Review Round 7- Review/Rant megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I saw Brendan McCartney I would go up to him and point at him and say "You....you....you're good you. You're good you".

Just a bit of humor from Analyse This. Sorry I'm lovin the win. On a high.
Nah man, make it from Jerry Maguire, just point at him and give him the look.

Or "You are my inspiration for Kwah!" : )

however I must say. Higgins was ordinary as usual, doesn't do enough, and should be traded at years end.

:eek: I thought to myself well Higgins and Gia have kicked 5 goals today (should have been 6 when Higgins was legged) surely even there biggest knockers can't complain this week but here we are

Lots to like Ves out of backline is growing every week while his trade counterpart is sinking.

Lake, about 90% of bigfooty owe him apologies, he is back to his best, embarrassing that some wanted to trade him for whatever we could get 2nd rounder etc.

Wallis, calling it early will captain the club following Boyd and will be the better out of he and Libba despite Libba's eatly success

Griff 3rd BOG in a row, massively damaging

Picken, was in Harvey's head and had him beat within 15 seconds of match starting when he was complaining to umpires like a little bitch

Cross, courage, guts, and determination has a lot left to offer this team

Minson, showing what he has been capable of this year, as it stands now he is in the top5 rucks in competition

Cordy looks good. Plucks contested grabs, which is something we haven't had much of.

Lots of things to like, but I find it hard to get too carried away. I don't reckon North are in the top echelon of teams, and for all our hard work and domination around the ground, we only ended up winning by 3 goals.

Since Barry's gone, we're back to relying on small forwards to have a good day. We need someone - better still a couple - to be able to take a mark inside 50, go back and slot it.

We relied on small forwards in 2008 & 2009 which allowed the dogs to be one of the leading scorers in the league and got the dogs to consecutive Prelims.

Just need to learn how to kick to multiple targets again. Bring back the unpredictable forward line, the opp back 50 can't lay off anyone.

Look at the multiple goal kickers - Dickson, Guido, Higgins and a tall (Minson, Roughy, Cordy) to provide a contest when it's the get out kick to the top of the goal square and the ball hits the ground and the midfielders would be hitting the pack hard. And if BMac's mantra is contested possession, then the dogs would be frantic to get the ball out.

DEX

I'm a very happy man at the moment. Great win.

The midfield just continues to gel together and is playing some great footy at the moment. Loved seeing Cross kick a goal, he's always so pumped after it!! Picken did a great job on Harvey throughout the whole game, the backline was as solid as ever and the forwards played well. As other said, Grant doesn't do enough at all, he should have a spell and Dickson should hopefully keep his spot in the side.

I think we should persist with Grant. We are seeing second and third efforts from him so to me it's just a matter of time before it clicks for him.

Great win today awesome stuff but here are a few little things.

- Our forward line is still clearly not working, although it worked a LOT better today its not where we want it (should have smashed Norf today)

- I dont know about Roughead, Cordy and Minson all in the team, the way I see it is Minson is clearly first ruck, Cordy is better around the ground (Forward/back) and Roughead is more like Minson, so for now we play Minson and Cordy and when Minsons gone Roughy as first ruck and Cordy as back up.

-We kicked well into the forward line but there was just no one there that could take a mark (some of the time that is) I think we need to develop our forward line together, stick a specialst forward down there not Roughy or Cordy, so Hill. He has to be in with a chance soon, sit him at full forward and Jones at CHF and watch them develop together, could be a force in a few years!

- Thought Austin was good today, but he is not our future. I think Talia is probably just as capable at the moment and also has more potential so should get first crack. Again stick him there to develop with the rest of our young team, as he is our future.

but we were great today, very proud!

- Our forward line is still clearly not working, although it worked a LOT better today its not where we want it (should have smashed Norf today)

- I dont know about Roughead, Cordy and Minson all in the team, the way I see it is Minson is clearly first ruck, Cordy is better around the ground (Forward/back) and Roughead is more like Minson, so for now we play Minson and Cordy and when Minsons gone Roughy as first ruck and Cordy as back up.

-We kicked well into the forward line but there was just no one there that could take a mark (some of the time that is) I think we need to develop our forward line together, stick a specialst forward down there not Roughy or Cordy, so Hill. He has to be in with a chance soon, sit him at full forward and Jones at CHF and watch them develop together, could be a force in a few years!

- Thought Austin was good today, but he is not our future. I think Talia is probably just as capable at the moment and also has more potential so should get first crack. Again stick him there to develop with the rest of our young team, as he is our future.

I'm curious, do watch any VFL football to make thise calls of dropping players and nominating VFL players to take their place? I believe you still don't understand. WE DO NOT HAVE A SET FORWARD LINE. Bmac is still trying to figure out what is the best forward line to work with. Jones did not play, Cooney did not play (who also plays forward).

22 contested marks is pretty damn good compared to single figures for North too.

Hill has been injured too. Talia? I believe I'll take the advice of those who watch VFL footy that he does not deserve a game yet.

DEX

Actually I think the tactic of playing 3 rucks rotating against their two (who are two of the best going around) worked pretty well. When was the last time we beat them out of the centre?

