Autopsy Round 7, 2023: St.Kilda v Port Adelaide *WOOD 100TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Closer than we probably deserved to be. Boys looked cooked, the running stats on the tracker paint that picture pretty clearly.
port obviously had a system to counter us and being this close still, it feels like all things being even we'd be able to break through it and get on top.

Missed some very gettable shots which cost us. Lack of run and reverted to the classic bombing game which didn't do us any favours.

port modelling their game off the bulldogs with the amount of throwing going on, thought that'd be given some attention this week with the media around it but apparently four umps still can't see it.

Hope to see Windy and Bytel get a chance somehow, I suppose we'll have to wait and see how a few of the guys like Nas and Wilks pull up after being hurt. Or whether Lyon wants to continue with the Cordy experiment.

Port are a good side. We didn’t play our best. And lost by 7 points. 5 day break. Tough loss.

We are way ahead of where we thought we’d be. I’m disappointed but we fought all the way. Some polish and a bit of luck and we might have snuck it.

Hopefully we learnt stuff, make adjustments, and go again. Billings polish would be useful. King will be handy. Just to attract defenders. Our forwards were getting mauled today.

Not the end of the world.

Honestly, we looked like a tired team, and a tired team makes mistakes. Fatigue kills your decision making. While it’s hugely disappointing to lose, this doesn’t feel like a season-killer. More like a season-correcter.
I thought we had more guts than that. Yer the boys were buggered and not mentally strong enough to push through it.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

Game defining moment,

We have the lead, free in the middle, Steel plays on and gets caught. Now he had to know Port players were around him. Port end up goaling not long after.

Two goal turnaround.

I expect better from our captain.

Steele has not returned with the killer instinct he should have.

Won plenty of the stats, but delivery inside 50 the difference on the night. Port's foot skills were excellent, barely turned it over all night.

Lots of talk about King, but he won't help if we're just gonna bomb to the top of the square again.

Pato off the pace again, need Webster back ASAP.

NWM and Hill barely sighted after qtr time.

We played poorly.

Fumbly. Falling off tackles. Poor disposal. Shocking forward 50 entries.

The Battle and Wilkie screw ups cost us.

I'm not worried.

I'd love to have Coffield, Webster and King fit and firing.

Paton can go back to the 2's.

I'd love to see Sinclair and Owens in the midfield a lot more.

Gresh showing better signs.

Windy looked good when he came on.

We have options... just need to find the right balance/mix.

Last edited:
If there’s a positive.

We lost to a top 8 side, by 7 points, off a 5 day break (and a big gane to boot) with no true key forward, a few blokes underdone and playing comfortably the worst footy we’ve played this year.

If there’s a negative… didn’t we lose to port in similar fashion around the same time last year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah
Won plenty of the stats, but delivery inside 50 the difference on the night. Port's foot skills were excellent, barely turned it over all night.

Lots of talk about King, but he won't help if we're just gonna bomb to the top of the square again.

Pato off the pace again, need Webster back ASAP.

NWM and Hill barely sighted after qtr time.
Yeah stats look good for us. Eye test looks bad

We played poorly.

Fumbly. Falling off tackles. Poor disposal. Shocking forward 50 entries.

The Battle and Wilkie screws ups cost us.

I'm not worried.

I'd love to have Coffield, Webster and King fit and firing.

Paton can go back to the 2's.

I'd love to see Sinclair and Owens in the midfield a lot more.

Gresh showing better signs.

Windy looked good when he came on.

We have options... just need to find the right balance/mix.

Yep, pp against it in a lot of ways, played far from our best and still only 7 points. Not panicking yet.

Why should he be rested , it’s rubbish. He’s crashing packs and doing his job.
Nope. Don’t agree. And his missed goal was a lesson for him. He has a great drop punt, why mess with that?
Not blaming him for the loss, obviously, but his time on ground has reduced every game.
Why not rest him for a 5 day break and come back refreshed next week. We need to look after the kids.

Could've won and probably would've if we rested Poo for Billings and brought in Campbell or Sharman for Cordy. Whole team was fumbly and didn't cope well with Port's pressure. Still nearly stole it though. Good effort from Hill, Gresh, Owens, Wangmil and Marshall (even though he really should be giving us more of an advantage in the hitouts).

Cordy has played 7 games for 43 disposals. 6 per game

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 7, 2023: St.Kilda v Port Adelaide *WOOD 100TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back