Preview Round 7, 2019: GWS v St.Kilda - Manuka Oval, Saturday 4th May, 1:45PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Giants

Votes: 62 73.8%
  • Saints

Votes: 22 26.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
EwlahT9.png

Preview
GWS v St.Kilda

769849_thumb.jpg

St.Kilda's wonderful start to the year hit its first roadblock, and after starting well against the Crows last Saturday afternoon, Adelaide gained ascendancy before half time and went on to win by 29 points.

As for the Giants, they continue their winning ways, this time in the Sydney derby - kicking away from the Swans after half time to win by a comfortable 41 points.

Let’s have a look at possible best 22s:

St.Kilda Best 22
B:
Jimmy Webster, Nathan Brown, Shane Savage
HB: Callum Wilkie, Josh Battle, Daniel McKenzie
C: Hunter Clark, Sebastian Ross, Jack Newnes
HF: Jack Billings, Josh Bruce, Ben Long
F: Robbie Young, Tim Membrey, Jade Gresham
Foll: Rowan Marshall, Jack Steele, Jack Sinclair
I/C: Jack Steven, Blake Acres, Ben Paton, Matthew Parker

GWS Best 22
B:
Heath Shaw, Aidan Corr, Jeremy Finlayson
HB: Sam Taylor, Nick Haynes, Zac Williams
C: Jacob Hopper, Josh Kelly, Lachie Whitfield
HF: Toby Greene, Jeremy Cameron, Matt de Boer
F: Sam J. Reid, Harry Himmelberg, Daniel Lloyd
Foll: Shane Mumford, Stephen Coniglio, Tim Taranto
I/C: Brent Daniels, Adam Tomlinson, Matt Buntine, Adam Kennedy

Medical Room

[IMG='width:651px;']https://i.imgur.com/wQkhASt.jpg[/IMG]

For the Saints, Callum Wilkie came off under the blood rule for a head gash in the opening term. Jack Lonie looked in real strife after falling awkwardly and hyperextending his right knee with just under a minute left at the end of that quarter. Ben Long went into the rooms for a left shoulder issue but he returned to the field.

As for the Giants, Lachie Whitfield copped a corked thigh in the second term and while he played out the game with it heavily strapped, the star Giant battled to run and spent long periods playing as a deep forward. Sam Reid looked to have suffered an ankle injury late in the game.

Preview

[IMG='width:651px;']https://i.imgur.com/zpVykpt.jpg[/IMG]

St.Kilda had the opportunity on Saturday afternoon to end the round at 5-1, their best start since 2009, and after a fiery opening quarter the Saints couldn't maintain their manic pressure as the Crows began to take control of the contest. For those who weren't watching the game, it seemed like the game maintained it's three goal margin and was within reach for St.Kilda, but ultimately the Saints were exposed late as the Crows stretched the lead to a game high 41 points before St.Kilda hit back with two goals in junk time to reduce the final deficit to 29 points. It sees the Saints drop to 4-2 on the season - still within the eight at the end of Round 6, but with plenty of work to do.

In a disappointing day for the Saints, 6th gamer Matthew Parker stood out above all others to be named the Saints best on the day. Parker electrified the crowd - kicking three goals from 10 disposals and taking two contenders for mark of the year.

Other notable performances included Shane Savage (30 disposals, 10 marks, 3 tackles), stand-in skipper Seb Ross (26 touches, 5 marks, 8 tackles) and Josh Battle (21 disposals, 9 marks, 4 tackles).

After losses to West Coast & Fremantle, GWS were looking to get back on the winners list as they traveled down the road to the SCG to face the cross-town rival Swans.

After taking a 5 point lead into half time, the Giants flexed their muscle in the second half - piling on 11 goals to 5 to run out 41 point winners. GWS have looked pretty strong all year, having beaten Essendon, Richmond and Geelong before last Saturday night's game.

With Phil Davis a late out, it was up to others to step up. Josh Kelly and Jacob Hopper combined for 64 possessions and 12 clearances, while Stephen Coniglio kicked four goals to go with his 24 touches and 5 marks in a best on ground display.

Potential changes

[IMG='width:651px;']https://www.abc.net.au/news/image/11002172-3x2-940x627.jpg[/IMG]

St.Kilda ruckman Rowan Marshall looks let to come straight back into the Saints lineup after illness sidelined him for last weekend's match, and new Saint Jonathon Marsh could make his debut for the club if Josh Bruce doesn't pass fitness tests during the week for a quad issue that almost kept him out last week.

Other notable inclusions could be Nick Hind, Hunter Clark and Luke Dunstan.

Key Match-Ups

[IMG='width:651px;']https://i.imgur.com/24AOQsa.jpg[/IMG]

Jeremy Cameron
One of the best young forwards in the game, Cameron doesn't just hurt you on the scoreboard but he gets plenty of the ball himself - last week finishing with 3 goals from 21 disposals and 8 marks. Cameron leads the Coleman Medal race after 6 rounds, having kicked 24 at an average of four a game - elite by any measure. One would expect a combination of Nathan Brown, Callum Wilkie and Josh Battle to take the star forward at different stages.

Josh Kelly
Kelly is one of the premier midfielders in the competition and showed just as much last weekend - the star Giant racking up 31 possessions to go along with 6 tackles and a goal. If Kelly is on fire the Giants usually win, so to say this is one of the more important match-ups for the Saints on Saturday would be an understatement. Expect Jack Steele to play a run with role here.

Tip

[IMG='width:651px;']https://i.imgur.com/jXhPHk1.jpg[/IMG]

It was definitely a bit of a reality check for the Saints on Saturday. After a really good couple of months we were comprehensively outplayed and there is plenty to work on. I feel as though the Giants are primed for a real tilt at a premiership this year, they have looked strong for most of the year and they are the only side to beat Geelong - in Geelong, mind you.

