Preview Round 7, 2019: GWS v St.Kilda - Manuka Oval, Saturday 4th May, 1:45PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Giants

Votes: 62 73.8%
  • Saints

Votes: 22 26.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah too bad he doesn't trust younger players like Marshall, Battle, Long, Parker, Hind and Paton...

Not sure about this post re Richo. Spotting talent isn't strong. He was only forced to finally play Marshall after Hickey traded out, Longer injured, Pierce poor, all despite Roma's dominant JLT. Same with Battle and Paton, only after other defenders dropped like flies. Parker isn't young he's 23. Hind he hasn't even played yet! Well there's Long, but he's inconsistent and hasn't set the world of fire.

Joyce had a very positive JLT and Rd1, but Brown was gifted a spot, not earned. It's a terrible message really.
Bruce playing injured over Marsh, again a terrible message.

We've done a lot right recently, but still haven't learnt in some areas. At least he's doing the right thing by keeping Armo at Sandy. And he did mention first tonight Dunstan might return... a great tough guy, but too slow, can't kick, and lucky to play 70% game time.

Meanwhile Joyce, Hind, Philips, White, Coffield, Young, Langlands, Marsh.... waiting for a chance

Kidding arent you? After watching Armitage etc chugging around last year.

He only played Marshall because he had to - both Pierce & Longer were injured.

Long & Parker are both mature aged recruits and are automatic selections.

Paton has developed well in his 3rd season. Got a game when McKenzie/Geary were injured.

Battle has been sensational down back, but I doubt very much Richo can take the credit for that?

Hind hasnt played AFL yet?
Wilkie, not Hind. My error.

Mature age recruits or not have look at the number games played.

All the players I mentioned are young in either accept games played, and Richo is obviously trusting them.

You blame him for picking Brown but not Battle. Does he only select certain players?

Is Armo still getting picked?

Anyway, cbf arguing with you this year.

Not sure about this post re Richo. Spotting talent isn't strong. He was only forced to finally play Marshall after Hickey traded out, Longer injured, Pierce poor, all despite Roma's dominant JLT. Same with Battle and Paton, only after other defenders dropped like flies. Parker isn't young he's 23. Hind he hasn't even played yet! Well there's Long, but he's inconsistent and hasn't set the world of fire.

Joyce had a very positive JLT and Rd1, but Brown was gifted a spot, not earned. It's a terrible message really.
Bruce playing injured over Marsh, again a terrible message.

We've done a lot right recently, but still haven't learnt in some areas. At least he's doing the right thing by keeping Armo at Sandy. And he did mention first tonight Dunstan might return... a great tough guy, but too slow, can't kick, and lucky to play 70% game time.

Meanwhile Joyce, Hind, Philips, White, Coffield, Young, Langlands, Marsh.... waiting for a chance

Brown was always starting 22. Joyce only got a look in because of Browns suspension.

Are you honestly suggesting that White, Coff, Young and Marsh deserve selection?

Suggest you go watch some Sandy games.

And who's to say none of those boys will get a game? Apart from White, none of them are even top 25 at the moment.

Yeah Paton got a chance through injury. Should be have played ahead of Robbo? That's just the way it goes.

Battle trained all preseason at CHB because the club knew that Jake was a problem.

Forget age. Parker has only 6 AFL games experience. Age has nothing to do with it in this case. 6 senior games = 6 senior games.

OUT: Lonie (inj), Bruce (rested/inj)
IN: Hind, Marshall

Don't want to play 2 rucks but if Bruce can only produce what he did today then needs a spell in VFL or to get his body right.
Hind in for Lonie and play on the wing. Might require some others to play fwd at times to make it work.
Think Kent holds his spot for one more based on Lonie's injury and the fact the VFL have bye so no one to put pressure on him. But last chance i reckon.

Brown was always starting 22. Joyce only got a look in because of Browns suspension.

Are you honestly suggesting that White, Coff, Young and Marsh deserve selection?

Suggest you go watch some Sandy games.

And who's to say none of those boys will get a game? Apart from White, none of them are even top 25 at the moment.

Yeah Paton got a chance through injury. Should be have played ahead of Robbo? That's just the way it goes.

Battle trained all preseason at CHB because the club knew that Jake was a problem.

Forget age. Parker has only 6 AFL games experience. Age has nothing to do with it in this case. 6 senior games = 6 senior games.

New season, Brown was never starting 22 when he hadn't even played yet! Joyce didn't deserve to lose his spot. How did Brown earn that starting 22 over Joyce?

On White, Coff, Young, Marsh.... any one of them, yes ANY of them would've been better than a totally ineffective Bruce today.

And I'm not suggesting they won't get a game in the future either. Just the season to date there's already been selection brain farts. It's not a perfect science I know, but the same mistakes being made over and over again.

Agree with Paton, taken his chance.

Not arguing with you here but a genuine discussion, I'd question whether Carlisle actually offers more down back than Battle does now? Carlisle would've been handier up forward today.

I'm not forgetting about age as that was your original point about "youth". But I know what you mean.

