Preview Round 8, 2023: North Melbourne v St.Kilda - Marvel Stadium, Sunday 7th May, 4:40PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Kangaroos

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • Saints

Votes: 65 89.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Misson said round 9 for King

Also, I think if Billings wasn't named in the emergencies the team probably thinks he might need another run for Sandy? Shame there wasn't a game this week

I think Windy is a chance to come into the 22 and give someone else a go in the sub role. Maybe the Pou?

Bytel might be a chance considering we were smashed in the clearances again? Not sure who's spot he takes though

Billings makes more sense as a sub than either of them. Windy probably needs a full game at Sandy so he doesn't get rusty but not possible either.

Who knows with King, they are miles off until they name them this year. I don't trust those timelines.

Billings makes more sense as a sub than either of them. Windy probably needs a full game at Sandy so he doesn't get rusty but not possible either.

Who knows with King, they are miles off until they name them this year. I don't trust those timelines.

Windy has to have a full game for us or Sandy you would think

King is a chance I think

I don't agree that Billing makes more sense as the sub than anyone. I think they'd want to get some match fitness into his legs so a full game at Sandy might help

Windhager is probably due for a full game in the ones, if not then it would make sense for him to go to Sandy

I could I understand Phillipou being the sub this week.

For God's sake, when are we actually going to put some time into developing Bytel properly? He's got great hands inside, he's a pure inside mid he needs sustained game time. I get that in the past he's been injured and Crouch fell into our lap but he is wasting away in the fringe there.

Get him in, leave him in, and if he doesn't get it done, get him out of the club.

For God's sake, when are we actually going to put some time into developing Bytel properly? He's got great hands inside, he's a pure inside mid he needs sustained game time. I get that in the past he's been injured and Crouch fell into our lap but he is wasting away in the fringe there.

Get him in, leave him in, and if he doesn't get it done, get him out of the club.
Not sure the club can be blamed for him not getting a game. He was average all last year in the VFL and didn't demand a spot.

Had a chance round one, was solid but had 16 touches and then got injures.

We were 5-1 before last night so it's not easy to break into the side, especially when Steele has returned.

He should get another go soon enough but he needs to own it himself and demand a spot.

100% He has the hands we need to get that 1st clearance out

We were profoundly beaten in the clinches yesterday by a 20yo JHF versus our 3x 26-29yos in Steele Ross Crouch. This is a fact and it is in my view inexcusable.

We’ve been beaten convincingly at ‘the source’ for a number of weeks now so I think it’s time we have Bytel a decent run at it since this is his specialty.

I also would like windhager to play a full game as he looked really good when he came on.

I’ve had quite enough of watching Ben Paton butcher the ball. He is a genuine weak link and isn’t really doing anything special as a lockdown defender so he would be my first player to go since he’s unable to hit any targets by hand or foot.

Cordy is clearly a tough one but he just hasn’t been doing anything. A nutless monkey could do his ‘job’. Start him off and bring him off if we need maybe but I wouldn’t even do that. The only reason he kicks goals is simply because he’s the last man in the chain. He is a good shot at goal but I would want more out of our 2nd key forward.

Billings needs to come into this team. If he’s fit, it’s time. Could be the making of him.

IN: Windhager Bytel Billings (sub to start)
OUT: Paton Cordy

Team:

Stocker Howard Wilkie
Sinclair Battle NWM
Hill Bytel Wood
Butler Owens Gresham
Higgins Membrey Phillipou
Marshall Steele Crouch
Ross Clark Windhager Byrnes (Billings)

Campbell would be my next in if we felt like we needed a forward target

Philipou was panicking against port, not just that snap but overthinking his options and running underneath the ball going for marks.
Need to get his confidence up.

Philipou was panicking against port, not just that snap but overthinking his options and running underneath the ball going for marks.
Need to get his confidence up.
Won’t kill him to spend a week or two in the VFL.
In retrospect, possibly the reason he wasn’t omitted this week is that there is no vfl game this weekend.
Let him smash it at the lower level, will be great for his confidence. No shame in that.

Probably more about form than resting him

I love the kid but he's been a bit off. Not too fussed either way but I wouldn't be surprised if he was the sub at least
I'm with you, he's been down..

