Autopsy Round 7, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Free Kick Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you've got it backwards. Ginbey isn't slow, but he's still learning to read the play. It's why he's second to a lot of contests.

I do think he's improving in that regard though, will have a big breakout game after the bye at some point where it will all click.
I'd really want Ginbey to be challenged.

I would have loved him to have run with role today with Matt Rowell and just tell him to shut him down. He is competitive and athletic enough to really hone his defensive side of the game and build on it from there. Then again maybe it old school way the game is played nowadays.

Haha! Actually, he said that he wasn't going to watch West Coast at all this year, but then he said that Reid in now makes us watchable.
As a highly paid (& incredibly hecking whiny & wimpish) member of the media with a daily show that is supposed to cover all angles (360 degrees) of the game I'd have thought you wouldn't be able to elect to boycott 1 of 9 games every round.
Irrespective of these comments he's made, I really don't like the bloke. The way he talks, and thinks he is the footy oracle, thinks he's so smart. Spew. I tuned out of AFL360 about a decade ago

+
Waterman 3 bags in consecutive weeks is proof he's arrived. Great to see
Maric I think has shown enough often enough to suggest he'll be a good player when his body matures
Hough is a real competitor & expect to play 200+ games

-
defense really got opened up in 2nd half
goalkicking - good by us but bad by them kept us in it. In general play they had us well covered
I think Chesser is a bust. Good young players have impacted games by this point far more regularly. Not every week, but far more regularly than Chess. darcy wilson for example is the athletic winger that is comparable, is 2 years younger, averaging 15 poss & 1goal/game. Maybe the wing role is not suited to him (admittedly he can look ok when he's around the ball, just isn't around it enough) but I just feel like good players - even young ones - find a way to impact more. Hope I'm wrong though

As a highly paid (& incredibly *ing whiny & wimpish) member of the media with a daily show that is supposed to cover all angles (360 degrees) of the game I'd have thought you wouldn't be able to elect to boycott 1 of 9 games every round.
Irrespective of these comments he's made, I really don't like the bloke. The way he talks, and thinks he is the footy oracle, thinks he's so smart. Spew. I tuned out of AFL360 about a decade ago
Spot on, talks as though he’s a 300 gamer, no idea where he gained the credence from those who revere his footy “insights”. 360 is one of the truly awful shows, it’s like it’s a competition each week as to who can dribble more sh*t. Lucky for him Robbo is a formidable opponent in this regard.

I'd really want Ginbey to be challenged.

I would have loved him to have run with role today with Matt Rowell and just tell him to shut him down. He is competitive and athletic enough to really hone his defensive side of the game and build on it from there. Then again maybe it old school way the game is played nowadays.
He did (Anderson) and was well out of his class. Ginbey doesn't appear to have developed the instincts of speed required. Will he, is debatable?

His best trait is halving contests he has no right to.

His worst trait is halving contests he should easily win.

Darling still has a role to play and works his backside off more than he’ll ever get credit for, but is now a more frustrating watch than ever because the fall off is so pronounced. I think when Flynn comes back, and assuming full health obviously, we’ll find our way to an Allen/Waterman/BWill tall trio, with Darling resting or playing WAFL.
I think a lot of people expect him to win contests that are actually not to his favour. Prime example being balls that are sat on his head resulting in a spoil. Anything sat on his head is not to his advantage in the slightest but it looks bad when he gets spoiled.

Mac Andrew in particular will have a field day sitting over Darling, his arms would be twice as long.

I still hope older players aren't consigned of their fate and are willing to work at their game still. If our ball movement improves I'd like to see Darling involved on the lead more inside 50, although that mostly seems like Waterman's domain with the rest clearing space for him.

I don't know if he can still jump at the ball like he used to, the fact that he hardly does leads me to believe he can't. But sometimes players are in a rut and forget what used to make them good.

funny how we took the piss out of the Freo board blaming umps last week but do the same thing here.

Umps were quick to call frees but our mids were obviously hyper conscious of Witts’s dominance and were worried about the Suns mids capitalising on that.

