Review Round 8, 2018 - Western Bulldogs vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against the Bulldogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair enough - not what I'd do, but I'm not exactly a professional. Still think Eagles deserves to be dropped for effort and lack of discipline on the weekend, but agree it's tougher to match up this week... I understand why Fages kept him in for the dogs - it'd be rough to drop him after the Pies game, but still... He really didn't fit our needs that game.

Dropped for EFFORT?!?

Umpires get it right a lot of the time, often you look at a replay and say óh yeah, it was there'after not seeing it in real time. Thing that gets me is calling the 50/50 ones (especially in front of goal) where they are unsure.

My suggestion was more about the reverse - the ones they literally miss. If a free kick is paid it's very rare that it's actually incorrect.

Can't like the post about the doggies little throws more then anything. I always thought the idea was that you had to punch the ball out of your other hand? It's a clear directive to the dogs plays to create all the power on their "handballs" from the hand holding the ball.not the one punching it. No doubtably they also have a reputation of "lightning handballs" to get away with just blatantly throwing it.

It's as frustrating to watch them get away with it as hawks/ dropping the ball Everytime they are tackled so it's "knocked out in the tackle".

It's also just weird that not all clubs play to these weird grey areas of the game.

Can't like the post about the doggies little throws more then anything. I always thought the idea was that you had to punch the ball out of your other hand? It's a clear directive to the dogs plays to create all the power on their "handballs" from the hand holding the ball.not the one punching it. No doubtably they also have a reputation of "lightning handballs" to get away with just blatantly throwing it.

It's as frustrating to watch them get away with it as hawks/ dropping the ball Everytime they are tackled so it's "knocked out in the tackle".

It's also just weird that not all clubs play to these weird grey areas of the game.
It's all in the interpretation.:rolleyes:

Very last word: Christensen in not fully fit. He is pretty obviously carrying a bit of excess.

Last time I saw him play at the Gabba there were a number of instances where he either refused to or couldn't chase.

Stuff you can only observe when your gaze isn't confined to the camera focus area.

Very last word: Christensen in not fully fit. He is pretty obviously carrying a bit of excess.

Last time I saw him play at the Gabba there were a number of instances where he either refused to or couldn't chase.

Stuff you can only observe when your gaze isn't confined to the camera focus area.

I reckon he's struggling to adjust to the speed of AFL after so long out of the game. Could be mentally struggling with the requirements as well. I reckon the bloke deserves a year to build back to form, even if that means a few NEAFL games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oscar is off the rookie list for Skinner, Eagles is off it for Payne. I think Payne has 4 weeks left, Skinner is close as well maybe the same. What happens then? seems most might be happy to see Eagles drop back, Oscar not so much. Do we hope for another long term injury? or do we hope one of those kids don't pull through? or is it the case we don't mind Oscar and Eagles going back while we develop those 2 kids in the hope they play firsts late in the season? just asking.

Oscar is off the rookie list for Skinner, Eagles is off it for Payne. I think Payne has 4 weeks left, Skinner is close as well maybe the same. What happens then? seems most might be happy to see Eagles drop back, Oscar not so much. Do we hope for another long term injury? or do we hope one of those kids don't pull through? or is it the case we don't mind Oscar and Eagles going back while we develop those 2 kids in the hope they play firsts late in the season? just asking.

Oscar is a Cat A rookie and was not elevated as cat A rookies no longer need to be elevated to play. Eagles is cat B and was elevated for Payne IIRC.

This is a pattern unfortunately. I have gone to games and just isolated him and he does not run both ways. Very keen on grabbing a 'cheapie' but not so keen to put in the hard defensive running.

This is a pattern unfortunately. I have gone to games and just isolated him and he does not run both ways. Very keen on grabbing a 'cheapie' but not so keen to put in the hard defensive running.
The weight that he put on during the pre-season is definitely impacting him. The trademarks of his game don't seem to be there at the moment such as
- Decent or at least creative disposal
- Cracks in at the contest (Puts his head over the ball to win the free)
- Line breaking speed

That seems to indicate someone who isn't completely confident in his body.

The weight that he put on during the pre-season is definitely impacting him. The trademarks of his game don't seem to be there at the moment such as
- Line breaking speed

Or, alternatively, overweight.

Not being deliberately flippant. I can never forget the sight of Adrian Fletcher, many years ago and admittedly returning from a long term injury, but, let's not beat about the bush- fat. How this can happen with a multitude of dieticians, physios, forward, backward, middle coaches, abundant skin folds, etc etc is beyond me, but there it is.

It can and does happen. Fat, that is.

- Line breaking speed

I'm thinking back to one particular game when I literally just watched him. He had plenty of touches, kicked a goal and did next to no defensive running. Played wide if his man hoping to get a easy touch by positioning himself just outside / just inside our offensive 50 and looking to pick up a sloppy clearance from the defenders to swoop on. Only problem was defenders were leaving our 50 via his man, who was then running, creating the overlap and we would concede goals / end up desperately defending. He simply would not chase and this was in 2015.

Or, alternatively, overweight.

Not being deliberately flippant. I can never forget the sight of Adrian Fletcher, many years ago and admittedly returning from a long term injury, but, let's not beat about the bush- fat. How this can happen with a multitude of dieticians, physios, forward, backward, middle coaches, abundant skin folds, etc etc is beyond me, but there it is.

It can and does happen. Fat, that is.

Sorry, are you seriously saying Christensen is fat??

Just been watching a bit of the game again.
The amount of throws by Bulldogs players that were not called is into double figures.
The incorrect disposal rule states moving the hand holding the ball excessively in the direction of the handpass.
or try this one for size.
Handing the ball directly to a team mate. sound familiar.
It is a bit of a joke .

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 8, 2018 - Western Bulldogs vs. Brisbane Lions

Back