Autopsy Round 8, 2024: St.Kilda v North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh BTW, I don't know if anyone should be upset winning by 6 goals plus, it was exactly what we needed to do.

Our problem is when we come up against a decent midfield. Roos are young and still looked a mile above us at centre clearances, until we get a prime Dusty or Cripps with support like a Cotchin or Walsh, we are really on a hiding to nothing.

Where do we get two mids like that?

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
100%

Just got back from the game. We beat North... woo woo

Agree with a lot of what has been said here. Sincs went under my radar in the first half.

The thing that absolutely kills me about this side though is watching Mitch Owens wasting away in the forward line. A guy that could be a game changer, just rotting away up there. It's ludicrous. Completely doing my head in.
He played some mid today. We’re easing young guys in there. Patience.

Happy enough with that. Sincs starting to hit his straps, Windy good and D.Wilson just a fair dinkum jet. They seemed to catch us out the back though which was a bit frustrating.

Hayes makes such a different. A natural and experienced footballer who just does simple things well. Webster and Wood made a difference, although Jimmy started slow with a couple of howlers.

I'd lay off with the King bashing, thought he was going really well before the knee tweak. I think his biggest problem is his leading. Hesitates too much and cooks the ball carrier when he leads. They don't know if he's coming or staying. Compare that to Hayes who just leads up at the ball so well.

It's all between the ears for King. He has all the talent in the world, but he just doesn't want it enough. It's very hard to come back from that, you can't train attitude
Yeah so when he actually gets a decent run of games in a row, builds some confidence he should provide a point of difference- his biggest issue is getting on the park

It's all between the ears for King. He has all the talent in the world, but he just doesn't want it enough. It's very hard to come back from that, you can't train attitude

I don't think its that simple. And I don't think its a fair comment to say he doesn't care if you don't know him

From what I hear he puts in the effort on the track and is very dilligent in trying to improve.

One thing I do agree on is he needs to show more intensity on the chase and tackle side of things. Show us with his actions on field that he's a compeditive beast. He doesn't show that enough. Hammer is better at that side of things.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some of the criticism is very valid.

But the morons reacting the way they do (i.e. trading him) is pretty frustrating and shows how fickle we are.
People wondering what we could get in a trade for a guy of Kings "calibre" is well worth asking.
He isn't performing to his abilities, yet is worth something. We have needs across the ground.
It's good business to see what the options are.

Max King...I wonder what we would get in a trade for him?
A Hunter Clark type, a Nick Coffield type and a Matty Allison type.

You know it'll happen.

I don't want to defend his game today but he's 23.

Regardless of what anyone says, he's still only tweenty ******* three.

Today was really poor but it's very silly to write off a 23 year old key forward who has shown what King has over his short career playing the hardest role in footy.

Larkey for example had shown way way less at the same age.. It takes many of these guys time. If he's not improved at 25 then maybe, but even then most won't peak until 27-28.

I just want to see more chase and effort. The rest will come with time.
His knee might be sore so maybe we should all take a breath - but seems to me there are way too many games when things don’t go his way he just doesn’t grit his teeth and say I’m going to influence this game via laying a tackle, bust a gut to provide a dummy lead or just take his defender on a long run out of his comfort zone.

When things aren’t running for him he seems happy to think - oh well it’ll be my day next week.

I really hope Hayes gets a proper crack at it this year now so that we don't die wondering. Had enough of that with the likes of McCartin and Freeman who couldn't stay on the park. Even Hanners had a lot to offer if we could've got him right. Hayes has the ability when match fit to be our best forward. Maybe not on talent but in effect. Let's hope we get to finally see it.

I can't help thinking Higgo would've had a day out today. Makes his joke of a suspension even harder to swallow.

Finally, Wilson looks like our Rozee.

Bonner is like a Wish/Temu version of Hilly. Does an ok job and always has some clangers and poor efforts. Not on his own there at the Saints.
They’re fine.
We don’t have enough salary to have all Hillys. We need foot soldiers and those boys are perfect.

People wondering what we could get in a trade for a guy of Kings "calibre" is well worth asking.
He isn't performing to his abilities, yet is worth something. We have needs across the ground.
It's good business to see what the options are.

Don't agree at all. I think its a reactionary judgement to say that. If you take away the emotion and frustration of watching him today and look at his career as a whole, consider his age, compare what he's done to other key forwards past and present at a similar point in their careers. Just the cold facts.

No one would trade him. Even if he never improves he's still probably a win at pick 4. We're just frustrated because he could be so much more.

Yeah so when he actually gets a decent run of games in a row, builds some confidence he should provide a point of difference- his biggest issue is getting on the park
It's a part of the issue... don't see what the fuss is about. He hasn't proven anything to not warrant criticism.
His career so far has been largely underwhelming.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 8, 2024: St.Kilda v North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back