Autopsy Round 7, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Free Kick Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

The praise for HEdwards is well deserved. Thought he played very well.

Our disposal went back to rounds 1-3 for periods, I had to look twice as i thought JJones was out there with some of the sherrin butchery

Couldn’t watch live and just finished the replay.

Third quarter aside it was a pretty solid effort. Those 3 goals late also hurt shifting a credible 3 goal loss into dropping a game by 6 goals

Free kicks were bullshit. We did give away several ill disciplined frees that were genuinely there but there was also a lot of soft frees they got which we didn’t seem to get in similar circumstances. King was also paid two marks that he didn’t control for long enough imo

Negatives
• Centre clearances were dismal courtesy of an armchair ride from Witts and the men in green
• Simply couldn’t get it out of our back half in the 3rd quarter as the quick and daring ball movement from recent weeks dries up. Too many kicks down the line to a contest or, even worse, to nowhere in particular
• Too much left to too few with several players unable to make the same sort of contribution as the last 2-3 weeks

Positives
• Didn’t give up and kept fighting until the last 5 minutes where it was evident they had run out of petrol tickets
• All things considered, the defence held up pretty well with the amount of ball coming in
• Another 4 goals from limited opportunities for Waterman. He worked hard up the ground too
• Ryan got through the game unscathed. Had little impact unfortunately but should be better for the run
• Yeo had another strong game but weight of numbers through the middle eventually wore him down
• Rotham was solid again in defence and I thought Harry Edwards played pretty well for his first game of the year
• Petruccelle had some good moments through the midfield. Drifted out a bit too but he continues to show something
• Took the goal scoring opportunities that did present that helped keep us in the game
• Darling moved to second all time on our goal kicking list

Disappointing result in some ways and a bit of a regression from what had been some really positive growth

Need to make sure this is our floor as to what’s acceptable as we hit a tough patch of games against Essendon (h), Collingwood (a) and Melbourne (h)

We definitely lacked run in the 3rd, the game sort of played like there was a decent breeze. Flags said there was negligible and at the ground it felt very negligible (but tbf it certainly affected the ball on set shots). Struggled to clear the ball into it and didn’t work hard enough at times.

What to say about the umpiring, we got beaten up in the ruck and around the ball, but honestly GC were not good enough to take advantage of it without some very favourable decisions. Free kicks yes, but multiple very questionable marks and just generally gifting momentum for very minor infringements.

I thought Chesser was good at stages, Sheed was not when he came on.

Waterman is in Coleman form. Teams are going to have to start double teaming him, so we need our other forwards to take advantage and/or create 1v1’s for him.

Reid and Barass in helps, but games like this show what we need for the future also:

• brute of a ruck (hopefully Flynn)
  • another high calibre inside mid (Yeo + Reid looks great, but Yeo doesn’t have 5 more years)
  • accumulating wing or balanced mid
  • a few more role players (small backs and forwards)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The ruck was a big negative in this game as Witts dominated Williams. At some point the dam broke and that was in the 3rd quarter. Yeo was eventually worn down.

To many players had very little impact

A few positives though with the defence holding up well,

Impressed with Hough Waterman Maric and Petro

Really thought Brockman was gonna be better than he has been.

Saying that I was only going watching his highlights and that's the best of his best.

There's no videos of guys vanilla games.

Thought he could've been a sneaky crumber up fwd, was picturing fwd pressure and opportunities aplenty underneath Oscar and co

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't understand the repeated line I am seeing that Ryan will be better for the run. To me that performance is typical Ryan in a losing team, a performance that we saw plenty of in 21 + 22 and in 2 of his 3 games last year when West Coast struggled.

Nothing is ever going to change. You put him in a solid to good team like 2020 when Kennedy, Darling and Allen were playing great football he will get space and can be damaging. Against East Freo for some reason only known to Billy Monaghan he was allowed to sit across the back with no one near him. Next week against closer checking by Peel he was poor and looked like he didn't want to be out there which is exactly what we saw again today. That was also the story for the entire 2022 season with no Allen and Darling and Kennedy on their last legs he was targeted by the opponents and he physically and mentally could not handle it.

No team is going to let him run around by himself and he can't outmuscle anyone, he can outrun them and he won't outwork them. An easy target in a poor team and a terrible fit for a rebuilding team.

Robbed by the umps - disgraceful! That 50 against Petrucelle was mindblowing! WTF!!!!
Yeo was sensational again - some of the things he did, WOW!
Too many passengers today, still too many that shouldn't/wouldn't get a game anywhere else.
Killed on the outside, players still not running hard both ways - TK, looking at you.
Players like Sheed and L. Edwards are too slow for today's run and stun game. Maybe Luke may be a good back up, but Sheed, sorry mate - you don't run, you don't play. That should be the mantra for every player out there.

I really like Bailey Williams but sometimes when he gets towelled up badly I don't understand why he doesn't use his greatest weapon, his leap.

Maybe still growing into his body.
this!

Was similar with NicNat

Just leap the hell over everyone and smash it inside 50

I think the effort was there but there was too much fumbling and poor execution.

Don’t think we went into the game thinking it was winnable and it probably wasn’t.

The umpiring favoring the home team crueled us.

