Preview Round 7 - Brisbane Lions v West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to see Lisle get into the team. Hopefully he can hold his spot.

No Karnezis again. Hmm, even after winning the game for the reserves last week. Something's not right.

It is unusual. He didn't look at all out of place amongst the seniors this year and I thought he looked pretty impressive during the preseason. What happened between now and the pre season? He played a relatively unnoticeable game against the dogs, was sub and then dropped. Are they conserving him for the second half of the year? It just seems odd.

Rainsey's 50th game for us. :thumbsu:

& Black's back! :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu: Looking forward to seeing how Moloney & Black in the same team go to work.
ZyEpRxD.jpg

Interesting selections.

All of a sudden the Eagles backline looks almost absurdly tall. McKenzie, Schofield, Glass and Brown to play on Brown and Lisle, with Lisle likely to spend some time in the ruck.

Mitch Brown to the forwardline maybe? Not sure what else they can do.

Pretty good chance Black will start as the sub. Mayes would be the other option in his fifth straight game after debuting (is that a word?).

No Maguire makes things tricky. Patfull on the resting ruckman? Doesn't seem likely somehow. Merrett, with Clarke to Kennedy and Patfull to Darling? Still doesn't seem right. Maybe Lester on Darling?

NO Karnezis? He won the reserves game ffs. What is this saying about the selection team when Karnezis has been burning up the reserves when players like Green/McGrath/Yeo etc gifted games? Take Yeo for example... got dropped from seniors, played a week in reserves was ok not great and gets called straight back in... I'm all for Yeo playing in the ones but it was just a valid example. You have to earn your way back in, but it seems they are overlooking good form that can be translated into the ones.

Thoughts on the sub this week? I think it'll be Black, so they can ease him back into AFL footy.

While I'm happy with the changes, it's a bit concerning that there are a few players who have held their spots despite contributing very little to the team. I feel like Karnezis could offer a lot more to the team than Bewick currently is. Mind you, I love Bewick to bits, but just feel like he hasn't done enough to keep his spot in the team, even though he's listed.

Cannot wait to see how Black and Moloney will function together in the midfield. Hopefully Black doesn't ruck too much :p
With Black back in the midfield, I hope our other midfielders Redden, Rockliff and Polkinghorne don't hold back. I dare say the constant bombing to Brown will dramatically decrease with Black back in the team. His pin-point accuracy and experience will have a massive effect on the team, and I wouldn't be surprised to see this link up in play.

"..And the Lions rush it through for a behind. Great defensive effort from Clarke there. It's McGrath to bring it out for the Lions, beautifully measures the pass to Mayes who keeps running after Natanui misjudged the ball. He carries the ball to the half-forward line, one bounce, two bounches, dishes off a handball to Black, and Black, with his class oozing, delivers a lace out pass to Brown on the lead. Dare we say it, the best play of the day for the Lions this season? Brown goes back and slots it through the middle, and the Lions are in front!"

Comparing the ins and outs for either team, I would say West Coast is at a disadvantage at the moment with their better players missing this weekend. Just hope Black isn't utilised as a substitute after running 14km in the reserves last week. I would give the green vest to Bewick. Lions by 28.

Pretty predictable selections really. Ace will have to keep working hard in the reserves to get himself back in, while Paparone needs a rest. Will be interesting to see how Lisle goes in the ruck.

Also I wonder if they plan on using Lester in the forward line as a "third" tall or if he will still play that more midfield role.

Patty K wasnt named as a emg either........ CRISP named as a emergency .....AGAIN.
how many times has been named as emergeny

I think our midfeild actually should be able to get on top, the one mid from the wce who I see as the main threat is shuey, and I think rainesy should be able to really limit his output.

I would think JPatt would have to line up on darling, with merret on NicNat and with Clarke on Kennedy

there fowardline has class written all over it, and the main danger for me is LeCras, I know his kicking for goal has been wayward, BUT if he gets enough supply, he will eventually start converting. Who gets that matchup on LeCras....???????

