AFLW Round 7 - 2024 AFLW season (Tues 8th - Sun 13th Oct)

Remove this Banner Ad

Trying to envision a scenario where Jesse Wardlaw isn't All-Australian this year. It would take at least a couple of total morons on the selection panel.
Good point.
Thought Maloney was the most dynamic player on the ground yesterday and maybe bog. She really intimidates the def the way she moves.
But she’s not the most valuable player to Geelong.
Wardlaw is the best contested mark
and one of the best true forwards in the league. I think she’s the best.
If the thinking behind the league Best and Fairest shifted to The most Valuable player.
Wardlaw might actually be in that conversation.
Kicked over 30% of St Kildas score for the year so far nobody else is close to that.
Pretty impressive.
Might be the first to 100 goals the way she’s going.

Correlation between it being a below-average scoring ground and a below-average sized-ground? Maybe, but too many other factors (such as weather, coaching, fixture details, etc.) to be sure.
True.

My memory is that North Hobart has always been a high-scoring venue.

But digging a little deeper indicates there wasn't as much correlation as I thought

Do you guys think talkback radio will spend the week talking about how well Emelia Yassir played yesterday? Critical three-goal performance, hell of a teammate to have by your side in the trenches!

Something tells me the "leave politics out of sport" crowd couldn't give a shit about the actual football being played, and they would rather continue talking about a player who didn't even take the field this weekend.

North are very impressive. I just wonder if they are going to struggle in finals as the majority of their games their opponent has rolled over (a bit like Geelong 08)

I think if you just look at the scoreboard you can get that impression, but I don't think the scoreboard dictates how the game is played, we don't just rely on free flowing football. Take this week's game against Swans, it was a tough high pressure game, Swans laid 108 tackles vs our 93, they had 30 tackles in their forward 50, we only had 13 but. They had 32 inside 50s vs our 31. It looked easy because our I50 efficiency was 61.3% vs 28.1% but there was a lot of pressure in this game, it was difficult to move the ball with any kind of fluidity.

Libby Birch was a great inclusion for us, she is a really good defender, we have also had a number of the more fringe players of last year step up so there is more of an even contribution.

But you are only as good as your last game, I think the flag probably comes from one of Crows, Lions or us but you never know, someone like Hawks or Richmond might be in with a shot, but Hawks have only played one of the favoured contenders you will likely face and lost that game fairly comfortably. I think they have improved a lot this year but you will have to play really good teams week after week and that is a tough hurdle, one my own club hasn't got to the pinnacle yet.

Richmond similarly have only played one of the favourites as well, us. They were pretty good, conditions weren't great, but they lost that game. It was another tough game in tough conditions and despite the scoreboard I think everyone who plays us has to throw everything they have at us. We have to play all of the other likely contenders and the majority of the better teams coming up, I think this inadvertently conditions the favourites to do well come finals.

Whilst the H&A seasons is so... short, and a lot of clubs can get higher up the ladder without having to be tempered by fire, I think it makes them more brittle or susceptible to the week after week pressure of finals. The reason Melbourne is outside the top 8 and sitting on 4/4 is because they have already played Lions, Crows and North and play more of the better second tier teams. They will have a battle on their hands to even quality for finals but I would be more concerned running into them in the finals than teams that have filled the spots due to significantly easier draws.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW Round 7 - 2024 AFLW season (Tues 8th - Sun 13th Oct)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back