Preview Round 7 - Brisbane Lions v West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as it's a lot closer to the first game against WC last year rather than the second then I won't be too upset.

But this could really be a season defining game. Sydney always belt us but we can match it with WC if we're on our game. Will be awesome to finally see Black and Moloney together in the midfield :thumbsu:

The magnitude of our loss this week will be determined at the selection table, by the attitude of our senior group and the commitment shown by our midfield. If Voss continues to select out of form players like McGrath while leaving Raines out of the side, if the senior players don't step up and if our midfield group is as insipid as they have been on multiple occasions this year, then we can expect to lose and lose heavily again.

Eagles by 40 points.

As was drummed into me when I was a tacker playing basketball - teach them how to play man to man first and worry about the zones later.

Our zone defense is terrible and we when we switched to man up last week we did better. With all the interchanges it is not easy to do but I go with man again and throw West Coast out of their comfort zone.

In the middle I think is where it will be won and I would give them all jobs.

Moloney to Priddis
Raines to Shuey
Redden to Selwood
Mayes to Gaff
Rocky to Masten

Athletically they are all pretty reasonable match ups and hopefully if they man up our midfield will not be the fast lane for ball movement it often is.

I haven't agreed with all of the selection decisions this year but I can't think of a single time where team selections have cost us the game.
I agree POBT. I've been watching football for the best part of 50 years and I really can't think of any games where a player was ommitted and that decision determined the outcome of a game.

I can, however, think of countless games when a combination of factors, all operating in unison, have worked together to ensure a side had lost. The reality is that almost every team in the competition will struggle to win if they are carrying out of form players, their midfield players, like ours against Footscray, Nth Melbourne and Sydney are completely outplayed by their opposition and their senior players are not leading by example. Sadly, this "perfect storm" of negative factors has been a feature of nearly every game we have played this year, which has meant that even when we have won, it has been hard to enthuse about our performances.

Probably not the right thread to ask in, but how do you guys think Lester will go against WCE? Feel he will continue to rack up the possies? I've snapped him up in my Ultimate Footy league after another good game on the weekend and was wondering if he would be worth holding onto? Haven't seen him play yet (Will watch the game this weekend) but his stats so far are looking good.

Probably not the right thread to ask in, but how do you guys think Lester will go against WCE? Feel he will continue to rack up the possies? I've snapped him up in my Ultimate Footy league after another good game on the weekend and was wondering if he would be worth holding onto? Haven't seen him play yet (Will watch the game this weekend) but his stats so far are looking good.

Check out the stickied thread for fantasy footy questions.

Check out the stickied thread for fantasy footy questions.
Apologies mate, didn't see it, will do, thanks :)
BTW, go Lions...I'll barrack for any team that plays against a WA team, nothing is sweeter than hearing all the excuses from my work mates!

I haven't agreed with all of the selection decisions this year but I can't think of a single time where team selections have cost us the game.
Though the actual starting bench may have contributed to poor starts. I'm thinking Beamer and Redden? in round 1 and did Billy get first go at ruck this week?
It looked as though a couple of times we have thought "start with these blokes and see how we go from there".
We must start our best players in their best positions at the first bounce.

Though the actual starting bench may have contributed to poor starts. I'm thinking Beamer and Redden? in round 1 and did Billy get first go at ruck this week?
It looked as though a couple of times we have thought "start with these blokes and see how we go from there".
We must start our best players in their best positions at the first bounce.

I can't remember specifically either but if we have been then this is spot on as initial pressure always multiplies. While nowhere near the same level and a different sport, I play a fair bit of indoor cricket and our team while not the best in the comp has the best record by a fair way. The reason? We put pressure on from the start of all games whether batting or bowling, which builds upon itself. Our best bats bat first to get a good start which quietens down the other side early. Then when we bowl its our best on at the start of every pairing, for exactly the same reasons. Confidence and momentum are very easy to build upon when you have them but are very hard to arrest when you're down on both, especially when you are inexperienced.

For me this week I'm not predicting a win but I do think that the extra space of the gabba will provide a little extra time and space that should help with improved disposal. We just ran out of time and spac a lot last week and weren't good enough to think through it properly and take the correct option. That slightly lower amount of pressure, perceived or not, will hopefully help us to be a bit tidier in our disposal, both in options and execution.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great preview Tom.

I have a feeling that Paparone will be rested this week, I dunno why I just have it. We need to have Leuy in at the ruck from the beginning, Longer is raw and will be good one day but up against Cox he'll get handled. Start well and we can win, start like we did against Sydney and it's going to be another long day.

