Review Round 9, 2023: Box Hill Hawks v Southport Sharks, 20 May 2023, 12.05pm @ BHCO

Remove this Banner Ad

Stanley is not far from the finished product. However can’t see him displacing a CMac.

Maric was good - would like to see Tucker or Elliot in action soon. But then again they may have been kept under wraps.

Hustwaite should get a few games with the AFL side before the end of year.

The depth at BH is fantastic - some of BH listed guys can’t get a game with the Hawthorn listed guys getting first priority.

Good win over the Sharks. They have been pretty good over the last few years.

Same players stand out. Osullivan Hustwaite and BMac. Great to see Serong out there he is a very very good prospect. Having seen him next to Maric, Serong is quite a bit bigger so not sure we would take him as Serong a better player. Would almost be a waste of a pick.

That was a well-rounded team performance with no individual standout.

Hustwaite was moved to the middle after Stephens was taken off and was our best mid, his work in traffic is reminiscent of Tommy Mitchell.
Ramsden was slaughtered by Crossley in the ruck. His work and efforts around the ground were good but this game showed he needs some time to build his core strength to compete with the brutes.
BMacDonald was very good, using his speed to break lines multiple times. He is very evasive, but most importantly uses his speed to close down opponents defensively.
Scrimshaw looked a class above but also somewhat disinterested. A few casual efforts in an otherwise solid game.
Denver passed the eye test with his spoiling attempts and marking but I wish he would get more involved in transition.
Greene could have kicked 4 but was wasteful. I thought he was largely overshadowed by the other forwards.
Worried about Finn. He’s not getting midfield minutes and looks average at best in other positions.
O'Sullivan does some exceptional things like winning a 3v1 and pinpointing a target, but also has some raw moments.
Bennetts was solid without being outstanding, more consistent than Sully but not as many highs this game.
Good to Serong back out there and having an impact.
Midseason option Maric looked promising, having a handful of good moments. Has a similar game to Serong.
Stanley possesses zip and clean kicking, not sure what his role would be at AFL level though.

Same players stand out. Osullivan Hustwaite and BMac. Great to see Serong out there he is a very very good prospect. Having seen him next to Maric, Serong is quite a bit bigger so not sure we would take him as Serong a better player. Would almost be a waste of a pick.

If Kosi and Jeka papers are stamped we will take Maric.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was a well-rounded team performance with no individual standout.

Hustwaite was moved to the middle after Stephens was taken off and was our best mid, his work in traffic is reminiscent of Tommy Mitchell.
Ramsden was slaughtered by Crossley in the ruck. His work and efforts around the ground were good but this game showed he needs some time to build his core strength to compete with the brutes.
BMacDonald was very good, using his speed to break lines multiple times. He is very evasive, but most importantly uses his speed to close down opponents defensively.
Scrimshaw looked a class above but also somewhat disinterested. A few casual efforts in an otherwise solid game.
Denver passed the eye test with his spoiling attempts and marking but I wish he would get more involved in transition.
Greene could have kicked 4 but was wasteful. I thought he was largely overshadowed by the other forwards.
Worried about Finn. He’s not getting midfield minutes and looks average at best in other positions.
O'Sullivan does some exceptional things like winning a 3v1 and pinpointing a target, but also has some raw moments.
Bennetts was solid without being outstanding, more consistent than Sully but not as many highs this game.
Good to Serong back out there and having an impact.
Midseason option Maric looked promising, having a handful of good moments. Has a similar game to Serong.
Stanley possesses zip and clean kicking, not sure what his role would be at AFL level though.

Excellent write-up. I agree with it all.

I’d like to add to your info on Ramsden vs Crossley.

Ramsden (20, 203cm, ~92kg?) vs Crossley (23, 199cm, 105kg+, delisted from the Suns after his use of a banned mostly recreational drug = Crossley is a quality footy player and could dominate the VFL for the next 7+ years). He was a huge test for Max, and Crossley won.

Crossley looks heavier than his stated weight, … at a guess he is 110 to 115kgs. Plays like Mumford.
Ramsden constantly tried to find a way around Crossley but he was impossible to move. The height difference was not enough for Max to reach over and so Crossley, who owned the drop zone, won the day on taps around the ground. Ramsden looked better when contesting the centre throw-up (no bounces).

Ramsden’s greatest advantage over Crossley in a 1-on-1 was his stamina and ability to get around the ground. Due to the scrappy nature of the game and the fact that Box Hill only had 1 ruckman with Long as the backup, the bigger man was always going to win.

I generally agree with your statement, “ Ramsden was slaughtered by Crossley in the ruck. His work and efforts around the ground were good but this game showed he needs some time to build his core strength to compete with the brutes.”

We both agree that if Ramsden will become a ruckman, the bigger guys will likely push him around.

He needs to be our Fwd / Ruck. And he shows all of the tools to be that fWD /Ruck. Days like today against a quality heavy-weight ruck are learning experiences for Ramsden.

Last edited:
Was at the game second half. Thought DGB had some good moments. Three good marks in the third term. Turned two of them over with poor disposal decisions - taking the wrong option. Looks to be unfit in terms of taking hits - often out of breath/winded after spoiling/marking efforts. Either does not have the fitness to be involved in chains of play, or lacks the knowhow to do so.
Maric is raw but exciting. Something to work with for whoever picks him up.
Ramsden was pretty good around the ground aside from ruck contests. His forward craft is excellent, so it looks like he might spend the rest of the season working on his ruckwork as the main guy. Will be good for him in the long run.

We won the clearances, perhaps Ramsden just allowed them to hit it our guys!

These games are ideal for Ramsden. The heavy track erodes his athletic advantages so he has to go body on body more, which is how he will improve. One up, against two bigger bodies; I loved that he kept banging away.

Thanks for the report. Do either of these guys look like draftable prospects / have some clear afl qualities? MSD seems a lot thinner this year.

Excellent write-up. I agree with it all.

I’d like to add to your info on Ramsden vs Crossley.

Ramsden (20, 203cm, ~92kg?) vs Crossley (23, 199cm, 105kg+, delisted from the Suns after his use of a banned mostly recreational drug = Crossley is a quality footy player and could dominate the VFL for the next 7+ years). He was a huge test for Max, and Crossley won.

Crossley looks heavier than his stated weight, … at a guess he is 110 to 115kgs. Plays like Mumford.
Ramsden constantly tried to find a way around Crossley but he was impossible to move. The height difference was not enough for Max to reach over and so Crossley, who owned the drop zone, won the day on taps around the ground. Ramsden looked better when contesting the centre throw-up (no bounces).

Ramsden’s greatest advantage over Crossley in a 1-on-1 was his stamina and ability to get around the ground. Due to the scrappy nature of the game and the fact that Box Hill only had 1 ruckman with Long as the backup, the bigger man was always going to win.

I generally agree with your statement, “ Ramsden was slaughtered by Crossley in the ruck. His work and efforts around the ground were good but this game showed he needs some time to build his core strength to compete with the brutes.”

We both agree that if Ramsden will become a ruckman, the bigger guys will likely push him around.

He needs to be our Fwd / Ruck. And he shows all of the tools to be that fWD /Ruck. Days like today against a quality heavy-weight ruck are learning experiences for Ramsden.
Ramsden needs a couple more preseasons and to develop the core strength to play the role we have him pegged for. Enjoy the ride

Remove this Banner Ad

Back