Autopsy Round 8, 2024: St.Kilda v North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

We got the win. It wasn't pretty. But we got some run in the legs of the likes of Wood and Hayes.
It is an absolute must that we get Wilson signed up long term. He is going to be an out and out star.
Our disposals are still not up to scratch. Especially from our backline.

I'm now resigned to the fact that King is just not going to be the player I thought he would be.
At the moment he's about as effective as Eric hipwood.
I would trade him for larkey in an instant, would give them a first rounder to go with it.
Honestly can't see the reason for the love for pou either. Those who think he's going to be bont like are kidding themselves.
He looks to me more like a mason wood or Blake acres.
Bloody hope I'm wrong

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't want to defend his game today but he's 23. Regardless of what anyone says, he's still only tweenty ****ing three.

Today was really poor but it's very silly to write off a 23 year old key forward who has shown what King has over his short career.

Larkey who you mentioned for example had shown way way less at the same age.. It takes many of these guys time. If he's not improved at 25 then maybe, but even then most won't peak until 27-28.

I just want to see more chase and effort. The rest will come with time.

Last edited:
I find it hard to be too critical of King. Put yourself in his shoes, he was drafted with a pretty big injury, has had some injury concerns interrupting basically every preseason since drafted. He had no key forward to look up to and learn from/be his mentor in our team. He struggled with goalkicking and wanted to get help, which was veto'd by the club.

He isn't performing as well as we want and he's capable of, but it's not hard to see why. I think his biggest problem is he's lacking confidence, and maybe some time in the VFL will help with that. I think it's important we have realistic expectations of him though. He's still our only true KPF, and that's a lot of expectations on him with very little support.

Max King...I wonder what we would get in a trade for him?

Hope that puts paid to people asking for Stocker to be dropped.
Our backline with him Webster and Howard look so much better with Wilks and Battle.

Think it is time for Pou to be given a spell, especially if Henry is fit, Dow for Garcia.
Hayes is one valuable utility, can ruck can take a mark and can kick a goal, should make Roh's life easier.
We need another soft kill next week, work our players like King back into form and need to now settle into the season a bit after the AFL has shafted us with their multiple interstate travel multiple 5 day breaks etc.

Still no song by Fox. Absolutely no respect.

On SM-S908E using BigcFooty.com mobile app
Trust you to make your 1st comment/line. There was no premier small forward out there for Norf today, which created more space for Stocker & he still made some big errors again today. Don't understand the apparent man - crush on this guy?

I find it hard to be too critical of King. Put yourself in his shoes, he was drafted with a pretty big injury, has had some injury concerns interrupting basically every preseason since drafted. He had no key forward to look up to and learn from/be his mentor in our team. He struggled with goalkicking and wanted to get help, which was veto'd by the club.

He isn't performing as well as we want and he's capable of, but it's not hard to see why. I think his biggest problem is he's lacking confidence, and maybe some time in the VFL will help with that. I think it's important we have realistic expectations of him though. He's still our only true KPF, and that's a lot of expectations on him with very little support.
I agree, Billings vibes.

Hope that puts paid to people asking for Stocker to be dropped.
Our backline with him Webster and Howard look so much better with Wilks and Battle.

Think it is time for Pou to be given a spell, especially if Henry is fit, Dow for Garcia.
Hayes is one valuable utility, can ruck can take a mark and can kick a goal, should make Roh's life easier.
We need another soft kill next week, work our players like King back into form and need to now settle into the season a bit after the AFL has shafted us with their multiple interstate travel multiple 5 day breaks etc.

Still no song by Fox. Absolutely no respect.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah Stocker is very important and underrated, as is Jimmy and Doogs and silly to suggest they aren't.

King needs a rocket of some type, that half arsed lead in the 4th that was outmarked by Coor was a really poor look. He slowed up in his leading approach to the ball coming in which allowed Corr to intercept which is unforgivable at AFL level. Then there was that ball that he didnt even attack aerially, not even a jump.

His intensity is non existent so it's surprising Lyon is let him get away with it.

King and Pou need to win their spots back at Sandy. King is either injured or not very good at footy. Caminiti offers more.

Wilson looks like he could be the best kid on our list now. Looks on track to be another Nas like recruit but more advanced at the same age.
King who is lightening quick insists on locking arms and wrestling with a guy who in this case is a pretty ordinary player. Larkey is a good example of what a mobile big forward can do if he’s prepared to work. I have no idea what instructions king has but imo the coaching staff can’t be happy with his efforts at present.

