Review Round 8, 2018 - Western Bulldogs vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against the Bulldogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Did anyone see channel 10 news Sunday night in Brisbane. The leader before the add break, "are the Lions getting any better". After the add and when they finally got to the story it went similar to , "Voss used it, Leppisch used it and now Fagan has worn it out as well, we are a young developing side". "With a 8 losses to start the season they are just one off their worst start in club history". That was it, short and sweet, and the footage of the match was Fagan's press conference. Wasn't good but we are used to about 7 seconds at the end of the bulletin in a non-AFL state.

Cutler has his Faults but he must have hit more targets inside 50 than anyone against the dogs. 7 inside 50s for 6 score assists. I reckon due to that fumble his game is being underrated a bit.

Cutler has his Faults but he must have hit more targets inside 50 than anyone against the dogs. 7 inside 50s for 6 score assists. I reckon due to that fumble his game is being underrated a bit.
I personally thought Tom was one of our better players although many punctuate his performance based on the odd error, which if we’re being honest, most players made their fair share.

I’m an unabashed Tom Cutler fan and sincerely thinks he has a huge amount of upside and X factor that is lacking on our list with the exception of Cameron and Zorko and even in years to come, Rayner, Bailey and Cox.

Liking that McStay has improved up forward with each passing game. Has presented, offered some pressure, got goals on the lead or over the back and with him there we have a target for our long bombs that will contest the ball and at the very least bring them to ground. Hoping he keeps improving and makes the spot his by the end of the year.

He has an attacking instinct and an ability to assess and find forward 50 options that we desperately need. Been solid every week since getting his chance. He shouldn't even be in the conversation for dropping imo.

Did anyone see channel 10 news Sunday night in Brisbane. The leader before the add break, "are the Lions getting any better". After the add and when they finally got to the story it went similar to , "Voss used it, Leppisch used it and now Fagan has worn it out as well, we are a young developing side". "With a 8 losses to start the season they are just one off their worst start in club history". That was it, short and sweet, and the footage of the match was Fagan's press conference. Wasn't good but we are used to about 7 seconds at the end of the bulletin in a non-AFL state.

And people wonder why commentary on old media is dead?

He has an attacking instinct and an ability to assess and find forward 50 options that we desperately need. Been solid every week since getting his chance. He shouldn't even be in the conversation for dropping imo.
Not to mention, like Cameron and Rich, which we’re seeing to a lesser extent these days, he is a genuine line breaking player with his run and penetrating kicking.

...yes, he did, but it was his first go on tv. I would think that is a bit different.

No..he's just callling the game and it 's not like he isn't accustomed to how TV works......He's quite an accomplished media performer. Having formed a strong relationship with Channel 7 for a few years now, He's done AFL broadcasts and programs such as Game Day and even the special comments player on Match day with Bruce....it was his first call on Fox

Who plays key back instead of him remembering we have Roughead, Gunston, O'Brien and Breust to match up on?
Well, that's 2 key forwards, a medium and a small. So chuck our remaining two key backs in Harris and Dizzy to the talls. Then you have Hodge, Robertson, Mayes, Allison... I'd probably give Allison a run on Obrien. Tell him to be more accountable, but i think it'd be good learning for him and he has the height. Breust - maybe Nick Robbo? That'd be a good battle to watch at least.
If that's the metric, Hipwood gave up more with his kicking.
No. Hipwood turned opportunities into shots on goal and failed to convert them. Irritating, but promising. Eagles took 50/50s and turned them into goals against. Dumb frees. Went to ground too easily. Lacked decision making. I'd have thought he needed to go back to the twos if he was 18 - he simply wasnt AFL standard. At 28, he either makes an impact immediately or he doesn't make it.

Watching the replay of the game confirmed what I thought at the ground - the Dogs got away with throws/flick passes at least half a dozen times. A couple absolute blatant throws missed by the umps. Richards threw a rugby pass out of one contest. Three umpires and none of them figured it out!

"Clever handballs" according to the commentators on Fox..... #throws

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, that's 2 key forwards, a medium and a small. So chuck our remaining two key backs in Harris and Dizzy to the talls. Then you have Hodge, Robertson, Mayes, Allison... I'd probably give Allison a run on Obrien. Tell him to be more accountable, but i think it'd be good learning for him and he has the height. Breust - maybe Nick Robbo? That'd be a good battle to watch at least.

No. Hipwood turned opportunities into shots on goal and failed to convert them. Irritating, but promising. Eagles took 50/50s and turned them into goals against. Dumb frees. Went to ground too easily. Lacked decision making. I'd have thought he needed to go back to the twos if he was 18 - he simply wasnt AFL standard. At 28, he either makes an impact immediately or he doesn't make it.

Breust is second in the coleman and you want to send maybe NRobbo to him? And Allison has been as bad defensively as Eagles.

No..he's just callling the game and it 's not like he isn't accustomed to how TV works......He's quite an accomplished media performer. Having formed a strong relationship with Channel 7 for a few years now, He's done AFL broadcasts and programs such as Game Day and even the special comments player on Match day with Bruce....it was his first call on Fox

Yes, I knew about ch7 and Game Day. Didn't realise he has been a commentator on 7. Must've been good, didn't notice him;)

...my bad. Cheers

Watching the replay of the game confirmed what I thought at the ground - the Dogs got away with throws/flick passes at least half a dozen times. A couple absolute blatant throws missed by the umps. Richards threw a rugby pass out of one contest. Three umpires and none of them figured it out!
And on the flip side of that, I thought Zac Bailey was stiff to pinged for the same thing in the third quarter IIRC which looked like a handball both at the ground and on TV.

