Autopsy Round 9, 2021: St.Kilda v Geelong *WEBSTER 100TH* *WILKIE 50TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Will repeat (as they are on the radio), Hawkins took time to develop ie his kicking was ordinary early and there were calls for to be cut as well as dropped. Look at him now.

Reckon we need to chill a bit and start treating other posters with a bit of respect.

This is only an internet forum where we should be able to discuss and share opinions and passion on the Saints without it descending to what it is now.
Yup, McKay just into his 5th year and 50 games on the board... suddenly doubling his previous output.

Yup, McKay just into his 5th year and 50 games on the board... suddenly doubling his previous output.

The kid needs at least one and probably two presaeasons before he has the body to play AFL. His kicking is affected by the fatigue his body is copping. Ben is a preseason and a full season of senior games ahead of him and he looks it.

Just wait for Max as a high half forward taking marks like last night, feeding it to FF Ben. Game 1 2023. 20 months away.

Maybe back to venting our disappointment, maybe George and Max could have a chat on PM?
I'm done with it on my end, boring anyway, sorry for clogging this up with that shit

Discussing the club, venting, wrapping up the players/coach, calling them spuds after a bad performance, hating on umpires is what i come to expect from a football forum.

Posters attacking each other should not be on. I am guilty of it with mostly Joffaboy and the ignore button has done wonders for me.

We can all save ourselves a lot of irritation by using this wonderous forum feature :)

I agree but for it to work Membrey needs to find his touch ASAP. He's not the one touch footballer we know him to be currently and it's impacting his game. Even his set shots are off which is unusual for Tim

He's usually a good kick for goal but he gets the yips too at times.

I went to a game against Freo in Perth a few years ago and Membrey kicked 1.5, the same as King last night and that pretty much cost us the game.

This is the game.

AFL Match Statistics : Fremantle defeats St Kilda at Optus Stadium Round 8 Saturday, 12th May 2018 (footywire.com)

The kid needs at least one and probably two presaeasons before he has the body to play AFL. His kicking is affected by the fatigue his body is copping. Ben is a preseason and a full season of senior games ahead of him and he looks it.

Just wait for Max as a high half forward taking marks like last night, feeding it to FF Ben. Game 1 2023. 20 months away.
this is when we will be truly a contender. Club needs to find another 1-2 A graders + 4-5 kids with potential to round out the list between now and then - king will cost a fortune in draft currency and we don’t have much to move around to create that so looks like we will be picking ass end of the draft in 22/23.

this is the challenge facing the club now.

this is when we will be truly a contender. Club needs to find another 1-2 A graders + 4-5 kids with potential to round out the list between now and then - king will cost a fortune in draft currency and we don’t have much to move around to create that so looks like we will be picking ass end of the draft in 22/23.

this is the challenge facing the club now.

After the lazy 450k the AFl pitched in for Benny this contract, I don't think he will ask for the world. To fulfill your darstardly plan, we should let Billings go for FA ,get taranto and a high dp, tank for pick one 2022, use that on the best kid and walk Benny to the PSD and give Fold Coast SFA.

This thread has been a solid read. It's like I was right back in primary school all over again.
This has been the most entertaining autopsy for a while that’s for sure.

After the lazy 450k the AFl pitched in for Benny this contract, I don't think he will ask for the world. To fulfill your darstardly plan, we should let Billings go for FA ,get taranto and a high dp, tank for pick one 2022, use that on the best kid and walk Benny to the PSD and give Fold Coast SFA.
Look I’m not nowhere near asking for us to finish last next season.

I think we need to change the landscape before Ben potentially Happens.We just aren’t good enough at the top end consistently enough - especially in the big games.

the proposing of letting Billings walk is 2 fold. 1) he isn’t worth 700-750k to us which is very likely the ball park he gets to switch clubs.
B) that money could land us as you keep mentioning - someone like Taranto.

This season is gone. I said before the game if we lose Marshall and are 4-6 pack it in. Well we lost Marshall, choked and are 4-5 with in all honesty probably the hardest second half of the year draw I’ve ever seen. Okay, bright side? Great pick and put the games into the kids we think are worth keeping.

IMO we have 4 options

1)Let Jb walk = 2 first rounders High in the draft. Last first rounders we probably see until 2024 if we land King.

2)trade one first rounder for a gun using the Billings cap space. Draft with the other.

3)try and bring Bing across next season using one of those picks and 2022 first. Maybe bring a second back in this year.

4) Re-sign Billings. Draft a kid. Go again with the same core that haven’t elevated and pretty much hope someone goes to the next level.

The problem with 4.

it doesn’t add anything new to a list that lacks a true star outside of Steele.
The depth is also horrific - especially talls at either end. Taking late picks and mid season draft picks doesn’t mean it’s impossible but it limits the access to the better potential kids.

if you look at the list of the top contenders they have youth and depth with stars. We are lacking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This thread is amazing. The Saints played very good footy and lost the game through very poor kicking for goal. I was frustrated, then angry and then the inevitable happened - the Cats just got away and yet we still had chances to make the game even closer, or accidentally fall over the line. Other than obvious mistakes, we played really good football against a really good, tough, experienced team. The umpiring didn't do justice to our play and the Cats got away with murder. And we still nearly won.