The game was pretty much what I expected, we beat a very ordinary ill disciplined team and that’s about it. The guys you’d expect to stand up like Sinclair, wang etc did so and the usual suspects and a few young guys struggled. I’d encourage them to get down and watch sandy tomorrow because if a few step and then a few who played tonight will be playing at sandy next week.

On the upside Wilson might just be along with wang a genuine AA player, Windhager is making his mark and looks a best 22 lock and young Hastie shows the skills and footy IQ required to be a very good player in the next few years. Hayes who is a good old fashioned footballer was very good and Howard played well imo.

On the downside I’m not as convinced by a couple of players and a couple more desperately need a run at sandy where they can get 30 and work on building their games and confidence.

Yeah Stocker is very important and underrated, as is Jimmy and Doogs and silly to suggest they aren't.

King needs a rocket of some type, that half arsed lead in the 4th that was outmarked by Coor was a really poor look. He slowed up in his leading approach to the ball coming in which allowed Corr to intercept which is unforgivable at AFL level. Then there was that ball that he didnt even attack aerially, not even a jump.

His intensity is non existent so it's surprising Lyon is let him get away with it.

He did look half arsed at times but that lead you are reffering to was a timing issue.

Corr just read it better, King got the flight and line all wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What I don't get with King is the whole game was 1v1 stationary, only leads seemed to be when forward movement stagnated and the forward line was already flooded.

Get the reiwoldt tapes out, get those feet moving.
Stick him in Sandringham colours. It's about the right level for him at the moment.
Just a lazy player.

Take the win.
Plenty to like and plenty to work on.

PRO'S
  • Darcy Wilson is HIM. NAB Rising Star prospect, needs a 3 year extension. Adding contested work and scoring firepower now. Jet.
  • Sinclair massive.
  • Hayes our best second ruck.
  • Windhager, NAS, Hill, Howard all found form.
  • Hastie some nice moments and goal.
  • King will be better for the run.
  • Noticeably less long bomb forward entries.

CON'S
  • Tackles: We can't make 'em.
  • Tackles: We can't can't break em.

MEH
- Bonner is very hit and miss. I'd rather give that same license to Schoenmaker who has the same kicking weapon as Bonner. Bring in Schoenmaker if he has a good game tomorrow.

If only our forwards all had craft like Haysey. He knows where and when to run at the ball and pulls them down out of reach of defenders.
Yeah, he's not overly quick, but reads the play well & once he knows he's in position, is too big to knock out of the way easily. I saw his Sanfl grand final, where he was so smart & dominant. And he is the guy to chop out for Marshall. Just needs a good run at it now.

Take the win.
Plenty to like and plenty to work on.

PRO'S
  • Darcy Wilson is HIM. NAB Rising Star prospect, needs a 3 year extension. Adding contested work and scoring firepower now. Jet.
  • Sinclair massive.
  • Hayes our best second ruck.
  • Windhager, NAS, Hill, Howard all found form.
  • Hastie some nice moments and goal.
  • King will be better for the run.
  • Noticeably less long bomb forward entries.

CON'S
  • Tackles: We can't make 'em.
  • Tackles: We can't can't break em.

MEH
- Bonner is very hit and miss. I'd rather give that same license to Schoenmaker who has the same kicking weapon as Bonner. Bring in Schoenmaker if he has a good game tomorrow.

We won “tackles inside 50” 15-0 btw

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He did look half arsed at times but that lead you are reffering to was a timing issue.

Corr just read it better, King got the flight and line all wrong.
The optics were King got it horribly wrong, he is supposed to be Winx so leading and beating his opponent on the lead should be his one wood. Maybe have to rename him Fine Cotton.

We got the win. It wasn't pretty. But we got some run in the legs of the likes of Wood and Hayes.
It is an absolute must that we get Wilson signed up long term. He is going to be an out and out star.
Our disposals are still not up to scratch. Especially from our backline.
Until we get players with natural ability by hand and foot we will be no more than a workman like team. Until we get players that understand game nuance, we will be no more than a middle of the road team.
Some of the decisions we make in game are just baffling. We seem allergic to the idea of creating, making, and protecting space for our own players.
We are a team of hardworking guys -except for King who needs to make a decision as to whether he wants to be a footballer or not- we run and hassle, but we lack natural ability, skill, and game sense.

We won “tackles inside 50” 15-0 btw

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
There were multiple plays in the middle where we could not execute a tackle that held the ball in. In particular Wardlaw and LDU seemed to always be able to get a handball out and keep the ball moving forward. It cost us direct goals tonight and is an issue.

Bring Billy Slater back as tackling coach!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 8, 2024: St.Kilda v North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back