Patty K wasnt named as a emg either........ CRISP named as a emergency .....AGAIN.
how many times has been named as emergeny

I think our midfeild actually should be able to get on top, the one mid from the wce who I see as the main threat is shuey, and I think rainesy should be able to really limit his output.

I would think JPatt would have to line up on darling, with merret on NicNat and with Clarke on Kennedy

there fowardline has class written all over it, and the main danger for me is LeCras, I know his kicking for goal has been wayward, BUT if he gets enough supply, he will eventually start converting. Who gets that matchup on LeCras....???????

Sounds like you want our Midfield to be a revolving door. Doesnt work that way, Crisp and Patty WILL get games this year, WHEN the club feels they are at the standard required.

The worst thing to do right now is throw both them into the fray while they are still young and have them not live up to everyones towering expectations and become the next targets for why we are having issues on field.

Thoughts on the sub this week? I think it'll be Black, so they can ease him back into AFL footy.

Highly unlikely Black will be sub after the drubbing Vossy got last year against the Tigers, and the flack he copped last week leaving him out. Black will be in the centre for the opening bounce.

Sounds like you want our Midfield to be a revolving door. Doesnt work that way, Crisp and Patty WILL get games this year, WHEN the club feels they are at the standard required.

The worst thing to do right now is throw both them into the fray while they are still young and have them not live up to everyones towering expectations and become the next targets for why we are having issues on field.

Agree with this sentiment but wouldn't Patty being pulled out early in the season from the seniors after having some great cohesion with our other mids be somewhat akin to a revolving door selection?

Agree with this sentiment but wouldn't Patty being pulled out early in the season from the seniors after having some great cohesion with our other mids be somewhat akin to a revolving door selection?

Thats only a theory, not a definite, there could have been a level set that the coaches wanted him to achieve in some way, and if he didnt, he would go back to reserves to work on that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would have thought that if there was one team we needed the Leuey and Longer combination, it'd be against the Eagles. Perhaps they figured Longer needed a spell, or that they wanted to promote Lisle but couldn't have all of Brown, Longer and Lisle in the same forward line.

Thats only a theory, not a definite, there could have been a level set that the coaches wanted him to achieve in some way, and if he didnt, he would go back to reserves to work on that.

Not really a theory, he did have strong cohesion with the mids and was performing well. As for the coaches having expectations that he wasn't meeting, that seems to be the case.

good to see the midfield were not held responsible ! nothing like consistency in selections

bad luck patty k , good luck Jordan i wish you the best lad , you are going to need it

Not really a theory, he did have strong cohesion with the mids and was performing well. As for the coaches having expectations that he wasn't meeting, that seems to be the case.
But that begs the question...what do they Lions expect from KARNEZIS? I honestly don't know how blokes like Bewick gets games on poor form... is that all they expect from Rohan??

But that begs the question...what do they Lions expect from KARNEZIS? I honestly don't know how blokes like Bewick gets games on poor form... is that all they expect from Rohan??

Couldn't tell you, I'm not privy to training sessions or conversations between coach and players but he was decent on the field so it stands to reason he either wasn't doing something asked.

Seems pretty simple really, Bewick plays as a 3rd tall/HFF while Karnesis is being groomed as a wingman/midfielder. People need to forget about Karnesis playing in the forward line as the 3rd tall, it seems pretty obvious through the team selection that he is viewed now as a pure midfielder.

In addition I think that Bewick's defensive pressure and endurance are the two things keeping him in the team at the moment, both things he has in spades over Karnesis (and Ace/Papparone who were also dropped). He is probably a bit lucky that Bartlett got injured when he did and that Banfield is barely pushing for senior selection, those two are probably the only real competition he has for his position at the moment.

