AFLW Round 9 - 2024 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

About the fifth GWS match this season where the contrast between uniforms is just absolute crap.
GWS in a dark Guernsey doesn't clash with Freo in a dark Guernsey but Port in a black and teal Guernsey apparently does clash with Gold Coast in a red and yellow one. AFLW is falling nicely in line with the men's ridiculous uniform decisions

Very winnable game for Gold Coast based on the way Port have started. However, not seeing a lot of desperation from most of the Suns player either. GC forwards trailing in behind constantly for Q1.

It's also worth highlighting those two pressure-free turnover kicks by Katelyn Pope on the wing. Obviously a solid state league competitor who isn't up to the top level. Not a crime, but I just think of how that's two devastating forays forward next year if it's Young or even Tahau in that position.

Hmm first quarter largely controlled by West Coast but they trail following two defensive breakdowns... and some wayward kicking for goal.

The surprising part being that they controlled the play, not the back-half lapses and bad misses.

Is Aishling Moloney the best Irish woman to play in the AFLW?

If she isn't she has to be in conversation, she is mobile, a very good mark and her skills with foreign shaped ball are excellent.

So very little on the line with this game realistically, but I'm still finding it quite engaging.

Moloney still lacks of a lot of control and finesse with regards to general play and combining with teammates, not unlike the early years of Staunton who remains my no.1 Irish player for now on the basis that she would've been a multi-AA and league leading goalkicker in a better team.

Used to be the case that Amy McDonald would have to twirly whirly her way out of tackles. Today, just walking straight through them after a slow start in her return game.

Might be a chaotic end to Q4 if both teams show as much poise and match awareness as they did at the end of Q3... which is to say very little.

33-point win with a difference of just 3 scoring shots, and you'd have to say it was Geelong's ability to convert in the first half when West Coast were on top which really set up the game for them.

And when I say Geelong, you can basically read that as Aishling Moloney, who jumps out to a 5-goal lead in the Katie Brennan Medal. It'd be great to see her hold (if not extend) that lead next week--nice little reward for a high quality player and hopefully helps reduce the chances of unworthy AA selections.

Ella Roberts now with a real ugly career tally of 10 goals 20 behinds, and it'd be reasonable to guess her set shot kicking % is most responsible for that ratio. Perhaps Daisy Pearce needs to take control of her routine, Sam Mitchell-style.

First time with 30+ disposals today, enabled by her workrate around the ground which included 5 uncontested marks. Consequently I must bring up Zarlie Goldsworthy again (for the last time this season). Last year's Rising Star winner. Not some scrub. A month older than Roberts but has quickly fallen well behind in terms of developing her game and is in no way promising to make up any ground in 2025.

Impressive start by Brennan, before even considering the injury cloud. Given last week's late flourish, can only wonder what might have been for Richmond if her day didn't end early.

Richmond letting themselves be Joel Bowdened for a match in NT. How fitting.

Speaking of gritty defenders of the Tiger persuasion: the camera angles and cuts kinda disguised Libby Graham's defensive effort leading up to that Georgia Gee goal, but it was delist worthy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW Round 9 - 2024 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back