Outside of razor (who didn’t escape abuse) the other three were work for the dole umpires…

My brother in law found great amusement in my frustration that if they are gifted another goal from a free kick I’m out of there.
Only thing that kept me was the sights of the gold coast crowd….

The eagles fans definitely were the better looking today.

I don't understand the repeated line I am seeing that Ryan will be better for the run. To me that performance is typical Ryan in a losing team, a performance that we saw plenty of in 21 + 22 and in 2 of his 3 games last year when West Coast struggled.

Nothing is ever going to change. You put him in a solid to good team like 2020 when Kennedy, Darling and Allen were playing great football he will get space and can be damaging. Against East Freo for some reason only known to Billy Monaghan he was allowed to sit across the back with no one near him. Next week against closer checking by Peel he was poor and looked like he didn't want to be out there which is exactly what we saw again today. That was also the story for the entire 2022 season with no Allen and Darling and Kennedy on their last legs he was targeted by the opponents and he physically and mentally could not handle it.

No team is going to let him run around by himself and he can't outmuscle anyone, he can outrun them and he won't outwork them. An easy target in a poor team and a terrible fit for a rebuilding team.
Ryan will absolute outrun and outwork people. Getting back to game speed after over a year out.

The work rate critique of Ryan died a death after he was drafted and proved to be a tremendous runner.

We’re better for the best version of Liam Ryan in the side, and hopefully some more footy under his belt gets him there.

interesting thought.

You'll prob get hammered for bagging Ryan but I agree.

He's an icing on the cake type.

Feel like he rarely gets big tackle numbers either

Hasn't played for ages so hopefully he can build into the season and make an impact

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saying that I was only going watching his highlights and that's the best of his best.

Thought he could've been a sneaky crumber up fwd, was picturing fwd pressure and opportunities aplenty underneath Oscar and co

Brockman hasn't impressed me either

The other thing that needs to be looked at is what is going to be the forward structure. Allen + Maric are locked in and there will be a ruck option which will be either Jack or Bailey Williams. Waterman has earnt his spot as a 4th marking option. 3 small fowards in Petch, Cripps and Long. Are West Coast going to play Ryan as the 5th marking option and as the 8th forward.

That means 6 mids which worked in 2018 when the mids were all in their prime and were 2 way runners. Not so much now. As far as I see it Gaff is gone - Sheed, Darling and Ryan should join him. Focus on the young players and focus on team defence.

I really like Bailey Williams but sometimes when he gets towelled up badly I don't understand why he doesn't use his greatest weapon, his leap.

Maybe still growing into his body.
He tried but the issue was Witts was using his size advantage to just negate the leap, take possession and then used 15-25m handballs to get it out of the congestion to free players.
It absolutely killed us post half time.

To Baileys credit he adjusted in the 4th and that helped.
But Witts was a stretch too far for BBW.

Robbed by the umps - disgraceful! That 50 against Petrucelle was mindblowing! WTF!!!!
Yeo was sensational again - some of the things he did, WOW!
Too many passengers today, still too many that shouldn't/wouldn't get a game anywhere else.
Killed on the outside, players still not running hard both ways - TK, looking at you.
Players like Sheed and L. Edwards are too slow for today's run and stun game. Maybe Luke may be a good back up, but Sheed, sorry mate - you don't run, you don't play. That should be the mantra for every player out there.
The ball went out on the full and he punched it away, that's 50 I'm afraid despite the minimal contact.

Sent from my Nokia X30 5G using Tapatalk

Ryan averages 2 tackles a game which I think is a touch low.

He does however opt to bump a lot and will also abandon tackle attempts that he thinks will take him to ground in order to pressure the next ball carrier.

I think sometimes he will also try more of a strip tackle to get possessions.

I think he offers good defensive pressure, he's lightning quick (hopefully will be again one day) and can create havoc, but he definitely loves to bump or try an intercept more than tackle.

Wasn't a good game by him but hardly going to judge him on that.

Definitely the worst game I've seen Ryan play in over 12 months I reckon.

He's averaged 5 touches a game for the past year - must have unlimited credits.

Albeit a few years younger, Brockman is imitating the the previous number 10 including the filthy rats tail. That said he does have one or two real exciting moments a game. I think a stint in the WAFL might help him gain confidence

Effort was good.

Just lacked the skills and the maturity to work through what the GC system off ball. Carrying a few which became obvious when GC hit in the 3rd.

Williams well beaten, as was our midfield bar Yeo.

reverse score line to the bulldogs game, which makes a lot of difference but that 3rd quarter reminded me a lot of that game. Overwhelmed in defense.

Umpires inevitably didn’t cause the result, but boy they looked after Rowell today. Can’t even call it noise of affirmation either given there was barely anyone there.

You’re not going to win many games giving up 67 to 35 inside 50s, get smashed in the ruck and at clearances and complete a total of 6 tackles inside 50 compared to the oppositions 20… we just didn’t work hard enough to keep our limited forward entries in there…

I shuddered when sheed and Ryan both started at half forward at the beginning of the last quarter. There is two easy exit players ffor the opposition to use.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'd like to see Brockman out of the goal square more. Hes right up the ground, almost wing the majority of the game and while he does look good most of the time when he gets it, he is a low possession getter atm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back