Review Round 8, 2018 - Western Bulldogs vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against the Bulldogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a few things. One- how anyone can argue we are improving, or better than last year, is completely beyond me. We are 8 and 0. No wins. That's zero. Haven't won any. Nil.

And, from my reading of the state of affairs, stuffed if I can work out who we might beat. Sincerely hope I'm wrong. I don't watch every match each weekend, but what I do watch suggests we are the worst team in the comp by a fair margin. Again, hope I am proven wrong. Nevertheless, we'll still turn up every home game, regardless. Hope springs eternal. Another "miracle on grass"- please. Soon.

Re McStay- still trying to take mark of the year and bugger the rest, even goal kicking. I mean, who cares? It's all about moi- right? Re Rich- needs a serious talking to. Son, don't take your spot for granted. We'll be counting your bruises every Monday and if there aren't any look out. You're a senior- act like it.

Re state of the nation- watched the Tigers v Kangas game yesterday. Great game. Never mind the Lions. North are truly a busted-arse club. No dough, facilities woeful, etc etc. And there they were, with anything like fair treatment from the officials, might well have knocked off the reigning premiers. Have recruited well. The difference with the Lions? See second last sentence.

We need to do something urgently with our ball-handling. We are simple nowhere near adequate. Try something different- whatever we are doing ain't working. Someone asked me a question I had no response to- do we employ a psychologist? If we do- sack him or her. If we don't- get one urgently, with, as a priority, a chat to Hipwood.

Last observation- the Tigers tread a very fine line, often totally blurred, between fair play and unfair play. Prediction- it won't be long before there is a real backlash.

Harsh on McStay. The bloke was a defensive pressure machine in the weekend. 8 tackles and 16 pressure acts. 6 marks and 3 shots at goal.

Does we persist with Matt Eagles considering we have some solid performers in the ressies?
I liked Eagles. He is bloody hard at it, which we need in defence. One very costly blooper, but other than that I thought he was good. Sam Mayes could do with a bit more mongrel in him, maybe he can take a leaf out of Eagle’s book.

Regarding Eagles, a little bit of lee way is required for mine. We seem to judging him off his age rather than actual AFL level experience.

Sure hes 28 years old and a mature body, however, he has just played his 2nd game at that level (which is significantly higher standard than anything he has previously played) and his errors from what I can see are more decision making related than anything. Needs time to get up to the tempo.

Regarding Eagles, a little bit of lee way is required for mine. We seem to judging him off his age rather than actual AFL level experience.

Sure hes 28 years old and a mature body, however, he has just played his 2nd game at that level (which is significantly higher standard than anything he has previously played) and his errors from what I can see are more decision making related than anything. Needs time to get up to the tempo.

I'd only be tempted to give him one more game because the hawks forwarding is reasonably tall and could allow Gardiner to play on Gunston or Breust but unless we need two tall key backs I can't see any need to play him.

So he gets another week but probably doesn't play against the Swans unless they bring Buddy and Reid back in.

3-4 wks for me at least.......give the guy a real chance, because once he's dropped he probably won't get another go at the top level. That'll be it......but he will know he was given the opportunity to have a real shot at the big time.

I hope he succeeds.

3-4 wks for me at least.......give the guy a real chance, because once he's dropped he probably won't get another go at the top level. That'll be it......but he will know he was given the opportunity to have a real shot at the big time.

I hope he succeeds.

Might not be doing him much of a favour if like on the weekend there isn't a good matchup for him.

Eagles to Roughead and Andrews to Gunston, or the other way around... I think Eagles' running capacity must be equal or better than Andrews'. They also have O'Brien who can take a mark, so I think we need him this week.

Don't reckon he's on one chance though... Payne and Skinner could take a while to develop yet... I think Eagles will have 2 years after this one minimum.

4 after having had 7 against the pies. Surprisingly good tackler.

It's the go go gadget arms. Players think they are away from him and then the long arms slowly reach out and they're gone. We watched one on slow motion reply and it was hilarious in a great way.

The middle was a bit concerning. Beams was clearly struggling and we need more senior support there. Robbo was ok but not great and Christensen was down as well.

I said before the game we needed to tag Macrea and think that was clearly a mistake to not. He killed us and coaches need to look at that. Too many opposition stars kill us.

Berry and McClugg are both way ahead of the curve and doing amazing for their age. Bailey is showing signs and has some clear talent.

Rayner looked sore - might be time for a rest. Maybe time for Starc to get a run?

Martin and O were great in the ruck. I know the dogs didnt try and compete in the air much and focused on sharking the tap but they are one of the best in the comp at that. We did try and whack it around in different ways which was good to see - the dogs just a little too good there. That will again just take time to get right.