But the point stands, who in the VFL can come in a play the role? A fit billings yes, but is he fit yet?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Billings is fit, he comes in for Phillipou. Bytel as sub.
Otherwise, Windy comes in.

Still holding out hope King will get up even if the club is saying rd 9-10.

Pou was in the bottom 5 for TOG for us last night. Can't see any reason why we leave him out on the basis of fatigue. Again, Ross manages the team through the week - they are getting a 3 day break this time around instead of the normal 2 - this is unique amongst AFL clubs.

I copped it last year when I suggested King should go into the VFL to regain some form but this time around it's okay for Pou to do it? I don't think so. Let these young kids play through some adversity. They are talented and we only get better the more AFL experience they have.

Using 5 day breaks as a reason we lost last night is an excuse. We went in as favourites and without the mistakes in D50 we probably win the game. Our execution forward of centre was atrocious. Nothing to do with fatigue IMO.

If Billings is fit, he comes in for Phillipou. Bytel as sub.
Otherwise, Windy comes in.

Still holding out hope King will get up even if the club is saying rd 9-10.
Don’t know how we manage it but I would really like to see Bytel get a full game.

Pou was in the bottom 5 for TOG for us last night. Can't see any reason why we leave him out on the basis of fatigue. Again, Ross manages the team through the week - they are getting a 3 day break this time around instead of the normal 2 - this is unique amongst AFL clubs.

I copped it last year when I suggested King should go into the VFL to regain some form but this time around it's okay for Pou to do it? I don't think so. Let these young kids play through some adversity. They are talented and we only get better the more AFL experience they have.

Using 5 day breaks as a reason we lost last night is an excuse. We went in as favourites and without the mistakes in D50 we probably win the game. Our execution forward of centre was atrocious. Nothing to do with fatigue IMO.
Max King kicked over 50 goals last year 🧐

Maybe that was because he was fatigued? He has played fewer minutes as the rounds have progressed.

Yes, it’s ok for Phillipou to go to the vfl. He’s a kid. Do we want to break him down?

Disagree fatigue had nothing to do with our terrible forward fifty execution. We picked the easier, less arduous option by bombing it long.

5 day break may not be the whole reason we lost last night, but it sure as hell didn’t help.

I just dont know how to fit him in with Steele/Crouch/Ross. It seems too much of the same to have him as well, plus Clark who has been really good the past 2 weeks but is slow.
Yep. It’s a problem.And a shame because I think he has a lot to offer and ultimately we will lose him.

I'd say most people are suggesting Phillipou should be omitted on form.

The difference with the time you suggested King should be dropped was he was still getting a decent amounts of shots on goal and we had no one to replace him.

Yep. It’s a problem.And a shame because I think he has a lot to offer and ultimately we will lose him.
He seems to be in the awkward position of too good for the VFL but not quite good enough yet to push out one of the seasoned midfielders. And the injuries he's had have made it even harder for him to do the second.

He just needs a stoke of luck to get an extended run to show how good he can be.

Watching the melb v nth game now, nth really dont have too much at all.

I hope ross and co get the boys up and really press for % because it may be worth an extra win later on season

Our game plan has been worked out to a certain degree; if the opposition get the ball in their attacking zone quickly, we don't have time to set up and defend. Our forward play doesn't really need to be worked out, it's pretty hopeless without the Hammer smashing packs. Put work into Owens and you can make it an arm wrestle.

Our forward delivery has dropped right off, the boys are starting to show a little fatigue and if I were Ross & Co I'd be looking to get some fresh willingness from the squad.

We've lost 2 in the last 3, not one of our victories has been against what you could objectively say was a strong team: Essendon probably the closest to that but don't really believe in them either and I think they'll miss finals ultimately.

I'm happy for the reality check to come and the audits to start, it was a lovely start to the season but the honeymoon is over and now we'll see what this team is really about.

Roos - another bogey team with another master coach, regardless a loss here would really put us on our arse.

Adelaide in Adelaide - possibly our biggest test yet if they are at full strength. The Pies had key personnel out last minute and out momentum was high.

We'll know a lot more by the bye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back