Suns stoppage/contested setup is elite - said it last year and it remains the same.

He’s been such a wonderful servant of the club, Darling. Maligned, sure, but you can never fault his work ethic or the impact he has on the side when he is up and about. Takes a lot of heat off our other key forwards by always being a threat.

Truly deserves our #2 goalkicking spot. He has had such a massive impact on JK, too. It seems so apt they are 1 & 2. Deserves to get to 300.
If Oscar can get fit then a 3 pronged fwd line of Oscar, Jake the snake and JD could be fun to watch and JD would surely benefit

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you've got it backwards. Ginbey isn't slow, but he's still learning to read the play. It's why he's second to a lot of contests.

I do think he's improving in that regard though, will have a big breakout game after the bye at some point where it will all click.
yeah he is tracking fine, people way too impatient.

funny how we took the piss out of the Freo board blaming umps last week but do the same thing here.

Umps were quick to call frees but our mids were obviously hyper conscious of Witts’s dominance and were worried about the Suns mids capitalising on that.

Suns stoppage/contested setup is elite - said it last year and it remains the same.
Freo never gave a contest to begin with.

We were well in the game at half time.

For me, it's not the silly frees we gave away but the blatant ones the umpires refused to pay for WCE and then just gave the most minor of things to GC.

Clearly directed.

Yeah agree - would rather we not complain about it. As annoying as it is when the frees we give away aren't reciprocated, the frees that were called against us were still there.

You get reamed by the umps when you're second to the ball and chasing the contest. Simple as that.

Last 4 weeks at half time:

Lead Syd by 5
Lead Rich by 19
Lead Freo by 37
Trailed GC by 3

v these teams at half time last time we met:

trailed Syd by 68
trailed Rich by 22
trailed Freo by 51
trailed GC by 50

Even the first 3 games of this year:

trailed port by 31
trailed gws by 39
trailed wb by 39

Reckon there's been a focus on starting well or it's just random?

Either way it's a positive direction we can stay in games longer.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah agree - would rather we not complain about it. As annoying as it is when the frees we give away aren't reciprocated, the frees that were called against us were still there.

You get reamed by the umps when you're second to the ball and chasing the contest. Simple as that.
The difference being we don't blame the umps for the end result. We can say we did dumb things that cost us goals AND the umpiring was terrible.

The unwashed believe the umpiring always causes the end result no matter how awful they play.

Missed the first half watching kids footy in the am. Might watch that this evening as it looks like that's where we were holding our own.

Third quarter we just seemed to lose our ability to move the ball out of the backline - looked a bit reminiscent of the Dark DaysTM - and we eventually wilted under the repeat entries and they kicked away to the winning lead. I'm not sure what was happening but our system broke down for some reason or another.

4th quarter was pleasing that we continued to have a crack. I was thinking we could hold our heads high, stopping the run on and fighting it back under 5 goals, but the red time burst from GC soured that a bit. I think Witts was probably the key difference over the match. He's just a huge lump of a man and kept momentum going GC way.

• Jack Williams. I really thought he stuck at his tasks and continues to look more comfortable at the level
  • Snake. He has hit a rich vein of form. Long may it last!
  • Flyin'. Just good to see him out there. Will be better for the run

• Sheed. Can we give up on this concept yet?
  • Our young mids didn't manage to fly the flag in Harley's absence. Went back into their shells a bit which I feared might be the case.

Probably about the result I expected in the end but winning feels ever so much better! Let's try and do that at home this week.

Game highlighted how tenuous our rebuild is, still quite a few AFL quality players short of a contending team. Chesser a long way off what you would hope for at the pick he was taken.

I don't think tenuous is the right way to describe it, more fledgling. If anything it highlights how short the attention span is of a standard AFL supporter and how fickle the AFL media is. After a couple of wins against average opponents suddenly all is swell again and we can forget about how much we stank in the first 3 rounds and over the past 3 years and we're on a linear upwards run. This obviously isn't so and it'll be more like small improvements with setbacks.

Still a lot of spots on the list that need to be addressed.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back