Autopsy Round 8, 2024: St.Kilda v North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Be interesting to see who the remaining best 22 guys are to come back and who goes out for them.

Dow, Henry… maybe Clark.

Pou probably should get a spell. I guess Hastie and Garcia?
Bonner deserves to go play for Sandy until he can produce a "zero clanger" game.

He's a loose cannon under pressure to me.

Bonner deserves to go play for Sandy until he can produce a "zero clanger" game.

Couldn’t agree more. I had a heart chuckle when he was leading the metres gained stat, again.

Be interesting to see who the remaining best 22 guys are to come back and who goes out for them.

Dow, Henry… maybe Clark.

Pou probably should get a spell. I guess Hastie and Garcia?
Byrnes another who could be in trouble.

Listening to Lyon it seems the plan is to throw lots of numbers through the midfield. Crouch also to come back in.

It will be interesting to see if we improve with more numbers to run in there. Jimmy back definitely helped the defence. Dow, Crouch, Clark and Henry can all run through the middle.

Probably the big story out of the game is Sincs is back to his best and had probably his best midfield game. Also getting through unscathed is important.

Yeah it's a fair point and I probably went a bit over the top last night.
You won’t be the first or last to do so…
I have a bit of a record of that myself (although usually it’s after a loss - like after the Higgins decision) 🤣

Nobody can say we’re an apathetic bunch on here.

I was actually impressed by him. He did have one shocking kick but apart from that was important to our ball movement. You can see how he releases Sincs and Nasiah to run forward more.

I'm predicting he stays in the side all season.

On King my view was as follows .

Clearly hampered and probably should not have played but he did so no excuses.

Simply does not lead enough, has speed to burn but doesn’t use it . On going issue .

Second efforts and intensity were poor yesterday.

Drops way to many marks that he gets his hands to . On going issue .

But in his defence , if he was umpired the way Charlie Curnow is he would have had a day out yesterday . Corr simply scragged him all day and he was offered no protection whatsoever from the umpires .

No idea who umpire 39 was in our forward fifty but he was a dead set disgrace .

He has proven he is a good player at AFL level but he could be a great if he lead more and statues holding his marks .

Thought our whipping boy Dougs had a pretty good game anyway.
Maybe Arie gets a look in for Bonner, although I doubt he’s getting dropped.

How impressive was Jimmys game, especially under the circumstances?
For a supposed hothead he’s pretty cool under pressure. Rapt that he’s back.

That was then, wouldn't be the first player to go through significant growth spurts and lose attributes, he a massice unit these days and looks sluggish is my point and doesn't look anything like a full time midfielder is the point I'm making, too sluggish to be a full time midfielder...you need to be a little zippy for that full time midfielder role, he's almost growing into a KPP and possibly has one more growth spurt left in him which can still happen around the 21 year old mark

🤣🤣🤣

I think the issue with Max is when he’s off he looks truly awful. He’s lazy, he’s doesn’t lead, he sooks and drops his shoulders. He’s not the first mercurial key forward to look like a bratty teenager when it’s not going his way.

I clip him a lot and some of it’s probably unfair but for 2 quarters was 20-30 metres from him and his body language was absolutely atrocious.

Compare that to a Jack Hayes who has a tenth his talent but just wants the ball, leads, demands it and if we could get King to do some of that he’d be unstoppable.

That’s where the frustration comes in.

I’d only trade him for something outrageous and we’re not throwing him in the ruck but I do hope there’s some feedback about his lack of effort.
Couldn't have articulated better myself.

Give me a team full of Jack Hayes any day.

I'll guarantee you Ross feels the same.

You can handle mistakes and poor games once in a while but what is unpalatable is poor attitude, it's a cancerous vibe which is just unacceptable in a team sport.

There is no excuse for poor attitude in elite sport.

Jimmy was massive. He has excellent hands and makes good decisions. An enormous inclusion.

Interesting how Seb Ross nearly had him in his best on.

Watching the replay when Hastie kicks his goal and his teammates come running in to congratulate him, his smile gets extra wide when Hugo and then Wilson come running in. You can just tell that this group have bonded are thriving and inspiring each other to hit their straps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jimmy is the best example of the type of attitude you want permeating your elite sports environment, he came into a game with a really negative focus on him which would make most marshmallows wither, but then one of his first involvements is a howler and the heat comes from across the fence. How Jimmy responded was with high performance, that's RESILIENCE!