Its sport, its a game. We all watched the same game and yet some of the observations made here on players, coaches and fellow supporters borders on sheer lunacy. Some of it is utterly pathetic. We have the right to our views and our passions but there is no excuse for abuse. What I saw last night was a team having a red hot go all game and that played much better than the Cats for more of the game than they did. OK, we still lost but not because they weren't absolutely committed.

Ratten said very clearly that a few weeks ago there were many things to fix up and now there are only a couple. That is a huge improvement and all credit must go to the club for meeting those challenges and lifting their performance. We've had a cruel run with injuries and continue to improve despite that. For god's sake, support what we have, not bleat, moan and bitch about what we don't. We've got the basis for a very good team for years to come and it's been a decade since we've been able to say that. We've got a bright future.

For all the frustration of last night I was delighted with some of our passages of play and the sheer effort of everyone out there. That's much more than can be said for some of the posters on here.

Or you drop them to help them find confidence in their game. Have them get easy possessions, find the ball, get some touches and kick some goals without the pressure that comes with playing on Channel 7 in a game that will be analyzed for the next 7 days.
Players don’t just play VFL for a kick in the ass. It can help them mentally.
I said it last night and I stand by it. If King can’t beat his goal kicking problem, it could stick with him for his career. We don’t need to force him into the spotlight and ruin him like Melbourne ruined Jack Watts
He's a key forward and would be playing in a 2nds team that has one midfielder at suburban grounds in typically wild conditions.

The best place for him to find goal kicking form is with AFL midfielders kicking it to him, at a roofed venue with perfect conditions.

One of the more frustrating losses I can remember. King was unstoppable, but his misses hurt. The snap from 5m out had me mystified, suggests it's a focus thing because he would kick that every time in training. A soda for the modern player.

Just have to hope that we can take some momentum and confidence into next week and beat the Dogs. Win that and the season is well and truly alive.

I think what we saw yesterday is that when we are on we can beat anyone. But we have to make the most of easy opportunities.

Great to see Crouch consistently playing well.

Hope Marshall is ok, would be a big loss of he's out for a while.

Following this club can be exhausting.

We put in a much better show than i thought we would. MUCH better.

The Ryder/Marshall thing is just huge for us.

Ive been really flat the last few weeks. But i'm actually ok with our list. I was more worried about coaching etc.

I think this playing group can potentially give things a shake. I thought it would be this year. I don't think that any more. Too many cards stacked against us now.

Moving forward, we need to get hanners off our books. I kept the faith for a while but it's beyond a joke now. We can't afford his contract to cost us another Treloar.

Max King? Had a bad night in front of goal... that's all. Love the kid. Let's get around him. He's going to be an absolute star of the competition and i'm happy he's playing for us.
The Treloar contract was an absolute dog of a thing and personally I'm not remotely bothered we missed on him.
However the concept that Hanner's contract is preventing us from anything, needs to be put to bed.
We front loated the crap out of his deal, and now he'd be not much more than an average wage.
The culprits are more like JB, Seb, Jones, Kent, Doogs, Robbo, Hill and Jweb who are all on overs.

All but Doogs and Hill will expire this year, and as a couple of posters have already suggested we'll be primed for an big money assault in the next couple of years.

Seldom have the big $$$ trades lived up to expectations either. We should appreciate our position for the moment and look long term...

The thing with max is that his set shot itself isn’t bad. It’s just his routine is so off.
1. He gets way to close to the man on the mark.

2. He kicks off like 4 steps.

3. he rushes ( in turn kicks whilst he is still exhausted

4. He stabs at it.

The thing is that is so frustrating is when I saw him in the VFL he was kicking through the footy. Clearing 50 metres easily. He needs to just clean up the routine. Stay focused and get some help

Yeh bang on. Especially point 3. I said it 3 or 4 times last night, his snap from the pocket was most evident, he didn’t even have the right grip on the ball as he started his approach.

Frawley did well on Hawkins and frankly has a place in the team for games against teams with 3 big key forwards, I just wish he knew that he’s only good at football when he’s not in possesion of the football, if he gets it he needs to kick it long down the line or handball to someone who can kick it.
It's impossible to say whether he would have done much better than Joyce tho. Obviously back line did a good job limiting their kpf scoring, but watching the game don't remember that many times where I thought he saved a goal and he cost us 2. His experience would have been valuable back there tho, as would the experience for another player who we see as a future kpd getting a game instead.

I spent last night in Mission Beach in FNQ without mobile reception because Vodafone and without internet because Telstra and a lightning strike. So had no idea of the result till walking the beach this morning (sand crunching between my toes, sun rising above the Coral Sea blessing my body and a fine zephyr ruffling through my hair) when a stray sms score update chanced upon my phone. I have reached Townsville so once more back in civilisation so my question is: should I watch the replay or go to a bar?

Go the bar... then watch the replay.

there’s some good footy if you can stomach the easy misses.

Go watch it, we played really well for the majority of the time. Focus on the positives of King.

And regarding the missed goals, forewarned is fore armed.

Fox footy
David King talking about Seb Ross and his kicking . King how is just not good enough to butcher the ball like he did

so much on the money
I'd take everyone of ross kicks over that one Long delivered that resulted in a goal against.

I can get players on the run or in tight situations spraying one. But longs was under no pressure and the kick looked lazy as all ****.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 9, 2021: St.Kilda v Geelong *WEBSTER 100TH* *WILKIE 50TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back