Disagree about Austin. He has the makings of being a top class defender. His spoiling is exceptional (how many times did he get the punch in at the last second?), he kicks well and marks well and is pretty quick. He played pretty well against Collingwood as well. Kept Dawes quiet. He has done pretty well for someone who has hardly played the last 2 seasons.

IMO own problem is outside players with speed. We need 1 or 2 more though Sherman definitely stepped up today.

What to do with Jones? Dickson looks a much better FF based on today- maybe he could end up in defence.

Jones should be played as a leading forward who the half back flankers can kick to. Dickson/Guido/Cooney/Higgins should be the mosquito fleet making leads where all of them have to be covered by the opposition and a Tall (Cordy, Roughead, Minson) parks himself at the goalsqaure for the kick and hope.

Which means Jones has to work on his decision making and kicking or have midfield support running past him (hopefully Griffen or Dhalhaus) to make the decisions.

In BMac I trust.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dickson played from the square which seemed to work pretty well. Seems to have good instincts where to lead. Forward line worked much better than in previous games.

I must also mention, Pat Veszpremi. Loved this guy from day one, and his 3rd quarter today was first class. Loved his run from the backline, really gave us the spark that Wood gave us last week.

Rodney Eade should've played this guy round 1 last year, after he had a great pre season in the NAB games. Eade didn't play him all year, and now we can see what this guy can do. -1 for Eade, and the reason why I wanted him to go.

Absolutely love McCartney, hopefully he can bring us the success we've all longed for! :thumbsu:

Its an interesting difference between the two coaches. McCartney gives the new players plenty of games to settle in and get comfortable, where Rocket would give them 1 or 2 weeks and then drop them ....... much like many of the posters on here would also do too if you read their posts.

I like McCartney's style because his patience has seen the obvious potential of several players unearthed on the playing field. Notables so far are Vezpremi, Wallis, Markovic, Sherman, Cordy, Wood and Dickson. He has also gone a long way to unearthing Austin as a potential good player, has given Big Will the confidence to go to another level, and has nurtured Brian Lake back from the depths. I think we will see many other good players come out of our system now.

IN previous years, these guys went into senior games worried if they would keep their spot instead of having the confidence of getting on with their actual role.

I'm curious, do watch any VFL football to make thise calls of dropping players and nominating VFL players to take their place? I believe you still don't understand. WE DO NOT HAVE A SET FORWARD LINE. Bmac is still trying to figure out what is the best forward line to work with. Jones did not play, Cooney did not play (who also plays forward).

22 contested marks is pretty damn good compared to single figures for North too.

Hill has been injured too. Talia? I believe I'll take the advice of those who watch VFL footy that he does not deserve a game yet.

DEX

Yes... I realise we dont have a set forward line, but I dont think Roughead works, and thats why I think Hill should come in, also Hill has been out for one week (maybe two cant remember) and before that he had kicked something like 9 goals in a couple of games and was in pretty good form.

I just think a specialst key forward is the way to go, not a ruckman. Also just because we had 22 CMs doesnt mean they were all in the forward line, therefore that point means nothing...

I believe I will take their advice too and that is he is a great stopper his kicking just isnt completely right yet, has a lot to work with and has more potential.

During the game a little kid behind me said 'Look at the clock - it's 1.54!' [I had already noticed :p]
At one stage ours was 5.4 then 54 points and theirs at one stage 5.4
We won the contested possessions by 54.

Yes... I realise we dont have a set forward line, but I dont think Roughead works, and thats why I think Hill should come in, also Hill has been out for one week (maybe two cant remember) and before that he had kicked something like 9 goals in a couple of games and was in pretty good form.

Played yesterday???

Stats from the AFL website:

Clay Smith 18p 7t
Jong 17p (14handballs)
Hooper 12p
Skinner 10p 4m
Moles 8p 5t 1g
Panos 5p 4m 2g
Greenwood 8p
Redpath 7p 5m
Hill / Roberts / Mulligan - 9p's between them

It was Griffen's deliver into the fw50 that had a huge impact. Kicks landing in front of the goal square gave Sherman the opportunity to kick a goal.mFinding targets doesn't always come good, but when you weight your kicks to drop and not get too close to the goal line, it makes it harder to rush through for a behind

Also, don't head onto the North board and gloat about our win. That's a very bad idea and none of our mods will stand by your side for doing it.

Appreciate that we shouldn't gloat on the Norf board but allow me the indulgence of gloating on ours.

Here's a quote from some North supporter called The Daws of Perception. Posted yesterday:

"
They are shit, we'll pump them and I tell you what, I wouldn't have wanted some of you naysayers, begrudgers and Jimmy Crywolves beside me on the Kokoda Track. "

How SWEET it is.

I don't know if it warrants it, but to me this was a watershed game.

This is why I love the Bulldogs.

One on one. Consistently. Never Say Die. Fight Fight Fight.

Yes I've had a couple, but I really credit that win.

If they give this every week I would not criticize at all.

I love this club.

I can tell you there were a few happy larries after the game (I stood above the players race) and just quietly I think Macca was one - not smug, just happy. So glad to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back