Autopsy Round 7, 2023: St.Kilda v Port Adelaide *WOOD 100TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Case of our low i50 efficiency killing us. We usually whether the storm when we lock it in, had none of that, they transitioned easily.

Fumbles, soft tackles slipped, s**t field kicking either too short/long, pumping the ball into the nothing.

Cordy 1 touch, at the 10minute mark of the first and only because he was out the back alone. Don't give me structure, Wood impacted more in there the second he was subbed. Windhager was switched on, could have been handy a lot earlier. Yep we were winning games but if it was any other fulltime keyforward in the comp you'd say he's no where near it, never in transition.
Port pressure excellent tonight but if we make the most of our I50 entries we go pretty close to winning
Screenshot_20230428_223250_Footy Live.jpg

Can't have nice things, just can't and it's depressing.

If you're fatigued and not really going to be doing much, perhaps try and retain possession instead of fumble, panic, and hack a sky ball forward on repeat. That was just sad viewing.

Nucleus is there to work with, but come on can we just beat Port more than once this decade please?

Our midfield have been beasted the past fortnight. Need to shake it up. Windy MUST start next week. Drop Cordy for Billings. Pou sub.
The sooner King gets back so we can throw Owens in the middle the better

12 out of 15 contested again tonight

Get him in the Dusty role, centre clearances and drift forward

So I take it that it’s the Pou’s fault this week. Lol turn it up he doesn’t need a rest. What about Higgins missing out on the full. Steeles holding the ball to kill our momentum.

Not blaming him.

But there were suggestions that on a 5 day turnaround it might be good to switch things up.

Number of smug posters laughed at those suggestions. Well if we look at the evidence Pou had a fairly poor game. Could Billings have provided more? I'm not sure but odds suggest it would have been a possibility.

Yeah Higgins miss was poor. But I'd suggest that he has had runs on the board all year so far.

We were clumsy and probably a bit fatigued but the amount of dumb shit. You can get away with a few dumb moments from a couple of players but not a lot of dumb moments from a lot of players.
If I were to put that in a perpetual flow chart
Fatigued >clumsy>dumb>fatigued >…..

Previous years we lose that by 30.

Disgusted by the loss but buoyed by the margin.

We did literally everything to lose, played probably 2 players short and still just missed.

The year of exploration will have its ups and downs, however hard to swallow.

Rather than trot out the same old puddle-deep wank like sHaT tHe BeD, sAmE OLd etc I’d encourage us to look on the bright side.

Ahead of schedule. 😎
Agree, we played pretty ordinary footy but must thank the structure Lyon has given us for keeping us within a kick.

The tape review will be damning this week. Back to the Cho/Ratts days of blast it long and hope when we had the ball.

Owens is so impressive. Took some great contested marks. Thought Clark had an exceptional last quarter too.

The reinforcements are coming. I'd love to see Cordy out asap. Unless he's in the team as a key def I don't want him in the 23.

Pou looks like he needs a reset at VFL. Billings in.

Bytel deserves an extended crack at it. He would have been hugely valuable in this game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kind of summed the game up that Powell-Pepper shrugged Battle's tackle in the goalsquare to kick that goal.
They planned for us very well.. 2 short kicks from their behinds got turned over to goals.. 2 gimmy goals.. that’s from our most reliable defenders in Wilike and Battle.. They rattled us basically..

Philippou is cooked, can hardly run to apply pressure..

They also bullied us in the midfield easily and used their 2 big men in the forward line to perfection.. they know Howard and Willkie are undersized against Dixon/Finlayson, get a good entry in will be a huge advantage.. kicked a lot easy goals that way

Clark a good last quarter… but where the **** was in the first 3/4’s? Need a more consistent effort from him if he wants to play midfield.

Nope. Don’t agree. And his missed goal was a lesson for him. He has a great drop punt, why mess with that?
Not blaming him for the loss, obviously, but his time on ground has reduced every game.
Why not rest him for a 5 day break and come back refreshed next week. We need to look after the kids.
Why ? Because he’s playing a role for Ross. So was Steele three holding the balls or whatever and battles kick into the man on the mark. Higgins out on the full. Like seriously Also Billings isn’t ready he’s coming off a leg break and long term issues. He wasn’t ready.

We lacked energy for most of the night, we were 5-10% off our game. We just werent running on top on the ground, slow to react, fumbling and falling off tackles was not the same team as we've seen in other games. Some of our howlers were just fatigue and Port wanted it more. To lose by 7 points given how low on energy we were is a fair result. Its just a shame we seem to find a way to lose to Port consistently.

The boys get 9 days now to rest and reset.

Why should he be rested , it’s rubbish. He’s crashing packs and doing his job.
But he couldn’t chase. Was clearly stuffed.
Don’t take it personally - he’s got huge upside, but he’s a kid.
Got to look after him.

The sooner King gets back so we can throw Owens in the middle the better

12 out of 15 contested again tonight

Get him in the Dusty role, centre clearances and drift forward
Imagine when he drags a midfielder forward as his direct opponent instead of the second or first best defender. Will take contested marks and kick goals with ease

I haven't been this furious at a performance since.....well last year
Can't remember the last time I was so ****ed off after a loss. Last couple years under Ratten it was a given. I thought we had turned a corner but went back to our same old bullshit tonight and lost a game we should've won.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 7, 2023: St.Kilda v Port Adelaide *WOOD 100TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back