Black will likely come in and I'm hoping it isn't for Lester because I loved the way he threw his body at every contest last week. He seemed to be the only one really going hard at the footy. I don't think a wide raft of changes needs to be made however if Black and Goose are fit they need to come in. Raines was unlucky to miss out last week, however I think we gained more in having Lester in there for the long term.

Ins: Black and Maguire
Outs: Clarke and Paparone

As was drummed into me when I was a tacker playing basketball - teach them how to play man to man first and worry about the zones later.

Our zone defense is terrible and we when we switched to man up last week we did better. With all the interchanges it is not easy to do but I go with man again and throw West Coast out of their comfort zone.

In the middle I think is where it will be won and I would give them all jobs.

Moloney to Priddis
Raines to Shuey
Redden to Selwood
Mayes to Gaff
Rocky to Masten

Athletically they are all pretty reasonable match ups and hopefully if they man up our midfield will not be the fast lane for ball movement it often is.
Couldn't agree more. Our midfield have been the root cause of our woes. Their poor first quarter efforts have put us on the back foot and put pressure on a very shaky defensive zone. Equally disappointing has been the slowness of our coach and his staff to react to the obvious need to understand that Plan A isn't working and it's time to man up (Plan B) until the heat has declined. The point is that Plan B should be our Plan A. That should always be the case for a young developing (proabably inferior) team whether it is basketball or football. I think you have those match ups 100% as required.

Good luck this week guys, Brisbane have always been my second team. Nic Nat will probably be your biggest worry as he has been tipped to play a full game and Wellingham may clean up his disposal after last week and may hurt you if you don't put someone on him. Unfortunately for us, Lecras is out of form and missing shots he would usually get. Kennedy in great form so watch out for him.

Good luck once again and I hope for no injuries.

Thanks for the preview Tomfc.

I am looking for so many changes this week that I wondered if I should be on the vent thread. I call it the first quarter syndrome.

Out: McGrath Cornelius Bewick Paparone Clarke (only if Maguire fully fit) Green
In: Docherty Lisle Crisp Karnezis Maguire Black

I would move Yeo forward with Crisp and Zorko to improve our defensive pressure around Brownie. Yeo is a great mark and good at ground level and will not let us down.

The midfield rotation options include Moloney Redden Rockliff Black Lester Karnezis Hanley Mayes Adcock Polkinghorne plenty of experience here. Sorry but couldn't squeeze Raines in but he would be stiff to miss out.

We can win this as long as we are within a couple of goals at quarter time. :)

FB. Golby. Goose Patful

HB. Docherty Merret Yeo

C. Hanley. Adcock. Karnezes

HF. Zorko Lisle. Mayes

FF. Banfield. Brown. Green

Foll. Black Luey. Moloney

Interchange: Redden, Rockcliff, Lester, Paperone.

Sub: polks

Key Points:
FB
Goose back holding the fort down back with a combination of run in Golby and versatility in patful around him.
HB
Docherty and Yeo to provide the launch pad off half back. Merret with his size and pace is awesome at half back
C
Hanley our best player in the centre to get the ball as much as possible. Karnezis gives us the X factor and Adcock plays a tagging roll who can still offer damaging kicks and run.
HF
Zorko and Mayes in the hf role. Gives us a combo of run and quality delivery into the forward line. Lisle deserves a shot. Let the big guy loose in the seniors. Back up ruck man also.Longer has a rest.
FF
Lets put genuine crumbers next to Brown. Banfield and green would provide this plus excellent forward tackling pressure.

Fol.
Black and Moloney for serious clearance quality around Luey.

Serious quality and versatility off the bench. Polks as the sub.

Berwick, Clarke, McGrath, Cornellius, Longer. omitted

Best of luck Saturday, hopefully no injuries.

Just FYI, the (most likely) changes from our GABBA clash last year are:

In: Kennedy LeCras Shuey Brown Wellingham Smith
Out: Lynch Hams Swift Waters Sheppard McGinnity

I see your changes, and I raise you:

In: Black, Moloney, Leuenberger, Mayes, Lisle, Clarke
Out: Rich, Drummond, Hudson, Polec, McKeever, Maguire

Dammit, you win this round. Some handy ins both ways though.

Good luck this week guys, Brisbane have always been my second team. Nic Nat will probably be your biggest worry as he has been tipped to play a full game and Wellingham may clean up his disposal after last week and may hurt you if you don't put someone on him. Unfortunately for us, Lecras is out of form and missing shots he would usually get. Kennedy in great form so watch out for him.

Good luck once again and I hope for no injuries.
Don't worry about Lecras.We have been playing anyone and everyone into form.

i think west coast will win by less than 40 points. brisbane will be ready for us. but we need to make the 8 so we must brush off struggling sides like the lions. however since it is their home turf they will fight back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back