New season, Brown was never starting 22 when he hadn't even played yet! Joyce didn't deserve to lose his spot. How did Brown earn that starting 22 over Joyce?

On White, Coff, Young, Marsh.... any one of them, yes ANY of them would've been better than a totally ineffective Bruce today.

And I'm not suggesting they won't get a game in the future either. Just the season to date there's already been selection brain farts. It's not a perfect science I know, but the same mistakes being made over and over again.

Agree with Paton, taken his chance.

Not arguing with you here but a genuine discussion, I'd question whether Carlisle actually offers more down back than Battle does now? Carlisle would've been handier up forward today.

I'm not forgetting about age as that was your original point about "youth". But I know what you mean.
I'd say Brown was starting 22 because he is an established player whereas Joyce had only played 2 games.

Great to see Joyce improve.

I agree on Peirce.

My original reply was the assertion that Richobdoesnt trust young players when evidence clearly shows that isn't the case.

At what stage is the injury toll that breaks the camel’s back?

We all know about the early injuries, but now both Gears and Lonie out long term are really compounding things.

As Scott Lucas said today, Lonie has become a real barometer of the side, and together with Gears is a huge loss.
Agree. We were already hit hard in pre-season by the injury gods and they sure as hell aren't letting up now!

And to me, apart from the ones you mentioned, Bruce is a huge loss for us for a couple of reasons.

He's an experienced player who commands respect from the opposition and a top opposition tall. He also has a great tank meaning he runs his opponent up, back and around meaning, even if he isn't damaging himself, he creates space for others to lead into.

Then there is something he's improved on in the off-season and that's bringing the ball to ground in a contest. He's taken a leaf out of Jack Roo, he's making plenty of contests and bringing it down to our smalls.

Bruce is a really important player for us. With him and Rooey out last year, it's no surprise we struggled. Bruce is also a cocky and enthusiastic bloke who likes celebrating and makes his teammates walk taller.

That he looked a shadow of himself today was a big part in why we lost in my opinion, he's tough to replace for us.

I'm open to all options TBH. Hope so because he is also quick.

We just aren't kicking enough goals and our smalls aren't as productive as they should be.

Bruce / Skunk combo is fine if you have smalls to pick up the slack... We currently do not.
Richo said Marsh warmed up today and would’ve played if Bruce wasn’t deemed fit. So logically he’s next in.

We all saw today the value of Marshall , he is like another mid and as you see they need help.

This game today was our worst performance so far and if it wasn't for the loss of Marshall before the game and playing Bruce who wasn't 100% and Lonie going down at the end of the first 1/4 we would of lost by 29pts.

Not a killing really if you consider we never really had a winner on the field.

Next week we get Marshall back and Longer can go back to Sandy for the rest of the year.

The replacement for Lonie will be interesting , Lonie is a hard worker around the field it will be interesting who they bring in for him.
Do we bring in Hunter or a gut runner like Phillips or Hind, at least we have a selection of players to pick from now - Hind , Langlands , Marsh , White , Hunter , Phillips , Dunstan , Coffield.

Kent didn't have a good game today , but do you drop the guy after having a very good game against the Demons - I don't think so.

In all we had a bad day , our mids and our tall forwards had a shocker and after the first 5 games it could of been expected we have a bad one.

I expect a big response against GWS even though I rate them one of the best 3 sides in the AFL at the moment.

It's not the end of the world - even though it feels like it - we have one of the youngest squads and they have shown we can match most teams and it is exciting because we are getting to see more of our talent get put into the team - I feel when Marsh is right to go he will be in our best 22 and Hopefully Carlisle , Hannebery , Geary will be back sooner or later because they will make a very big difference to the side.

Having these guys in the side today would of fixed many problems.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Paton has developed well in his 3rd season. Got a game when McKenzie/Geary were injured.

Battle has been sensational down back, but I doubt very much Richo can take the credit for that?

Haha

In a sadistic way I wanna see Longer retain his spot so we can see Longer vs Mummy. It’s got a bit of Tank Abbot vs Dan “the beast” Severn about it. Should be fun to watch.

Get your rocks off some other way. Please not let us watch longer again. Pretty please

Lonie, Longer and Kent for Clark, Marshall and Hind. Joyce for Bruce if he isn't fit and Battle to go forward.

Some will say it's too soon to drop Kent after a good game last week, but he has been terrible 5 weeks out of 6. Last week a Melbourne poster wrote that eventually saints fans will wake up to the fact that Kent is a very ordinary player who plays a good game every 2 months, and on the evidence so far it seems he was absolutely right. No need to bring in an undeserving Young or Rice to replace them - Gresham, Billings, Clark, Paton, Sinclair and Steven can all rotate through the forward line and there are still 2 permanent small forwards in Long and Parker.

Lonie, Longer and Kent for Clark, Marshall and Hind. Joyce for Bruce if he isn't fit and Battle to go forward.