EDIT: Probably worth noting that Karnesis is being held out of the team by Mayes run of good form as they play a pretty similar position. Again I would point this too Mayes elite fitness levels but I'm sure when his form or stamina require it we will see Patty return.

I would have thought that if there was one team we needed the Leuey and Longer combination, it'd be against the Eagles. Perhaps they figured Longer needed a spell, or that they wanted to promote Lisle but couldn't have all of Brown, Longer and Lisle in the same forward line.

Brown/Longer/Lisle together.. forward line will be like a dump truck in reverse once the ball hits the ground. Martin had the agility to run down defenders, Longer (super-sized version) seem to not have the burst speed off the mark.

Personally, I'm surprised too regarding the outcry of Karnezis' non-selection.

Using emergencies as a guide, across 7 games (including this week) Crisp has been named as the emergency five times. Ryan Lester has been named three times and then a plethora of players twice (Docherty, Longer, Karnezis and Raines).

Would have welcomed Harwood's inclusion, however, Golby and Yeo I suspect are keeping him at bay. Similarly, I'm equally at a loss to understand the rational as to why many are calling for Golby and Yeo to be omitted. I think the big difference or reason as to why guys like Golby and Yeo are regularly selected compared to say Karnezis or Harwood (who I would love to see back in the side) is that they perform their role and stick to the game plan. The one advantage I suppose they have over Karnezis is that their role is probably a little more straight forward compared to the role Karnezis is being asked to perform.

I think it was POBT that posted a graph of Dane Swan's games in the first four years and IIRC, Karnezis is tracking along similar lines. I just find I am getting very confused as to why the mass hysterics every time Karnezis is not selected and Golby and Yeo are selected.

In addition I think that Bewick's defensive pressure and endurance are the two things keeping him in the team at the moment, both things he has in spades over Karnesis (and Ace/Papparone who were also dropped). He is probably a bit lucky that Bartlett got injured when he did and that Banfield is barely pushing for senior selection, those two are probably the only real competition he has for his position at the moment.

EDIT: Probably worth noting that Karnesis is being held out of the team by Mayes run of good form as they play a pretty similar position. Again I would point this too Mayes elite fitness levels but I'm sure when his form or stamina require it we will see Patty return.

Yeah, I think that's a good call on Karnezis/Mayes.

Not too sure about Bewick's defensive pressure though. I wouldn't have said it was particularly good. His endurance is probably better than some of the others, though.

With Rich out we're missing a bit of kicking penetration, and I suspect that helps Bewick keep his spot. It's always good to have a few really long kicks around the forwardline. Opens up that part of the ground a little. I don't know if we're really getting the most out of him though, for one reason or another.

If he shirks a few marking contests then I reckon he'll lose his spot. No one wants to see that.

Not too sure about Bewick's defensive pressure though.
Has dropped off a bit defensively this year IMO. Late last year, he, Green and Zorko were really working hard to bottle things up in our forward half. I'm not sure any of them have got back to that level.

Good to see Lisle get into the team. Hopefully he can hold his spot.

No Karnezis again. Hmm, even after winning the game for the reserves last week. Something's not right.

Glad to see Jordan in, deserves a crack.
Needs to assert himself . Take the friggin game on.

Not to sure which game it was, but this stuck in my mind.
I had season tickets last year sat in section 29 ,and right in front of us Jordy had the opportunity to mark an incomming ball uncontested. All he had to do was a short 3/4 sprint to get to the ball on full, but shyed away at first and then moved too slow, ball hits the deck resulting in a turnover, as I said uncontested. Don't want to see that in a key forward. I realy hope he has the confidence to take the game on and make these contests. Go hard Jordy.

AS far as Karnezis goes , well I just hope he doesn't. Not going to debate it.

Won't be there for the game, but this game last year made sitting through the shit games all worth while. F.....g emotional is what it was.
Had a tear in my eye , never a prouder moment , and no one left after the siren, stayed for the boys to walk around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back