(3rd, 7-2) v North Melb. (1st, 8-0-1)
7.45pm AEDT, Norwood Oval
7mate - VIC, SA, WA, NSW, QLD

Saturday, 26 October

GWS Giants
(16th, 1-7-1) v Fremantle (6th, 6-3)
2.05pm AEDT, Henson Park
7two - NSW, WA

Gold Coast (17th, 1-7-1) v Port Adelaide (7th, 5-4)
4.05pm AEDT, People First Stadium
7two - QLD, SA

West Coast (11th, 4-5) v Geelong (12th, 3-5-1)
6.05pm AEDT, Mineral Resources Park
Seven - WA

Essendon (8th, 5-4) v Richmond (5th, 6-3)
8.15pm AEDT, TIO Stadium
7mate - VIC, SA, WA, NSW, QLD

Sunday, 27 October

W. Bulldogs
(13th, 3-6) v St Kilda (10th, 4-5)
1.05pm AEDT, Mars Stadium
7mate - VIC

Collingwood (18th, 1-8) v Carlton (14th, 3-6)
3.05pm AEDT, Victoria Park
7mate - VIC, SA

Brisbane (4th, 7-2) v Sydney (15th, 2-7)
5.05pm AEDT, Brighton Homes Arena
7two - QLD, NSW

Once again, despite the fact we're supposedly past the "compressed part of the fixture", four teams open the round off 5-day breaks. Could've just put Haw-Melb on Friday night, then pushed back Adel-NM to have a standard 5-game Saturday. No consideration for player welfare or potential impact on the quality of football though.

But hey, you don't need me to highlight (using telescopic hindsight) everything the AFL has done wrong concerning AFLW. That's what all the Nine-owned newspapers, radio stations and podcasts are for!

The undefeated Kangaroos take on the Crows who have lost 2 games this year by a combined margin of 4 points. This follows last year when the teams met each other twice for a combined margin of 4 points. This is the fourth-consecutive H&A season in which the matchup has taken place in South Australia.

In addition to that game, the result of the Hawks and Dees in stinking hot Cairns will be pivotal for determining the top 2/top 4/top 8. Also, if Hawthorn keep winning, there will soon be a million-dollar cheque with their name on it.

Essendon and Richmond, playing in stinking hot Darwin for AFLW Dreamtime, will also have a huge say on how the first week fixture of finals turns out. And the Dockers and Power just need to win their games on the road vs cellar dwellers to not merely help lock away their spots in the 8, but also to avoid looking like flaky teams not worthy of finals.

After 8 encounters at Ikon Park, Collingwood will finally play host to Carlton at Victoria Park unless a sink hole forms in the turf (EDIT: just been informed, if that happens, groundstaff will fill the hole with sand and the players will just avoid that quadrant of the ground). The Blues are aiming to go 4-6, which is what they managed last year after starting 4-2 and then... falling in a hole.

I'm tipping:
Melb by 12
NM by 3
Frem by 12
PA by 12
Geel by 24
Rich by 24
StK by 24
Carl by 12
BL by 50

Using the same logic which served me well last week, I have to go with Melbourne again in what could be the 2nd last match with real intrigue in determining who does/n't make the 8.

And Ess v Rich could be the last, though tbh it should just be a straightforward Tigers win if not for the conditions potentially making it a dicier assignment. A Dees win, and a big Richmond win (say 40+), could turn next week's Rich v Haw into a showdown for 4th.

Don't have a huge amount of confidence tipping Freo who weren't great last week, but GWS would need to be efficient in front of goal to start the game and build scoreboard pressure (very important, as we all know) which is obviously something they haven't done this season.

I'm going with Port just because of how much they've got to play for, but a loss here probably wouldn't be as bad as it looks on paper. GC are starting to look like their mid-ladder selves again, and it's hard to forget how Rowbottom monstered PA last year in a draw.

And given my assumption that last week's awful showing by the Blues was heavily influenced by the travel/5-day break combo, I'm expecting a win over Collingwood by 2+ goals. A Carlton loss would have to put Buck 2nd in the firing line behind Bernasconi.

This seems like a good graphic:

...though it has at least one glaring error, which is that Georgie Prespakis did not win Best First Year Player lol. Neither in 2020, which is when Georgia Patrikios won it. Nor in the year of her actual debut, which was 2022 when Rowbottom won it.

This seems like a good graphic:

...though it has at least one glaring error, which is that Georgie Prespakis did not win Best First Year Player lol. Neither in 2020, which is when Georgia Patrikios won it. Nor in the year of her actual debut, which was 2022 when Rowbottom won it.

And now it has been changed:

...to include Mackenzie Ford, not to correct the other thing.

Not one game on the main channel in Melbourne,I know all the programming decisions are made in Sydney but still,how's the game supposed to truly grow if 7 aren't fair dinkum

Looking forward to Geel v West C on Sat.
Hope Ella Roberts doesn’t lose the game for them.
Ok well you can also look forward to hearing from my lawyer following this shameful defamation of our queen.

I am seriously considering starting a new spite account to fully express my disappointment with your football-related opinion!

Ok well you can also look forward to hearing from my lawyer following this shameful defamation of our queen.

I am seriously considering starting a new spite account to fully express my disappointment with your football-related opinion!
You started it

Google says 26 degrees currently in Cairns, which is a very good result actually (especially compared to Saturday night, which is forecast to be played in the glorious greasiness of 30+ degrees).

You started it
Yes and nowwww I will reply like 8 times even though I have absolutely nothing of interest to add to the thread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So if Melbourne lose tonight, I guess their match vs Collingwood next week will be all about margin (potentially requiring something in the 70-80 point range).

Aflw is and will continue to grow.
More players learning the basics and risk reward. I mean for my team I’d get Voss and Williams down to teach both.
I guess the Pies had a similar thought:

Greg Williams has helped out at Carlton trainings before, not sure if he's been down there since the Harford/Prespakis era.

The dipshits running AFLW broadcasts... multi-angle replay of a tackle prioritised over a genuine specky ffs.
I had no issues with the replays as it was two plays in quick succession from the same player.

7 minutes before we get a 2nd replay, and 2nd angle, of the Breed mark.

Pure incompetence, would never happen for a men's match. Anybody who says otherwise is a clown.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW Round 9 - 2024 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back