Some will say it's too soon to drop Kent after a good game last week, but he has been terrible 5 weeks out of 6. Last week a Melbourne poster wrote that eventually saints fans will wake up to the fact that Kent is a very ordinary player who plays a good game every 2 months, and on the evidence so far it seems he was absolutely right. No need to bring in an undeserving Young or Rice to replace them - Gresham, Billings, Clark, Paton, Sinclair and Steven can all rotate through the forward line and there are still 2 permanent small forwards in Long and Parker.
I believe that would 8 backs in the side. Not sure that’s the balance we want.

It was a joke. Longer should never put the jumper on again. But I think if Bruce is out Longer will retain his a lot with Marshall forward. I hope not but that’s what I think will happen.
I know and that’s why I said pretty please. If Bruce is out I still wouldn’t play longer. Reasons are this. Marshall is so much better than longer in the ruck. Battle is probably slightly better than Marshall as a forward. Joyce is slightly worse than battle as a back so it’s joyce in. Battle forward. Longer just does nothing to help the side. Last year it people saying longer is better than hickey because he gets more hit outs which leads to more clearances. Yesterday we got smashed in hit outs and clearances against an unknown ruckman.

We were terribly exposed on the inside which was most disappointing so Dunny and Clarke must come in!
Hope Bruce can get up! I'm sure he will be keen to against his old club, but only want to see him if he's fit!

Think we may well be in for a month of pain with the sides coming up. Which made yesterday all the more frustrating!
Desperately need Marshall back in over the Billy the anti Goat! Lonie will hurt too...Possibly Young but i would probably hold him off
for the home West Coast game and Carlisle can't get back fast enough! expect to see Marsh and and Hind soon enough as well!

What pissed me off yesterday besides all the usual bad kicking for goal and poor skills was our intent and lack of resolve!
Very 2018 like performance, we probably played about 1 quarters worth of decent footy! Appeared as if some got well and truly ahead
Of themselves and reverted back to bad old habits or simply just went missing in action!
The belief and confidence we had all hoped had bedded in, but sadly in typical Saints style old fragile and soft demons mentally
Reared their ugly heads yet again!

The makings of this year will obviously depend on how we respond? With undermanned resources and a serious dearth of leadership Still
My confidence and trust in this team is still far from convinced! Do we have what it takes collectively as a club to rise to the challenge
And grind out a couple of wins or will we once again revert back to that familiar free falling experience we all know too well?

We were terribly exposed on the inside which was most disappointing so Dunny and Clarke must come in!
Hope Bruce can get up! I'm sure he will be keen to against his old club, but only want to see him if he's fit!

Think we may well be in for a month of pain with the sides coming up. Which made yesterday all the more frustrating!
Desperately need Marshall back in over the Billy the anti Goat! Lonie will hurt too...Possibly Young but i would probably hold him off
for the home West Coast game and Carlisle can't get back fast enough! expect to see Marsh and and Hind soon enough as well!

What pissed me off yesterday besides all the usual bad kicking for goal and poor skills was our intent and lack of resolve!
Very 2018 like performance, we probably played about 1 quarters worth of decent footy! Appeared as if some got well and truly ahead
Of themselves and reverted back to bad old habits or simply just went missing in action!
The belief and confidence we had all hoped had bedded in, but sadly in typical Saints style old fragile and soft demons mentally
Reared their ugly heads yet again!

The makings of this year will obviously depend on how we respond? With undermanned resources and a serious dearth of leadership Still
My confidence and trust in this team is still far from convinced! Do we have what it takes collectively as a club to rise to the challenge
And grind out a couple of wins or will we once again revert back to that familiar free falling experience we all know too well?
Anti goat is very funny. Going to be a very tough 3 weeks.

Pierce got dropped for Marshall round 2, he wasn't injured.

Long a mature age recruit? He was 19.

This is Paton's second year not his third.

Why can't Richo take any credit for Battle? Can we only bash him when things go wrong but can't give him credit when they are going well?

I know and that’s why I said pretty please. If Bruce is out I still wouldn’t play longer. Reasons are this. Marshall is so much better than longer in the ruck. Battle is probably slightly better than Marshall as a forward. Joyce is slightly worse than battle as a back so it’s joyce in. Battle forward. Longer just does nothing to help the side. Last year it people saying longer is better than hickey because he gets more hit outs which leads to more clearances. Yesterday we got smashed in hit outs and clearances against an unknown ruckman.

I like it, hopefully the match committee are thinking along the same lines.

Yesterday the Crows exploited our strengths & dismantled our structure.

Clearances we were third in the comp. Adel thrashed us in this area. Hopefully Marshall returning somewhat address’s this.

Ball movement & transition was totally stifled & we couldn’t switch to create overlap. Big job for Rats to address this, it’s his area.

Ground ball gets in the forward & defensive lines. Bruce & Lonie injured didn’t help. I know you’re not a big fan but I think Young needs to come into the forward line for pressure & ground ball gets. I’d go Hind backline to address this & to replace Battle who goes forward. Brown, Wilkie to take Cameron & Himmeberg. Webster & McKenzie can play on a third tall. Savage & Hind run & carry.

Out: Longer, Lonie, Bruce
In: Marshall, Young, Hind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back