Good to see Zorko not get tagged out of a game. Some spark is back there. he and Charlie were both really good.

Going into next week I reckon Rayner and maybe Bailey could take a break or games in the twos. I could still happily see a tall player go out for balance reasons. Who is a tough question?

Think Keays and maybe Mayes could come in as well
I agree with much of your post... but if we need senior support, then Bell & Bastinac are the ones who have been putting their hand up in the twos. Either seems to me to offer more than Bundy at the moment. Given Hawthorn's forward height, I think Mayes waits another week unless he plays midfield or forward. Starc hardly bashing the door down, better to let him develop in the twos and give someone like Keays a go.

It's the go go gadget arms. Players think they are away from him and then the long arms slowly reach out and they're gone. We watched one on slow motion reply and it was hilarious in a great way.

It's interesting. Usually I'm not bothered by rucks not tackling because it usually means they give away a heap of frees but he's quite good at it.

It's interesting. Usually I'm not bothered by rucks not tackling because it usually means they give away a heap of frees but he's quite good at it.
He's quite good at a lot of skills... good scrubbing goal from ground ball get, slick handpass to Charlie that set up another. Will start to link-up play like Martin with a few more games under his belt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's quite good at a lot of skills... good scrubbing goal from ground ball get, slick handpass to Charlie that set up another. Will start to link-up play like Martin with a few more games under his belt.

Last year based off what I saw watching the 2s I compared him to Rory Lobb. I'm not sure he quite has that athleticism but he seems like a smart footballer.

In previous seasons we would have been flogged by 40 to 60 points after an effort like that. There's your improvement right there. We make fewer errors and convert a few of those in front chances and we come away victors.
I don't count "they played poorly as well" as a signal of our improvement. We lost by 14, and that's with 2 goals that were clearly touched. Really, I don't think there's any situation where we won that game. The effort simply wasn't there. When we aren't in danger of being blown away, we cruise. Can't win a first quarter, because we relax when we aren't under threat. When we had the ascendency, the bulldogs didn't have to focus on shape or control the ball or anything, our effort simply dropped. It's becoming a repeating problem for us. The players seem more interesting in not being blown away than trying to win. And always the same - if we play really well one week, the players cruise through the next. Challenge the power, relax against the tigers. Challenge the Suns, mediocre against GWS. Challenge the pies, and play pretty pathetic footy against the dogs.

If, for example, Hippy slotted his kicks like he normally would, we would've just slacked off earlier. I honestly don't see that we were ever really going to win that game.

There's definite improvement this year - I may not be sold on the long-term hope as much as many, but I think we are getting better. We're still a long way off though.

Quite good having Martin and Oscar in the same team. Martin probably only has a few years left and this experience in the same team as one of the premier ruckman will fastrack his development. He will be able to see what he needs to do and learn off him. This is what we need to help with Hippy's development but unfortauntely we don't have any1 to teach him.

Eagles should stay in to take Roughy. Keep him going as Andrews is in career best form and AA form atm. We were probably too tall on the w/e, however Hawthorn has a tallish fwd line. Would be really interesting to see Eagles vs Buddy if he is in next week

Starc not ready to come in, needs to bash the door down.
Out: Christensen, Rayner (rested)
In: Paparone, Keays

Last year based off what I saw watching the 2s I compared him to Rory Lobb. I'm not sure he quite has that athleticism but he seems like a smart footballer.

That comparison ran through my mind a few times on the weekend, and again when I was thinking about his contested marking. Lobb is much better around the ground and athletically, but Oscar uses his body and size much better - it feels like Lobb can get pushed around a bit for someone his size, whereas Oscar simply doesn't.

That comparison ran through my mind a few times on the weekend, and again when I was thinking about his contested marking. Lobb is much better around the ground and athletically, but Oscar uses his body and size much better - it feels like Lobb can get pushed around a bit for someone his size, whereas Oscar simply doesn't.

From what I've seen that's true but Oscar did get outbodied by Scharenberg in a contest last week but perhaps he his better than Lobb when he just sits under the high ball as opposed to when he can get a run and jump at it.

Does we persist with Matt Eagles considering we have some solid performers in the ressies?

Why wouldn't we?.....He wasn't Robinson Crusoe in the mistakes department!

Surprised so many want Eagles in the team next week. He was one of our worst two performers on the weekend, tying with Christensen. Directly gave up multiple goals. Surely has to go back to NEAFL...

Who plays key back instead of him remembering we have Roughead, Gunston, O'Brien and Breust to match up on?

I see him more in the Leuenberger mould than the Lobb one, only better because he can play forward whereas Leuey always struggled to do so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 8, 2018 - Western Bulldogs vs. Brisbane Lions

Back