I won't bet against the Saints lack of effort on Saturday but I just think, especially at home, that the Giants will be too strong here and kick away in the end.

Giants by 25 points.

Thoughts?

Out - Lonie and Longer

In - Clark and Marshall

Young has been average at best at Sandy and doesn't warrant selection. We are better bringing in another midfielder and rotating Stuv and Gresh through the forward line more. Lonie has been one of our best avenues to goal so he will be a big loss. Gresh and Stuv both have the runs on the board to cause defence some headaches and actually score.

Out:
Lonie
Longer

In:
Marshall
Young

Kent very lucky that Lonie is injured. I have said it before but I still think he is playing too heavy.

I would love to play 2 x ruckman, but Longer is just far too slow in contests.

I cant wait until Winx starts playing so we can have 2 x geniune tall forwards up forward.

Out:
Lonie
Longer

In:
Marshall
Young

Kent very lucky that Lonie is injured. I have said it before but I still think he is playing too heavy.

I would love to play 2 x ruckman, but Longer is just far too slow in contests.

I cant wait until Winx starts playing so we can have 2 x geniune tall forwards up forward.
Kent was very poor today, 5 bad games out of 6 time to find consistent form at Sandy

Kent was very poor today, 5 bad games out of 6 time to find consistent form at Sandy

Agree but the Issue is who replaces him that is going to give us more. I dont think Rice is a change up. I doubt Richo will make that many changes.

Just watching GWS now and there are no match ups for Nathan Brown who was poor today. Joyce would be a far better option for there tall forwards, but..... Its a shame Logan is injured and will miss the season because IMO we need to transition past Brown but Richo loves his older players.

Last edited:
Agree but the Issue is who replaces him that is going to give us more. I dont think Rice is a change up. I doubt Richo will make that many changes.

Just watching GWS now and there is no match up for Nathan Brown who was poor today. Joyce would be a far better option for there tall forwards, but..... Its a shame Logan is injured and will miss the season because IMO we need to transition past Brown but Richo loves his older players.
Brown had a bad game but has been good this season. He is important down back considering who we are already missing.
You can't be seriously thinking he is keeping his spot just because "Richo loves his older players".

Brown had a bad game but has been good this season. He is important down back considering who we are already missing.
You can't be seriously thinking he is keeping his spot just because "Richo loves his older players".
No, but he is lucky we don't have any other options
We need him at the minute but will be happy when we have better options

Richo has a history of not trusting younger players. Brown has been ok without being great, but what Ive seen of Joyce he gives a quicker more attacking option and would be much better match up against the GWS forwards.

Brown is experienced but he is far from a smart player. I think the game has moved past 1 dimensional defenders, hence the need to phase him out.

Just watching GWS now and there are no match ups for Nathan Brown who was poor today. Joyce would be a far better option for there tall forwards, but..... Its a shame Logan is injured and will miss the season because IMO we need to transition past Brown but Richo loves his older players.

With Gears out I doubt he’s dropping Brown, too much experience in an inexperienced backline.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richo has a history of not trusting younger players. Brown has been ok without being great, but what Ive seen of Joyce he gives a quicker more attacking option and would be much better match up against the GWS forwards.

Brown is experienced but he is far from a smart player. I think the game has moved past 1 dimensional defenders, hence the need to phase him out.
Yeah too bad he doesn't trust younger players like Marshall, Battle, Long, Parker, Hind and Paton...

With Gears out I doubt he’s dropping Brown, too much experience in an inexperienced backline.
Gears Robbo Carlisle out Brown is playing most games this year.
I still think we are a tall down back and forward most games so hoping both Joyce and Marsh get games into them this year

Gears Robbo Carlisle out Brown is playing most games this year.
I still think we are a tall down back and forward most games so hoping both Joyce and Marsh get games into them this year

At what stage is the injury toll that breaks the camel’s back?

We all know about the early injuries, but now both Gears and Lonie out long term are really compounding things.

As Scott Lucas said today, Lonie has become a real barometer of the side, and together with Gears is a huge loss.

At what stage is the injury toll that breaks the camel’s back?

We all know about the early injuries, but now both Gears and Lonie out long term are really compounding things.

As Scott Lucas said today, Lonie has become a real barometer of the side, and together with Gears is a huge loss.
Need more players to step up like Parker and Paton have, really hoping Clark and Coffield put their hand and Sandy having a bye is a PITA

Desperately need a mobile 3rd up front. Very thin in that department.
Having a decent 3rd tall forward will just make it so much easier for Bruce and Members and help separate the defenders so our fowards aren’t doubled and tripled teamed

Yeah too bad he doesn't trust younger players like Marshall, Battle, Long, Parker, Hind and Paton...

Kidding arent you? After watching Armitage etc chugging around last year.

He only played Marshall because he had to - both Pierce & Longer were injured.

Long & Parker are both mature aged recruits and are automatic selections.

Paton has developed well in his 3rd season. Got a game when McKenzie/Geary were injured.

Battle has been sensational down back, but I doubt very much Richo can take the credit for that?

Hind hasnt played AFL yet?

Kidding arent you? After watching Armitage etc chugging around last year.

He only played Marshall because he had to - both Pierce & Longer were injured.

Long & Parker are both mature aged recruits and are automatic selections.

Paton has developed well in his 3rd season. Got a game when McKenzie/Geary were injured.

Battle has been sensational down back, but I doubt very much Richo can take the credit for that?

Hind hasnt played AFL yet?
Sorry, not Hind. I meant Battle.

Anyway sure. Whatever you say mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back