I'm rapidly starting to be convinced we need a fourth umpire in order to have two on either side of a contest. Too often the umpire closest to the contest is unsighted and the other umpires are 50+ metres away.

I have watched the game a few times now. Before the match on BF we talked about being creative with our hitouts (eg long ones to advantage etc) to capitalise on Stefs domination. We did one first quarter which resulted in a goal. Can't understand why we didn't do more of it. Either this is a coaching issue or players not listening / executing. We have too many deficiencies in other areas to not capitalise on our advantages!
I am one of the most positive people on this board and think Fagan and staff have done a great job to right the ship but i think there is work to be done in our match day strategies just like their is improvement needed from our players.

Breust is second in the coleman and you want to send maybe NRobbo to him? And Allison has been as bad defensively as Eagles.
I could easily rephrase that to "Breust is second in the Coleman and you want to send Matt Eagles to him?" Robbo can run and has enough agility to keep up with someone like Breust. I think he's probably the best matchup we've got. You asked my opinion, I gave it. If you want to disagree with it, no problem - but now it's your turn to pony up. So who would you match to the defensive four you listed?

For me, Eagles showed he can't play small. He did OK on debut against bigger, slower types. I was happy enough with his game against the Pies - he bodied up and got to the ball in the contest. But every time he was in a 50/50 against smaller faster players on the weekend, he got obliterated. Breust isn't exactly Eddie Betts, but he'd be far too quick and agile for Matty Eagles. Breust also plays smart, and I think that is a weakness of Eagles. Eagles plays aggressive. No problems there. But he didn't maintain his discipline, got frustrated easily, and gave away really unnecessary frees.

Agree, Allison has struggled defensively. More a winger than a backman. Tough matchup though. Mayes probably a bit short. Maybe Hodge? O'Brien isn't super quick from memory.

I could easily rephrase that to "Breust is second in the Coleman and you want to send Matt Eagles to him?" Robbo can run and has enough agility to keep up with someone like Breust. I think he's probably the best matchup we've got. You asked my opinion, I gave it. If you want to disagree with it, no problem - but now it's your turn to pony up. So who would you match to the defensive four you listed?

For me, Eagles showed he can't play small. He did OK on debut against bigger, slower types. I was happy enough with his game against the Pies - he bodied up and got to the ball in the contest. But every time he was in a 50/50 against smaller faster players on the weekend, he got obliterated. Breust isn't exactly Eddie Betts, but he'd be far too quick and agile for Matty Eagles. Breust also plays smart, and I think that is a weakness of Eagles. Eagles plays aggressive. No problems there. But he didn't maintain his discipline, got frustrated easily, and gave away really unnecessary frees.

Agree, Allison has struggled defensively. More a winger than a backman. Tough matchup though. Mayes probably a bit short. Maybe Hodge? O'Brien isn't super quick from memory.

I'd play Gardiner on Breust, Andrews on the deepest forward. NRobbo or Paparone on the one that's pushing up the field and Eagles on whoever is left.

I don't rate Eagles at all but I don't think we have a better option when against a tall forward line so I'll give him one more week.

I'm rapidly starting to be convinced we need a fourth umpire in order to have two on either side of a contest. Too often the umpire closest to the contest is unsighted and the other umpires are 50+ metres away.

Umpires get it right a lot of the time, often you look at a replay and say óh yeah, it was there'after not seeing it in real time. Thing that gets me is calling the 50/50 ones (especially in front of goal) where they are unsure.

Either that or extend the duties of the 4 boundary umpires to officiate on field.

Umpires get it right a lot of the time, often you look at a replay and say óh yeah, it was there'after not seeing it in real time. Thing that gets me is calling the 50/50 ones (especially in front of goal) where they are unsure.

As Clarko is eluding to...the "illegal defenders block"!

Yes, I knew about ch7 and Game Day. Didn't realise he has been a commentator on 7. Must've been good, didn't notice him;)

...my bad. Cheers

Yeah...Here's a cryptic message from Bruce, congratulating Montagna on his first radio call.... refering to Montagna's past CH7 calls in horse racing terms...

“Hi Joey, its Bruce McAvaney from Channel 7," he said.

"Mate, I’ve heard your track work has absolutely been awesome. You’ve even had a jump out at Flemington.

"So I know you’re gonna have a lot of fun tonight. Good luck, can’t wait to hear it, all the best mate.

https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/afl/news/bruce-mcavaneys-special-message-for-joey-montagna

I'd play Gardiner on Breust, Andrews on the deepest forward. NRobbo or Paparone on the one that's pushing up the field and Eagles on whoever is left.

I don't rate Eagles at all but I don't think we have a better option when against a tall forward line so I'll give him one more week.
Fair enough - not what I'd do, but I'm not exactly a professional. Still think Eagles deserves to be dropped for effort and lack of discipline on the weekend, but agree it's tougher to match up this week... I understand why Fages kept him in for the dogs - it'd be rough to drop him after the Pies game, but still... He really didn't fit our needs that game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 8, 2018 - Western Bulldogs vs. Brisbane Lions

Back