is a little bit harder, and certainly you lose probably a quarter (or more depending on eye sight) of the play.

Either give you a broader understanding than watching at home though.

A bit disappointed to hear that 'the cage' were a little bit precious, particularly in a game like this where it was obviously it was going to be a small crowd.

A bit disappointed to hear that 'the cage' were a little bit precious, particularly in a game like this where it was obviously it was going to be a small crowd.

Mmm it seems they have no right to be precious as their webpage on the site says "
Best of all -The Cage costs nothing to join - all you have to do is purchase a General Admission ticket here, find The Cage at Section 31, and come ready to cheer!

Dedicated passionate supporter group? And 6 turned up?
I had never heard of this section/crowd until the Richmond game and a drunk girl came up to us outside at half time, telling us what a fantastic 'organisation' they were. Oh, and how much she was enjoying her first ever live game.
Having now heard of them, I can't say I have ever noticed/heard them, and I sit in section 34.
We have an official cheersquad, and that whole end of the ground (probably most parts of the ground) has plenty of regulars (every game goers), so, not sure of the point of 'the cage'.
Given my family, and the family beside us (and many more), never miss a game, and sit in the same seats each week, it would be nice if we could reserve our seats. There would be about 30 people in sections 33/34 that always sit in our regular spots, week in, week out.
6, pfffft.:rolleyes:

As for the 'viewing' thing, each to their own Viceregal . They are 2 very different experiences. Like you, my eyesight isn't the greatest, and I would watch about half the game on the big screen. Sitting up in the upper levels, I actually found it hard to see what's going on, in detail, but you do get a better overview of the 'whole field' goings on.
I like the closeness to the ground and the players. I must admit, I also enjoy 'high fiving' the players after a win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 7, 2015 - Brisbane Lions vs Port

Back