It wasn't an accident Ross used Bakes name in a conversation about Jimmy.

Give me more Jimmys and Jack's please.

Last edited:
Byrnes another who could be in trouble.

Listening to Lyon it seems the plan is to throw lots of numbers through the midfield. Crouch also to come back in.

It will be interesting to see if we improve with more numbers to run in there. Jimmy back definitely helped the defence. Dow, Crouch, Clark and Henry can all run through the middle.

Probably the big story out of the game is Sincs is back to his best and had probably his best midfield game. Also getting through unscathed is important.
Stocker probably on notice actually. Webster back and his form has been poor if recent weeks. We don’t really need Jimmy and Liam.

I was actually impressed by him. He did have one shocking kick but apart from that was important to our ball movement. You can see how he releases Sincs and Nasiah to run forward more.

I'm predicting he stays in the side all season.
Yehhhh… you’re probably right and I’m probably being harsh on him. He was directly on Stephenson a lot yesterday and Stepho had 5 touches. It’s the lowest of opponents but he did the job

Some of the reactions to Max’s absolute stinker are laughable.

“On his last chance” “Will be back at Sandy”

Give me a spell.

He got sucked into wrestling with Corr instead of beating him with his strengths.

Anyway… Darcy Darcy Darcy is the story of the night.

Thought Windy was great too & what a difference big Hayesy makes. Allowing Ro to play deep forward creates a nightmare for opposition coaches.

I think we really missed a trick not playing Collard… he could have had a field day with the amount of loose balls that Norf create by chopping arms.

Would have also liked to see Dow play ahead of Hugo… the kid looks promising but would benefit from racking up some VFL touches.

BTW if we’re offering LDU megabucks… can we double it & snag George Wardlaw too. He’s unbelievable for a 2nd year player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree Collard would only need a few disposals to snag 1 or 2

Jimmy was massive. He has excellent hands and makes good decisions. An enormous inclusion.
That first kick of his wasn’t a great decision.
He actually looked pretty rattled for the first 10-15 but he settled well.

He was getting booed with a conviction I can’t recall seeing since Milburn tried to kill SOS at Optus Oval many moons ago (it was deafening when he got the ball) so he did very very well to settle.

Something I found interesting at the game (having only been to one game this year and spent most of that wrangling a toddler) was how fatigued both teams get in the last quarter. We were really juiced at that stage as were North, for example the Wardlaw 50 he gave away was basically an example of fatigue as he was so knackered that he forgot he was standing the mark.

The game opens up so much in the final quarter and it becomes a case of who can manage their fatigue better. It's an interesting element of the sport.

I
Yep. We need to know what his ceiling is, if he's reached it then the honest conversations can be had with him. Not necessarily trade but possibly postion change like Ruck or CHB. Also the conversation that goes something like we can't continue on with you as number 1 key forward and have the game plan built around that.

It's time, he and the coaches are running out of wriggle room and the excuse "he's still young" has expired.
It’s as the premier, pretty much lone-handed KPF that he’s still young. Not necessarily age wise.

Would be interested to do the numbers. At what age did:

Cameron and Hawkins ( playing tandem)
Daniher and Hipwood ( tandem)
McGovern and Darling ( tandem)
Franklin and Roughy ( tandem)
Cur now and McKay (tandem)
Lloyd and Lucas - (you get the picture)
Jesse Hogan

all come good?

You obviously don’t think Sharman is good enough to be a forward line partner (I say the jury’s out - also needs consistent run as a forward).
Maybe we DO need Ben afterall.

Last edited:
I

It’s as the premier, pretty much lone-handed KPF that he’s still young. Not necessarily age wise.

Would be interested to do the numbers. At what age did:

Cameron and Hawkins ( playing tandem)
Daniher and Hipwood ( tandem)
McGovern and Darling ( tandem)
Franklin and Roughy ( tandem)
Lloyd and Lucas - (you get the picture)

all come good?

You obviously don’t think Sharman is good enough to be a forward line partner (I say the jury’s out - also needs consistent run as a forward).
Maybe we DO need Ben afterall.
Camma and Hayes so the job and can pinch hit in the ruck for me.

King was terrible yesterday but I think more time and continuity between and and one or both of those two would be good

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 8, 2024: St.Kilda v North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back